Code a game competition - Jan 30th - Apr 10th 2018 - £500 worth of prizes \o/

Started by Qube, January 30, 2018, 00:10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Welcome to our 4th Code a Game Competition. Quite an open theme this time around so get your imaginations flowing and create some fun games.

Competition Theme :

TV and Movies.

Pick any film or TV show you want and base a game around it. For example you could base a game around Ghostbusters but call it Ghostdusters instead and have game elements *loosely* based on the film, eg, catching ghosts. Another example could be a TV show like Dallas ( pick your own name ) where you play an oil tycoon and have to fight off other tycoons while keeping all your oil rigs going ( beat-em up ).

Plenty of room for inspiration and to have fun. Good luck to all those that enter.

Limits :

No limitations on how your game is presented.

Of course you can't copy / remake existing games based on movies / tv shows because of copyright or use characters names, images, video, music, sound etc etc from the movie / tv show. Be creative :)

Competition length :

10 weeks ( as chosen by our last competition winner, Steve G )
From Jan 30th to April 10th 2018

Rules :

1.. No copyright media or modified pre-built game templates allowed.
2.. Game frameworks are allowed as are free / purchased media.
3.. Individuals and teams are allowed to enter.
4.. Provide a download with at least a Windows executable ( or link if a web browser game only ). Include other OS's too if you want.
5.. Choice of language is totally up to you. You do not have to provide the source code.
6.. One entry per person / team.
7.. Syntaxbomb has zero rights to any work posted here. You / your team hold total control.
8.. Prize to the winners payable via PayPal only.
9.. All entries must be in by 23:59:59 on the 10th of April 2018 ( GMT ). No extensions to the deadline will be granted.

Prizes :

£500 split over the top three winners ( £250, £150 and £100 )

Members who want to help with the prize fund can send donations via PayPal to my email address ( <myusername>@syntaxbomb.com ) but are under no obligation to do so.

Prize fund donations :

Steve G - £25
ahuang - £25

How to submit your game :

Game submissions must be made in this thread. You may link to your external webpage or showcase post about your game. If you have no means of hosting your game then please PM Qube and arrangements will be made.

When submitting your game please adhere to the following format ( if relevant ) :

Game Title ( and the tile of the tv show / movie which inspired your game )
Download link and OS requirements
Required dependancies
Brief info about your game
Media information ( If using free / purchased media then please state where you obtained said media. )

How are the winners picked :

Voting will take place from the 11th of April 2018 and a dedicated thread will be made and relevant voting information provided.

Side note : If I enter any competition on SyntaxBomb I will not be part of the winners prize fund. If my entry does get votes then they will just be proxy votes and classed as an honourable / joint place mention. This way I have the option to play along while having zero effect on any entries or winners placements.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Yue

Any impediments to my participation in the project I am currently doing?

Conjured Entertainment

Film / TV 8)  Cool

Ten Weeks?

It will only take me 2 or 3 weeks to pick a movie.   ;D

round157

Wow...the 4th Code a Game Competition starts so soon. Maybe "Code a Game Competition" series will become an important competition series in the programming world in the future.
:)
Moreover, there is a donation(£25) from Steve G. His game Van Tourisimo is a really nice game and he is also very generous!!

The competition theme of the 4th competition is "TV and Movies". In fact, it is a very, very good theme. The person who decided to use this theme is a genius! There are so many successful movies from Hollywood. For example, Transformers series, Jurassic Park series, Mission: Impossible series, Die Hard series, Star Wars series, Harry Potter series, X-Men series, etc. There are also many excellent animation movies. For example, Finding Dory, Toy Story 1,2,3, Despicable Me, Frozen, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, etc. 

I really look forward to the games from all the participants! I believe that their entries will be quite amazing!
:D

STEVIE G

Good choice.  Believe it or not my theme suggestion was going to be 80's TV and Film :D

Derron

So the game must be referencing a movie/tv-production?

I would like to do something in connection with the creation/production process.

Else I need to look for a documentation...following people doing what I would simulate. Just to follow the rules.
An example would be a game like "The movies" (nope...not planned to do that).

