Code a game competition - Jan 30th - Apr 10th 2018 - £500 worth of prizes \o/

Started by Qube, January 30, 2018, 00:10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

My entry updated with all the information, etc

@freeman69 could we continue the debugging in the game showcase for inferno :)

Qube

I've removed my entry from the comp as I find the absolute negativity over a 10 week game shocking. Obviously mine was a pile of shit as every post bar one was negative. Why? Why the hate?

I'm going to play all yours tonight and provide REAL feedback!
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Qube's entry-thread is gone/missing?

Edit: ok you posted meanwhile. I did not see "bad feedback". Only worries were the controlling? Aside of that (and the explosion) it looks pretty cool and the beating-sound keeps tension. I mean, you were even able to shoot and destroy ammo-packs - nice "negligibility". And as written in the PM: I liked the music (also: at least your entry has some ;-)).

And yes, you can give "REAL" feedback - think we are all old enough to _expect_ "REAL" feedback. I know my "tech demo" is aehm... "improveable", I know that I could have fixed some tiles (borders not fitting together). I know that some last-minute changes make certain elements like "from another world". I released something so "unfinished" (which I normally do NOT do as I feel kind of "ashame" then) but I wanted to show what I have done (and what not).
Most of the problems of "gameplay" or "game mechanics" are hidden to the developer as they get used to the stuff during development. And as we do not hand out "milestones" to testers (here in the forums) things get unsaid until release.

Recover your thread - your entry is worth to get played by the people (hey it is even worth to get played by some more people - outside of this forum).

----

Think IWasAdam's entry could benefit of a "lighter theming" (so exposing more details, looking a bit "cleaner"). Think the basic idea could attract a wider audience if the setting would be adjusted here and there. People enjoy being filthy/bad boys. Just think of Dungeon Keeper. So if one could add a bit of "fun" into the idea of destroying something I see potential in it. Of course clicking on 12 arrows is something perfectly suiting on mobile/handheld devices. But destroying buildings is maybe not something many "casual gamers" will enjoy to play. Dunno if it is possible but wrapping the gameplay into another theme might be worth some efforts.

@ Pipanic
you should have waited for another retro compo :-)
But cool to see so "varying" entries as soon as there is no limitation there. 3D, prerender, pixelstyle ...

@ ExBiEn
Windows was not able to do simple "Print"-Key-Screenshots and during startup I had a black rectangle in a white application screen (think during ressource loading). Is "AGK" starting with a "defined resolution" and you add the virtual resolution-scaling-thing afterwards?
I tried to "alt-tab" out of the game (to exit - as Alt+F4 did not work this time - hey, Linux+Wine, good job ;-)). It somehow still displayed the game on the desktop (without refreshing) but I was not able to do something. "Alt-tab"ed in again and it continued to play. So is this some AGK-limitation or are you using some kind of "windowed fullscreen" - or is it the fault my my Windows 10?

For now this game looks like the "best overall entry" as it has: monsters, a suiting look and nice music. Gameplay wise I did not check them all thoroughly so others might win there, but "presentation wise" I liked it the most. And yes, controlling is an issue - I got used more and more to it but for people judging by a "single try" this might be a lil put-off (next to stucking units - but this might be intentional so I wouldn't judge that as "bug").

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I too think that removing the entry was not the best thing to do. it was only the controls I didn't really like - and certainly not negative.

I even thought of removing my entry over the gameplay, but thought better about it - any feedback is good - even negative ones as it gives you an idea of people like or don't like. but in the end you must grow a slightly harder shell and not give in to the negative ninnies!

There is always something to learn. Game are horribly complex to create, you put your life and soul in them only to have them thrown against the floor and walked over. To complete a game (even if it isn't what you would have liked, etc) is an achievement.

I will be playing all of them this afternoon (in-between crying and bug hunting of course)...

Steve Elliott

I've removed my entry from the comp as I find the absolute negativity over a 10 week game shocking.  Obviously mine was a pile of shit as every post bar one was negative. Why? Why the hate?

I think ploughing time into the project into the early hours has made you tired and over react a little bit mate, but understandable getting Derron's usual in-depth critique, to a 10 week (in this case) game competition.  It's not like you spent a year on it and had time to sort out any small niggles.  But it is a very good game!

I did mention to you that regards competition rules, having immediate critique by other 'competitors' could be seen by some as sabotage so shouldn't be allowed until all the votes are in - except for bugs that could then be fixed.

