January 22, 2019, 06:07:59 PM

Author Topic: Logic Question  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
Re: Logic Question
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2018, 11:30:34 PM »
Notice affixed to my front door.

Offline Derron

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2018, 11:45:45 PM »
So you are 42 and somebody knows it?

Maybe you've not done proper waste separation and a neighbour is pissed off.

bye
Ron

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2018, 11:50:45 PM »
Now there's a sense of humor. Good one.

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #93 on: December 28, 2018, 05:46:35 AM »
A group of leggy blondes, thats one way to celebrate the new year ;)
happy coding ;)

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #94 on: January 04, 2019, 03:23:56 AM »
Can we have some conspiracy theories please ;-)

Two computers, right next to each other at work, both look up 'Weather' on their PC on google simultaneously.

The weather at the current time, the next few days, a week from now plus the wind and humidity different.

?

Offline Derron

« Reply #95 on: January 04, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
They lookup not _simultaneously_ in the sense of "at the same time" but with a certain delay - maybe even 2-300ms (depends on reaction of the users saying "pressing 'update' now!").

Wind speed can fluctuate quite a bit - and with "wind" comes prediction of "[air] pressure" - which affects temperature (as wind moves the warm/cold air). This might result in the 1 degree difference.

If the software did a "hard" cut at certain pressure levels ("from x to y no rain, from y to z light rain, ...") then even the "rain/sun/cloudy"-thing could differ.

BTW in TVTower I use this kind of "level" system for the weather simulation (I put the weather conditions into 10 levels and these levels decide further stuff). This is to get rid of some unneeded (computation wise) complexity.

bye
Ron

Offline Holzchopf

« Reply #96 on: January 04, 2019, 08:04:08 AM »
IIRC Tom Scott did a video about a very similar thing... Or was it on Computerphile? I don't know any more. Anyway, the thing is, that bigger online services need multiple servers to run in order to serve all the pages and data requested all the time. So they distribute the data from the "master" to the "slave" servers, where everything is cached and to which all the page requests are "redirected" (I put that in quotation marks because you don't get a HTTP 3xx response, the redirect happens behind the scenes, hidden from the user's eyes).

Eventually, those servers request the most recent data from the master server. To not DDOSing that one, they do that in cycles which apparently can take some minutes. So it's not only the 2-300ms delay, it could also be that the two computers got responses from two different Google servers with different cached versions of what you were looking for.

Offline Derron

« Reply #97 on: January 04, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »
Holzchopf might be right - albeit newer services try to keep their databases synchronized to avoid these discrepancies - but as he said, depending on how they implemented their stuff you might get responses from different datasets.

Maybe you can fetch a kind of "json/xml" response of your weather service - it might contain the time stamp of "measurement".

bye
Ron

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »
Perfect Sense! Exactly...different servers in some sort of cluster or something....slightly different response to prevent DDOS

And now for something completely different.......anyone want to see my dating profile... ha ha ha (good joke)

see below!

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #99 on: January 07, 2019, 09:41:47 PM »
Life as I see it...(yours may vary...)

attached

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
Page 5530.. You've been busy Matty.   ;)
I'd say you are to demanding on yourself. I found women usually go for people who come across confident even though they don't know jack. It's about radiating positivity from the inside out.

Dating profile, well.. I think round here there won't be many dames to conquer - if any. Not meant as a neanderthaler-#metoo-downtalk-to-women-male-chauvinist-pig, just reality that %-wise there are just not that many into coding/tech in comparison, because perhaps they are not that interested by nature, exceptions granted?
They can try from ground up to promote this and you will see an certain increase in female coders( probably very good ones too), but imho it's not by nature like that or due to repression by males.

In 60's-70's was thought naively all role patterns were due to upbringing and repression, had nothing to do with biology and evolution, but from the many following studies and experiments conducted it, they had to conclude that boys by nature go for the techy toys and girls for the dolly ones, even from very young unbiased age, no matter how much promoted, stimulated and allowed. Was plain and simple.
Doesn't mean we can't defer from that by evolution or upbringing. I was thus allowed to play with Barbies too when visiting my cousins(mostly I took of their clothes though, which was quite educational, even when barbies aren't anatomically correct, well not 100% anyway. :)) ) Must say I've developed a taste for Barbie-like, well shaped girls, not sure it's from that, for I still do not like silicon b**bs and do not mind smaller ones too.

* If I was a google employee I'd now been fired for telling the harsh truth, which is usually too clear for women to take, triggers an emotional and angry response, for most of them like things to be a bit more blurry(hence 50 shades of gray). Oops, what did I say.. and now I definitely would have been fired.  :P

-If any women here, please comment at will, but please don't shoot, just take it like a man: equal rights=equal burdens.. 

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2019, 09:19:18 PM »
Zen like states....see attached

Offline Matty

• MattiesGames
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
Your guess is as good as mine:

In December, on a Saturday afternoon - sunny afternoon - from several houses back, across the road came this mysterious noise in my street.

It sounds a bit like an electrical transformer but it is not that. It is not an air conditioner as well.

It sounded for about 5-10 minutes of which I recorded 3 minutes of it.

What do you think such a noise would come from?

Attached sound clip.