Most used screen resolution in 2018

Started by Yue, February 07, 2018, 21:50:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Yue

What do you think is the most commonly used screen resolution today?

The idea is to establish a resolution in my overall project so that it can run smoothly on third-party computers.

IanMartin

See the info here:
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

This shows what people are actually using.  1920x1080 is most popular.

As a rule of thumb, I would try to do 1366x768 and up.  1366x768 is the hugely popular 15" laptop screen size. 

I try to center everything in the middle 1024x600 pixels of the screen.  Either that or you have to use scaling. 
Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

RemiD

even if you allow the user to choose the resolution he wants, a safe approach is to make your game in a way that it can work with a resolution which is compatible with most computers (800x600 1024x768), if some users have a larger screen, good for them, but don't expect that for all users...

cpsmith0191

Agree with remid,  a similar thread was running last year where I think the main thrust concerned the new aspect ratios. As for me I have only just stopped providing support for 640*480 and now make 800*600 my min res. You can always allow users to pick a resolution from the opening screen. (using screen max resolution detect to set limits) have fun cps.

Yue

The problem I see with very low resolutions in modern monitors is that the scene is deformed, i. e. an object is more flattened horizontally, I guess it's something to do with the look but in Blitz3D, I don't have any options to do anything about it at the moment. Then I would touch resolutions such as 1366,768.

Rick Nasher

I second that:

800x600 minimum res, anything below is unusable.
1024x768 and 1280x800 as medium res(max for my 15" laptop screen)
anything above is high res.

Yue

On my monitor it happens that if you run at 800,600,1024,768 the scene is narrowed from the top, making the vehicle look a bit flattened for example.

Qube

Quote from: Yue on February 20, 2018, 02:17:00
On my monitor it happens that if you run at 800,600,1024,768 the scene is narrowed from the top, making the vehicle look a bit flattened for example.
You need to code your game to take into account different aspect ratio's of varying resolutions.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

peteswansen

Yue,   if you use windowed resolutions instead of full screen, there should be no distortions of the objects in view.    My monitors "native" resolution is 1920 by 1080. But I can use windowed resolutions of 1024 x 768, or 800 x 600 , or even 1900 x 900 and they all look fine.

RemiD

800x600 minimum res, anything below is unusable
in windowed mode, lower resolutions are ok, whatever your screen size...

TomToad

I see a lot of games that will pop up a window on the first run which allows you to select things such as resolution, quality, turn on/off features etc... Sometimes even doing a short fly-through of a scene so you can see how those settings will look.  The window will be auto-populated with suggested options by detecting the capabilities of the computer, so you can just click OK.

This might be a good option to try as you can never know if the user has that one system that can't handle the default resolution.  Had a game someone on the old BB forums created that defaulted to 1080p.  Couldn't get in the game to change it as my laptop wasn't capable of that resolution.  I did finally get it to run by changing the code with a hex editor.  The author also removed the hard coded default and auto selected the desktop resolution in a later version of the game.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Yue

Well, I think I'll have to do something about it, the other viable option is for the program to automatically recognize itself from the desktop, and launch in full-screen mode, without downloading a game launcher that recognizes the available resolution options.   

ENAY

I still remember the days when 640x480 was considered high res and 320x240 was low res. :)

meems

on the subject of screen modes, i notice some new laptops don't support 640x480. My games tend to be made for low res and usually 640x480. I can take time to adjust them to 800x600. But is 800x600 the floor for current gfxcards? Or is 1024x768 now the minimum for some?