blitz is still very fast, it seems

Started by meems, February 04, 2018, 18:08:46

Previous topic - Next topic

meems

so I was lazy cos I wouldn't use any other language than blitzbasic from 2001 to about 2012. This meant I effectively forgot how to code in C, Java, Haskell and several other languages I did at uni. Then I moved to blitzplus in 2012. In 2017 I made a new effort to learn several of the standard industry languages. I'm surprised that blitzplus, an old language, outperforms most modern languages in key respects. It can draw pixels much faster than JavaScript and Python. So if using 100,000 objects, and each needs to be drawn, blitzplus is far faster. I try doing the same with JS or Python and typically it freezes the window. I got one BlitzPlus program stably writing over 2 million 32bit varied pixels per sec on my subpar machine, just using WritePixel, so could have gone even faster with WritePixelFast.

Is this normal when moving from blitzplus to so-called start of the art modern languages? Do only the fastest languages outperform blitzplus? At the mo it seems blitz is as good at pixel pushing as any language can be, and much better than most. I was expecting the latest versions of modern non-basic languages to make blitz look like a 48K spectrum when it came to drawing graphics.

RemiD

just using WritePixel, so could have gone even faster with WritePixelFast
around 20 times faster with ReadPixelFast/WritePixelFast ( from my recent tests with Blitz3d, on a computer with Windows 10 )
quite impressive indeed !

STEVIE G

Quote from: RemiD on February 04, 2018, 19:00:54
just using WritePixel, so could have gone even faster with WritePixelFast
around 20 times faster with ReadPixelFast/WritePixelFast ( from my recent tests with Blitz3d, on a computer with Windows 10 )
quite impressive indeed !

Still life in the old dogs yet!  Yeah, the difference when using locked buffers is incredible, something I only recently discovered. 

meems

ok, so its not just me.
But what about C and gfx cards? surely with these, blitz's locked buffers can be superceded, right?

ENAY

Old skool blitz was fast even back in the day and I guess nowadays, other DirectX, not dependent on thousands of bloated third party libraries.
I like the way with Blitz3D you could zip up the folder and just copy it from one PC to the next. No massive installers, no service pack upgrades and an IDE out the box that opens in seconds.

As much as I love Unity, I do miss the simple days of the early 2000s.....