Code a game competition - Jan 30th - Apr 10th 2018 - £500 worth of prizes \o/

Started by Qube, January 30, 2018, 00:10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on February 20, 2018, 00:03:26
So just Adam and Qube on this one?  Or are we gonna see some late entries again?
Cool, 1st or 2nd suits me ;D - Mind you if there is only us two then Adam gets the full £500 so it's not all bad :P - I'm sure there are others who are busy working away. Tip tap, tip tap.

Today was a good productive day. I managed to get five new tiles drawn ( don't ask ) but the main good part is I now have shadows and lighting in. Yup, my good old tile map maker which I knocked up for the last game comp actually scales quite well for new features, yay me \o/
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Don't be so sure, there were some late entries that came along and left everybody thinking wtf?  I've never heard of this guy...and yet he won the comp.

lol as we've realised after the retro comp, pixel art ain't that easy -but satisfaction from improving.  Shadows and lighting?  Cool.  Gotta be dark for that game.

Yes, a map maker is essential - good job.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Yue on February 20, 2018, 01:22:16
Am I eligible to participate in my project?
Of course you are :) - But keep in mind the rules. Also keep in mind that some may not be happy if you enter something you've been working on way before the comp was announced. Also keep in mind that if you are in the top three then I can only send winners funds via PayPal.

Having said all that guff, of course you are eligible to enter.

QuoteShadows and lighting?  Cool.  Gotta be dark for that game.
Yup, aiming to add a little atmosphere to the 2D tile map. Trying not to get bogged down with fluffy stuff due to time constraints so keep slapping myself to be smarter this time around ;D. There is also a more intense darker section which is just pure action in the dark with a little light and a motion detector :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Holzchopf

I'm participating too!

But I write my game in Cerberus X, which from time to time needs a little attention too. And I have started a project just right before this contest, so my entry has not the highest priority for now. But there are still some weeks left and towards the end I might reorder my priorities just so I can finish my game in time ;)

iWasAdam

Working on the gameplay now. you have a 4x4 grid where you can place 'base' at the edge. they build buildings, that then catch fire. Bloody hard getting it to work though  :-X

RemiD

Pick any film or TV show you want and base a game around it. For example you could base a game around Ghostbusters but call it Ghostdusters instead and have game elements *loosely* based on the film, eg, catching ghosts. Another example could be a TV show like Dallas ( pick your own name ) where you play an oil tycoon and have to fight off other tycoons while keeping all your oil rigs going ( beat-em up ).
the theme of this "competition" is too vague imo, there are movies about every subject.

There is a tv show / documentaries based around searching finding precious metals / gems in the ground, this gives me an idea for a game  ;) (just joking)

iWasAdam

Awww. Come on. Be inspired. Take an existing film/concept and twist it into something more interesting  :P

I know you are working on a 3d cavern type game. How about the film "Descent". Set in caverns with monsters...

Push yourself a little and make your current system work with rock textures, lighting and something nasty?

Derron

Mars Attacks -> Space Invaders
Deep Throat -> adult text adventure of your choice
Dallas/Black Oil -> Oil Imperium (does that even know someone except me ?)
Kevin alone at home -> Like "Dungeon Keeper" but household traps + home invasion
A beautiful mind -> some logic game
Saving Private Ryan -> cannon fodder clone in WW2 setting
Braveheart -> cannon fodder clone with swords in the highlands of Scotland
Tootsie -> children game in which you choose what clothes to wear
Hot Shot -> mini arcade games around a dude looking like a 99ct "Rumboo"
Sherlock Holmes (whatever) -> Hidden Objects Game
Columbo -> never ending text adventure ("I have a question" as single answer to all conversations)
Miami Vice -> try to transfer drugs with your speed boat escaping the police/detectives
Emergency Room meets Scrubs -> a fun hospital simulation like "Theme Hospital"
It -> horror clown monster in a labyrinth under a city... could again be a "dungeon keeper"-style game (do not let the kids escape)
Our Little Farm -> farming game (plant flowers, weeds, corns, ...)

There is plenty of stuff possible, if you like to choose "freely".

I still hope to create something for the compo, but bugs for the current dev version of my game are swarming in and I really like to create a "normal" release before doing something different.

PS: @Yue
If you would win I would redirect the money via Western Union once I received Qube's money on paypal. So do not be afraid. BUT... do not use your racing game as project. Do something which could be finished in time. Maybe even skip the 3D part if it creates too much problems or time consuming areas.

bye
Ron

TomToad

I'm working on a game.  Basing it on "Bringing Out the Dead."  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0163988/ Calling it "Bring 'em In Alive." You are an ambulance driver who must rush sick and injured people to the hospital before they die.  The more that die, the more you slip into insanity. The game ends when you go completely insane.

Don't know if I will get it done in time.  Seems every time I have free time, something comes along and fills it.  Also trying to do it in AGK which I'm still learning.  Last time I touched this project, I had just figured out how to load a JSON file into the game. 
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Yue

I'm inspired by the movie el marcian, the one that sowed potatoes with shit. I started working on the project on December 26th 2017, soon I will be two months old.

iWasAdam

Here's the Martian Rover from that film (for your thoughts):

Have a good look at the how the background looks as well ;)

Derron

If you desire a look of "The Martian" you should google images for "jordan rocks desert" ;-)

Nonetheless december is one month earlier than the compo start. Means you would have started the project before the compo started - which would disqualify that project.

So if you really want to take part, start a new project - and use your current knowledge. And i would suggest to not try to create a full featured 3D environment. Better concentrate on a small game (with concise game play elements and less "flexibility"). Better to get a simple game finished in time than doing the same thing over and over without "sighting land".

bye
Ron

Xerra

Quote from: Steve Elliott on February 20, 2018, 00:03:26
So just Adam and Qube on this one?  Or are we gonna see some late entries again?

I already said I was having a go previously. Everyone forgets little, old me :-(

Screenshots hopefully displayed if I added them right.

Title screen is a mock up placeholder thing as it's ugh. Especially the logo. I just wanted the backbone of that part in for now.

The sprites (apart from helicopter itself) are my crap coder art so I'm looking to replace them as soon as I can get someone to do it.

No sound in the game yet, apart from a remake of the Airwolf theme that I've got permission to use.

Couple of enemies you can't see in these screenshots - one still to be added that will be trying to break a hole in the Dam on the left side of screen.

Plays pretty well but it's not going to be the game of the decade :-)

On course to get it done in time - so far.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

therevills

I've been busy with my next proper game, but have a week off in March so hopefully can have fun creating something for this compo :)