I think somebody that uses a track pad as a gaming device ffs shouldn't harp on about controls! (Adam).  Derron will always find the tiniest faults (in his eyes) and go into great detail.  I think this is well intentioned rather than wanting to 'pick apart' a project.  It's something that I've got used too and take it in the spirit of helping suggestions.  At first it annoyed though lol  :)

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

Oh Steve - your so predictable...

Bloody F%*%(%(% windows!!!
edge turns to crap, wtf is sticky keys and no narrator is chatting to me and everything turned slooooooow - Way to go MS
Lets just reboot !!! |%*%^&%*%*%*  More fu%*%*% updates.
I'm about to blow a gasket here!!!!!

round157

Qube,

Please don't delete your entry. I think that many members want to try or play your game.

Every entry is priceless.

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on April 11, 2018, 12:37:56
I've removed my entry from the comp as I find the absolute negativity over a 10 week game shocking. Obviously mine was a pile of shit as every post bar one was negative. Why? Why the hate?

I'm going to play all yours tonight and provide REAL feedback!

Boooooo?!  >:(

I though some of the comments were a bit harsh and nit-picky myself.  I didn't read them all but most were about controls, one from someone who didn't even have a fecking mouse lol and others may just be uncoordinated.  You'd never win :)  Take it on the chin I say and get the link back up as I and many other would like to give it a bash and give you constructive feedback!!   

Failing that, could you send me an e-mail with a link to a copy please as I would love to give it a go?  I think it's only fair as you stole my idea  :P

Xerra

I think I must have missed some comments then as I didn't see anything negative about someones game. I'll admit to being ready for Derron to lay into mine but he seems to have missed it out. Maybe I got lucky :-)

I think because it's a competition then we're kind of opening ourselves up to get feedback we might not like. We are being judged on our work after all. I've just bleated about mine being the first game I've written with GML as an excuse to maybe avoid some harsh judging but it's not really a valid excuse as I've messed about half coding games for years now in other languages. Doesn't mean you can all lay into Envahi, now, though, guys, ha ha.

Please put your entry back in Qube. I did download a copy before you pulled the post but it deserves to be included and I'd like to be voting on five games, not four (obviously not voting for my own). I'm betting you worked a lot harder on yours than I did on mine.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

@ Xerra
Your's is still to come. So don't worry, your game won't get away from me ;-). Let's hope for a nifty/attractive gameplay as I do not know the original one (started with Atari 2600 as console and KC85 as "computer" - went right into classic consoles and 286+ computers then). Graphical wise other games look more attractive but gameplay first (at least in almost any case)!

@ critics
Think Adam did not like the music and the controls and I blamed the controls to be "uncommon" and the missing "exit"-ability from within the game. Rest (aside of the personal opinion about the "explosion effect") was positive stuff I think

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Yes the comments were deleted along with the whole thread Xerra.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteI think ploughing time into the project into the early hours has made you tired and over react a little bit mate
I don't think so :)

Critiquing is one thing but it was over the top harsh bitterness hiding as "constructive criticism" and there was nothing constructive about it. No other entry got piled in on like mine did within minutes of posting.

Me : I wrote the music.
Adam : I don't like the music.

What is the point of even saying that?.

Sure, point out any bugs and feel free to offer genuine constructive criticism but the way it was done came across as bitterness.

Granted, the control system may not be to your preference but within a minute you're used to it. I will shake my head at complaining about that because you use a trackpad. Congrats, that's the first trackpad gamer I've come across in my life.

The way the "comments" were worded just sucked any fun out of the comp for me and that's why my game is not part of the comp anymore. It's supposed to be a bit of fun yet for some reason it's in immediately with every nit pick detail they can find.

Yes, I know the game is not perfect but Jesus, it's a 10 week game written in my spare time ffs. Not 3 years of working on something all day long.

QuoteI and many other would like to give it a bash and give you constructive feedback!!
Be my guest :) - but it's not part of the comp anymore.

ExBiEn - Windows
ExBien - Mac

Edit - Forgot to add how to control your squad...

Key 1, 2, 3, 4 to pick individual player.
Key 5 to select all your dudes.
Key W to move your active dudes towards the location of the cross hairs
Key S to move your active dudes away from the location of the cross hairs
Key A / D to strafe your dudes around the cross hairs
Key G for grenades.
Key B for bullets.
Right mouse to fire.
You can also click on the dudes in the side panel to pick who's working and who isn't.

Level 1 is face huggers
Level 2 is Aliens ( EBE's )
Level 3 is both the above + sentry guns

I think that's pretty much it.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

I am pretty sure to not feel any bitterness.  Also "nitpicking" is what is doable after the first minutes of playing. I think it is important to describe what the first thoughts in a game are. If you get "used" to something, you won't judge it neutral anylonger. You are using a Mac for 10 years, now judge Mac versus Windows - who wins?