Hmm just had another idea...if someone is looking for one:
TrueManShow
- top down view of a city map
- TrueMan walks around stopping here and there (TheSims style needs)
- everywhere are cameras positioned
- cameras can be active (TrueMan is able to see them after a specific time of "in view") or inactive (invisible to TrueMan)
- players get scores for active cameras filming TrueMan
- the more simultaneously active cameras exist, the more score you get (pay-per-view spectators pay more...or so)
- levels create harder and harder positions for cameras  ... Or more people to simultaneously surveil

Bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteIt will only take me 2 or 3 weeks to pick a movie.   ;D
I have a movie, it'll just take me the same time to figure out how I'm going to do it. AAA game in my head vs reality :P

QuoteGood choice.  Believe it or not my theme suggestion was going to be 80's TV and Film :D
You just go and do one will ya :P - You won the last comp so at least pretend you are stuck for ideas :D - The 80's is my decade and I'm standing here in a major butch huffy pose ( with mullet... and shades )  8) - * cautiously asks * is there a particular movie / tv series you are planning on?

QuoteSo the game must be referencing a movie/tv-production?
Based around a movie / tv series, yes. Use it for inspiration with elements of said movie / tv series. This allows enough ground to create a unique game in the style of, without stamping over any copyright issues. So no blatant use of material as referenced in the rules.

And before any of you bright lot come up with "Debbie does Texas", forget it :P

Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Matty

Derron.  I'm sure a reality tv series exists somewhere that is all about the drama of making and producing film...you could base it on that....no one said the series has to be well known or even Us based in origin.

Derron

Maybe therevills comes up with an Airwolf-ATeam-Rambo based game - aka a HD remake of "Get To Da Choppa" :-)

@ Matty
You might come up with something hand drawn. Am pretty sure you could puzzle something together in that 10 weeks.

Am pretty interested if some games have the same common "movie" as base - and how much and in what aspects they differ.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteMaybe therevills comes up with an Airwolf-ATeam-Rambo based game - aka a HD remake of "Get To Da Choppa" :-)
NO!!! absolutely not :P - I already hum the Airwolf theme while pressing really hard on the fire button.

Until the next time.

Derron

Maybe ask GaborD for some impressive realism-like graphics.
Who does the voice overs for Borgnine?

And who does already create a loading screen having the famus animated red bars and the "wohhh wooohhh" sound of a KITT?

Another idea for the idealess ones: "Coriander - the Barbarian", a Battle-Axe-Sidescroller-Beat'Em-Up with a Conan-esque character (he has a mustache then! - Italian barbarians ;-)).

Hope someone comes up with an "Innerspace" interpretation: killing some illnesses/diseases in the body of some human beings. Could be fun to loose "game over - you destroyed the liver".

I see: I prefer creating other games than I suggest to others - Maybe I know that I would not be capable of doing/creating them.

bye
Ron

Holzchopf

I have an idea. And a question: Are films based on true events allowed? If not: Are films based on video games allowed?

Xerra

Quote from: Qube on January 30, 2018, 09:00:59
QuoteMaybe therevills comes up with an Airwolf-ATeam-Rambo based game - aka a HD remake of "Get To Da Choppa" :-)
NO!!! absolutely not :P - I already hum the Airwolf theme while pressing really hard on the fire button.

OMG, no. You guys are killing me. When Steve said 80's themed I already had Airwolf in mind. Fits perfectly with an old game I used to play and have been itching to remake for years. As there was a helicopter game in the last competition I'm now starting to wonder if it would actually not go down that well ...

<ponders>
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

STEVIE G

Quote from: Xerra on January 30, 2018, 22:23:47
Quote from: Qube on January 30, 2018, 09:00:59

OMG, no. You guys are killing me. When Steve said 80's themed I already had Airwolf in mind. Fits perfectly with an old game I used to play and have been itching to remake for years. As there was a helicopter game in the last competition I'm now starting to wonder if it would actually not go down that well ...

<ponders>

Nothing stopping you making an Airwolf inspired game too.  You could always base it on Blue Thunder  ;)

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on January 30, 2018, 07:26:59
QuoteIt will only take me 2 or 3 weeks to pick a movie.   ;D
I have a movie, it'll just take me the same time to figure out how I'm going to do it. AAA game in my head vs reality :P

QuoteGood choice.  Believe it or not my theme suggestion was going to be 80's TV and Film :D
You just go and do one will ya :P - You won the last comp so at least pretend you are stuck for ideas :D - The 80's is my decade and I'm standing here in a major butch huffy pose ( with mullet... and shades )  8) - * cautiously asks * is there a particular movie / tv series you are planning on?

QuoteSo the game must be referencing a movie/tv-production?
Based around a movie / tv series, yes. Use it for inspiration with elements of said movie / tv series. This allows enough ground to create a unique game in the style of, without stamping over any copyright issues. So no blatant use of material as referenced in the rules.

And before any of you bright lot come up with "Debbie does Texas", forget it :P

I've got a few in mind - nothing concrete but definately not Airwolf or Ghostbusters related  :D  I'd like to try a genre I've never attempted before though - maybe turn based scifi.