AppGameKit Mobile - Android Beta Release!-free coding on the go!

Started by Rick Nasher, February 01, 2018, 00:42:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

AppGameKit Mobile - Android Beta Release!
Today sees the release of a BETA version of our new and totally FREE AppGameKit Mobile Android app!

https://www.thegamecreators.com/post/appgamekit-android-free-version-beta-release

Qube

I saw this today and immediately hit depression that I could not whip up bits of code while in bed on my iPad :P - I hope it comes to iOS.

Although I'm not to sure of why they are doing this?. Is it more of an advert for AGK or are they wanting to do something like Coda on iOS?. More importantly, is the main AGK developer spending time on this rather than concentrating on AGK itself. As it's a freebie I would assume that it's either going to be charged for after beta or gain some in-app purchase stuff.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Same here. I was wondering about it. I can't see myself coding on a 5.5" screen of my phone. This gimmick is as useless as it could be. Maybe they saw Construct3 and thought that they need it.  But no, the resources spent to develop this could have been used elsewhere.

Derron

Coding on a touch screen is similar to writing there.
So often I hit another key ... and for coding you need either more screenspace (there are programmer keyboard apps) to see brackets, dots and the likes - or you need to use special keys to switch to another layer of keys (ABC - Special keys - Special keys 2 - ABC ...).

I understand that some runs an emergency "terminal" on his phone (at least I have, so I can - in emergency - login to servers/home-NAS/home-PC via SSH). Some might also use it to be able to check serial communication with custom devices (do that at work) without needing a normal notebook/computer nearby.

On the other hand I accept the idea of mobile development when doing "hot debugging" (game runs and you switch to some debugging mode allowing you to change/alter the code). But if you want to use that - Run your android studio/intellij and if your android API is high enough you will have a similar feature already. No need to code via your tablet - even if it was a 20" one).

Touch screens just give a different feeling when typing. On my keyboard I "feel" neighbor keys, so I know I am not "on the way to miss it next time". And yes, on a normal computer I use more than my thumbs - or index fingers (landscape mode).

bye
Ron

TomToad

I kind of like the idea.  I can code something while away from my computer and test it out.  There is suppose to be cloud storage when the app goes live, so sharing between mobile/pc will be easier.  I did try it out a bit.  IDE isn't that responsive, so I need to type slowly, and keyboard layout can be improved. Otherwise it works great.

I'm sure that when the Android version is done, an iOS should follow.  It is a bit cheaper to develop for Android, so make all the mistakes there, then the iOS port will be much smoother.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Rick Nasher

I'm guessing it probably didn't take them much effort to make this.
I find it very handy for I have to commute to and from work every day for 1 hour, so lose 2 hours feeling useless.

On the other hand: perhaps I need that time to relax. If I didn't I'd jump in the air now.  ;D

Steve Elliott

If like me, you have a good sized tablet (10.1 inch) and a portable wireless blue tooth keyboard (folds in 3 and opens to full size) then it would be useful to code and test out code when away from the computer.  Otherwise it's far too fiddly to use.

Yes like others, I wonder if they're spreading themselves a little thin.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

I have coded (i type with my thumbs) all my php html css codes using a 8inch tablet (with Android) and the text editor tool "DroidEdit" and the ftp connection tool "Ftp Client pro", so i think that it is definitely possible to create a prototype using only a tablet.
But you would still need a laptop or desktop with Windows to be able to use others tools for modifying/tweaking images/textures, modeling meshes, uvmapping, rigging, skining, animation, modifying/tweaking sounds...

Rick Nasher

I can use it while commuting to work. Great for debugging, or putting down quick ideas which can be worked on further in full when back at the main machine later on.

GaborD

I agree to the last posts. While it's not a great setup as main dev environment, it's really useful for people who commute alot. Last year I had a job with 3 hours of commute, would have definitely used it on a tablet.
Also, I can see how it is a good marketing move and helps to reach new people who probably wouldn't discover the engine otherwise.

Derron

Use a slim windows tablet - or "convertible" and voila: ready to code during your commuting sessions - and your default tools are available.

@ PHP CSS and Co
You could even do formula notations using handwriting-recognition. But it is tedious. There are surely people out there who wrote their thesis on an iPad. But this does never express, that it is a healthy scenario. Also I am sure you cannot use that much "auto correction" when doing the coding stuff. Assume it also takes a bit longer to write down stuff than with a traditional keyboard - as, like said, auto-correction or dictionaries won't help. So no "swype" or "gestures" (except for function block wrappers and so on).

If you have a fast internet connection and no real data limits, then you could also run a Remote Connection (VNC or so) to your desktop and code there. Horse power of your main machine, display and input done on your pad, phone, laptop...

It's ok if you just want to tweak things here and there, adjusting some variables and the likes - but for real heavy coding I prefer a desktop-keyboard (even laptop keyboards are a bit to narrow for my taste) and a bigger screen. Just imagine how to run Android Studio, the Layout preview, the widget area and the navigation pane - and maybe some emulator preview ... oops, no output for logcat/console. Nope, "swiping" or "pinching/zooming" is not something increasing productivity. With high enough resolutions you might be able to add everything there .. but 10 inches stay 10 inches. Also higher DPI/resolutions means you need to design for these resolutions - requiring even highe resolutions if you want to avoid scrolling through your layouts/themes.

bye
Ron

MikeHart

RemiD

It also depends on how you code and how you organize your codes...
For the game "hidden items searcher finder", what i did, and what i usually do, is that i create one different template for each gameplay element/mechanic, and regularly i merge them in one main code.
With this approach it is easier to navigate in the code, to compile it and to test it, to debug it, because each one is shorter.

I used the same approach for my php html css codes on the tablet and all went well.

Of course you also need a good ide, especially with a tablet/smartphone, or it could be a nightmare to select/edit some chars/words/lines !

I like the idea that this is so people can learn how software even works at some point. Smartphones are powerful devices and it may be a necessity at some point to just have something like this existing in the world. Knowledge allows people to fly but wandering around with a smarthphone in your pocket and not already being able to mine cryptokurrency for every step you take based on an app you created/wrote/developed yourself or downloaded for free from the AppShop is an idea. I'll put the word pipedream in here. You could compare programming from home sat at a desk to programming on a packed bus using a smartphone but some people have to actually do that to learn from it or about it. Cigarettes used to be available in vending machines in this country! Now children are able to control thugs, bullies and monsters with their ability to amaze and astound them but to know that some adults would have to be able to understand something is the point where software could change people's worlds for them. How many 9 year old girls didn't really understand why they wanted a Raspberry Pi for xmas and how many dads of 9 year old girls did something technical to earn some satisfaction for themselves?? How does this work???

People getting their people to test the "apps" they made on their phones for them is a thing. 1 year ago today there were articles on the British Government Controlled Media about massive shortfalls in the cybersecurity skills sekt0r. Get learning on that "app" you need to be running on your phone for me. :D

Rick Nasher

Another code editing option has emerged:  Notepad++ Autocompletion tier 1
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/attachment/81421

Might be handy when in places where one is not allowed to use AppGameKit IDE or AppGameKit mobile IDE, such as tightly secured workspaces.