Regarding controls: Yes, I got a bit more used to it, but this just made other little things more visible (units get "stuck"/"left behind") - maybe intended, maybe not). But still I got plenty of moments in which I moved the "wrong way". This was always when looking at the minimap or at the game surroundings.

Now assume someone is having some games to play this evening. They start yours and get a bit disappointed by the controls. Do they say "ahh, let's get used to it and continue playing..." or do they say "nahh, not my kind of game, let's play XYZ".  Yes, we as the ones here on the forum play the game "differently" (knowing the efforts put into, the time, motivation, ... even know the people a bit and their hobbies/interests to explain certain stuff in a game). But at least for me theses games are written for: oneself (to see what is able in a timeframe - or in my case, what is not ;-)) - and for others. So the more people enjoy a game, the better.
This is the reason why it would be nice if games are not suited to the developer but to the "big bunch" of potential players (even if it sacrifices some stuff for that).

When I post software, assets, ... I am glad about a "fast response". If done before the deadline it would even give the chance to change something (if done with some lines of code). These quick responses can just consist of "looks good/not cool", "sounds nice/not nice" ... You cannot go into detail after playing it for ~10 minutes (more or less).
But at least my person is interested in responses/reactions to the stuff I post. I think it is better to have some quick responses first (while I am still watching at the forum) than to wait hours and hours not knowing what people think.

So for now (sorry Xerra, still not played yours, somehow (thanks cube and your midnight-deadline ;-)) I am a bit tired) I enjoyed all tried entries. It's cool to play something which is a bit "exclusive" (you are one of the first users to try out the stuff...!). And for now nobody put online some "unity template game" or games with magenta backgrounds instead of transparency (slight wink to GML - cliche :-)).
While I understand that people are sometimes offended by critics I have to repeat myself: we are old enough and know what "might come" when releasing stuff to the public. If you are not self-confident about the stuff you do: do not release it. But hey - we released it, we are proud of it. And who cares if someone does not like the music or controls? I _bet_ we all enjoyed (somehow) to have played something _new_ - and to find out what the other forum user achieved/tried to do. It's like opening a gift. Put your game back into the competition: I bet it gets voted into the TOP 5!

@ ExBiEn
Maybe add (if desired to enhance later on) some kind of "come together" button. A bell or so. Hitting that icon makes all the units come together towards the cross hair. Also some kind of "rotation" might be of interest. So you hit the "rotating arrows" icon and unit A moves to unit B, unit B to unit C ... so they "switch places". Why? sometimes you have an injured member in the group, this enables to put behind the front line.
This can get even more useful if you plan to add more weapons and "friendly fire" (but I wont add it as it removes a bit of "fast paced" gameplay).

BTW the baldy old man looked a bit like the dude from Lost :-).

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Mate I saw it as largely positive, talking about the atmosphere the game generated and such - the other stuff I would dismiss as personal preference.  Only a 10 week comp and people either were unable to complete, or just got something in by the skin of their teeth.  Therefore I can understand you getting pissed at people when you have no time left to address any personal preference on details.  Nothing you can do about it then, so why comment negatively?  If some feedback had come *before* the deadline then that's all good.  After then I can understand how you feel.

I disagreed with arguments that the controls were off and pointed that out - WASD keys and mouse are pretty much standard for a reason.  A is to the left of D, W is higher on the keyboard (so is obviously forward) and S is lower on the keyboard (so is back) it's logical, my fingers took to this configuration immediately (plus I have a proper mouse so all fluid shooting).

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Steve - it was not about "WASD" at all, but the "fact" that the movement was based on the local position/rotation of the units towards the cross hair rather than a screen based orientation. This works well for cars (think it was the same way in "Van Tourismo") but somehow it felt a bit odd when it got connected to the mouse movement (crosshair movement). Maybe it was as the mouse used screen based orientation (move up and it moved to the top of the screen) which made my brain go wonky.

As said I tried it again today (on Windows - so to get sound, successfully ofc) and got a bit more used to it (still doing errors). But as described above I always try to think a bit like the "casual player" - of course it does not work in most cases, but at least I try ;-) - so if I (as a more experienced player) stutter at things, others might too.

@ Qube
If you feel somehow attacked by my notes/opinion then please excuse. As I write again and again: it is meant to _improve_ stuff, not to demotivate you. I also do not have any problem to repeat myself: the game looks polished (except for ingame-Exit :p - maybe you want to make us addicted) and you see that a big bunch of time and effort was put into.

bye
Ron