Code a game competition - Jan 30th - Apr 10th 2018 - £500 worth of prizes \o/

Started by Qube, January 30, 2018, 00:10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

lol Derron, you always seem to over-complicate things WASD - Up, Left, Down and Right - simples.  And your fingers fit naturally to that configuration - and have done since Doom.  Because it's logical  :)

But you overlook the problem of people 'running out of time'.  Therefore unable to cater for casual players.

I already said Derron will always find the tiniest faults (in his eyes) and go into great detail.  I think this is well intentioned rather than wanting to 'pick apart' a project.  It's something that I've got used too and take it in the spirit of helping suggestions.  I guess I've got used to your 'wonky brain'  ;)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteMaybe add (if desired to enhance later on) some kind of "come together" button. A bell or so. Hitting that icon makes all the units come together towards the cross hair.
I had planned to a feature like that and alternate controls, like joypad but ran out of time. Same with the in-game exit.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Holzchopf

The discussion about the controls made me curios. I tried it. I personally prefer the relative WASD-controls where W means "forward" and not "north". But I know the struggle (of dealing with players who dislike it) and even once had to implement the option to chose controls type so the other half of the players were satisfied... ::)

But something felt odd when controlling the whole squad. Couldn't point out what exactly but sometimes it felt like they weren't really doing what I wanted them to do :D

More detailed feedback might follow in the voting thread ;)

Steve Elliott

You guys are weird lol.  In my brain as previously mentioned W is forward of the S key - A and D are physically left and right.  Unless you're not using a Qwerty keyboard then that would explain it.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Thanks Qube, downloaded.  Will play tomorrow.

As far as I'm concerned it was submitted before deadline so in terms of voting it's a valid entry whether you want it to be or not.   :D

Steve Elliott

As far as I'm concerned it was submitted before deadline so in terms of voting it's a valid entry whether you want it to be or not.   :D

My thoughts exactly  :)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Holzchopf

Quote from: Holzchopf on April 11, 2018, 20:44:04But something felt odd when controlling the whole squad.

I figured it out! They all stop moving as soon as one has reached the crosshairs. That's why things get pretty complicated once your squad "opens" - as long as they all stick together, it's almost easy ;D but if one once get's stuck, it's almost impossible to bring them back close together unless you control them individually. Not a great pleasure when facing a dozen of huggers :'(

Btw: I don't know how AGK handles this, but in B3D / BMax a CPU load of 100% was a sign of activated vsync and not using a timer

Derron

@ Steve Elliot
As Holzchopf described (in better words than mine). WASD is used as "forward/backwards,left,right" instead of  "north/south/east/west" (which the mouse movement - and so the crosshair movement) does.
I am more used to movement being individual to/separate from aiming. So you aim with the mouse (crosshair) but move independently.
The "USP" here was that you move all team members at the same time.

@ Holzchopf
Maybe Qube cheated a bit on path/wayfinding. Locate your units on a side of the wall - the mobs will try to attack you from the other side of the wall instead of moving around the wall (little cheat hint: you can shoot them from this position ;-)).

Edit: you posted meanwhile, yes this might indeed be the case. Maybe "later on" there could be an option to continue moving until "all" reach the crosshair (or the minimum distance to it).
CPU Load in main menu was lower than in the game itself, so dunno if it's a vsync thing then. During the game one core was utilized from 50-70% here (emulated using wine). My "game" uses 25-28% CPU when the ingame screen is shown (and 8% in menu) - with native full-hd-resolution. Would be interesting to find out what causes it: the byte code interpretation (tier1?) or maybe the sound playing, ...

As always I suggest that "bugfixes" (avoiding successful game starts, sudden crashes...) are allowed to increase the circle of potential voters. As you know the interest rapidly falls after a release, so keeping up the momentum sounds like a good idea.

Fun question: What would have happened if there were only 3 entries and one of these entries would not have gotten a single vote (eg. I submit a "black screen" ). Would it auto-become place 3 in the compo ? ;-)

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

I personally prefer the relative WASD-controls where W means "forward" and not "north".

??  W *is* forward in the game.  And in my eyes forward and north are the same thing.  I do not understand the logic here.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Quote from: Steve Elliott on April 11, 2018, 21:31:40
??  W *is* forward in the game.  And in my eyes forward and north are the same thing.  I do not understand the logic here.

Except you think of "N" stands for "Nose direction"  ;D

bye
Ron

Holzchopf

What I mean: I prefer WASD controls the way Qube has it implemented! Because I'm used to press W to move a figure forward - or in other words: the direction it's facing - and not north (a synonym for "up on your screen", "where the ceiling is", "where y=0 in computer graphics unless you're Inkscape-Designer"). That's relative movement. You move in the figure's space. Relative to it's orientation. Absolute would mean "in world coordinates".

But in the end it's a question of taste I guess. Some prefer one, some the other.

Ron - in your sketch the figure moves in Z direction :-\
(It's a joke, don't worry)

Steve Elliott

lmao crazy logic.  But I guess I've learnt something - that some people aren't always logical.  So always always let them redefine the control keys! :)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

y = 0
Hah ... OpenGL anyone? Think their "top left" is different to our "top left" :-)

@ z-index
Indeed...

Und nein, ich mache keine Querstriche in meine Zs.

Edit:
---
@Steve
It is not the control key (/key mapping) it is the way it is interpreted: "w = upward" like "move mouse up = crosshair moves up" or "w moves all chars towards the crosshair".
---

As said I think "my" problem with it was the mouse movement + team movement coordination. See how we flood the thread with life - and offtopic stuff.

Think it is time for Qube to setup the "vote thread" with all the entries (so they do not get buried under the load of derailing posts *hehe), so we can continue doing our stuff in this thread here :-)

bye
Ron

Xerra

I've played Qube's and Adam's entries now. Just having to endure another load of flippin' Windoze updates before I can actually get on my crappy laptop and play the other three games. I really should switch it on more often as it's so slow to load up and run - wouldn't believe it's only 3 months old. That's the problem when you don't spend the money and get a powerful machine, sigh.

I'll comment on the games once I've actually played all five. I agree that it's probably time to get the voting thread started now. How long does voting usually last for?

M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

QuoteHow long does voting usually last for?
About a week I usually set it for. I will get the thread up soon :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.