Earthquake in the UK - We're all dooooomed!!!

Started by Qube, February 17, 2018, 17:16:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

"Yellowstone supervolcano has seen upwards of 200 quakes since February 8, along with countless smaller tremors."
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/yellowstone-national-park-supervolcano-earthquake-swarms-spd/

Rooster

I just read the article, doesn't seem to be that bad.

QuoteThe largest earthquake was an unremarkable magnitude 2.9, and all of them have hit about five miles beneath the surface. Larger earthquakes have rocked the region in the past, some as destructive as the Hebgen Lake quake and others causing minimal damage.

QuoteBut earthquake swarms are frequent in the region, accounting for more than half of the parks' seismic activity. And they haven't triggered any volcanic eruptions yet.

QuoteLast year, a swarm ten times larger than the current one rocked the same region, generating about 2,400 earthquakes between June and September 2017.

Rick Nasher

True. Just kidding around a bit. lol

It's been like this for quite some time.
Depending on what news source you read "the end is neigh, all goes to .." or "all's fine, just go to sleep".  :)

However.. when the authorities(gov) start to say "nothing to worry about, just stay indoors", I'd start running as fast as possible, for usually means sh*t has hit the fan and they want to avoid panic, chaos and looting, so they  themselves can get the heck out.  ;D

Or perhaps I've seen to many movies.. lol

meems

There won't ever be a super volcano event in yellow stone, there never was one. All the rocks can be explained by steady upwelling mineral deposition & typical volcanos. There's nothing there that needs a hypothetical supervolcano to explain it.

Rick Nasher

Quote from: meems on February 22, 2018, 22:47:38
There won't ever be a super volcano event in yellow stone, there never was one. All the rocks can be explained by steady upwelling mineral deposition & typical volcanos. There's nothing there that needs a hypothetical supervolcano to explain it.

I almost feel like that's a pity.  ;D