Ideas for the next game comp ( Feb to ??? 2018 )

Started by Qube, January 24, 2018, 01:19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

I feel we should extend the 'winners' to the top 5 though, the shear quality of the entries did make it very hard to judge.
I agree.

To motivate coders to participate, i would distribute the total prize money more widely (maybe between all participants but in a way that the last positions get almost nothing.)
for example :
1st total/2
2nd remaining/2
3rd remaining/2
4th remaining/2
5th remaining/2
etc...

Also to not make Qube become broke too quick ;D, and also to make sure that only "committed" participants participate, i would ask for a small entry fee...

3DzForMe

I'm going to be contributing to the next prize fund, my 10p (I seem to remember someone from the BB forums called big10p ;) ) Anyways - rest assured, my contribution will exceed 10p  8) After I contribute my spondooleys to the next comp, if anyone can guess where mthe sandcastle in my avatars was built I'll double my contribution...
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Xerra

I've turned up just after the last competition ended which is annoying as I would have loved to have a crack and I have the perfect retro game in mind. Still, hopefully get in on the next one if I have a good idea.

I'm rubbish at any kind of graphics work beyond basic coder shapes so working with a set of graphics and building a game around them actually appeals to me. Just because that's one area I wouldn't be hampered by.

Would we be allowed to use Game Maker Studio 2 to do a game entry? It's still coding, even if a lot of the background stuff is taken care of for you.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

round157

Quote from: Xerra on January 27, 2018, 22:21:07

Would we be allowed to use Game Maker Studio 2 to do a game entry? It's still coding, even if a lot of the background stuff is taken care of for you.

Hello,

oh...not too good. Two reasons:

1. Then Construct users, Stencyl users, Gamesalad users, Fusion users, etc. may come and say that their drag and drop systems are also some kinds of programming. They may ask for allowing them to join the competitions.

2. There have been a lot of competitions allowing participants to use the above game making softwares. However, it is not easy to find a competition which all participants can only make games with pure programming languages. Therefore, Syntaxbomb's game programming competition becomes a very special competition in this world nowadays.

Derron

Rules :
1.. Must be all your own ( or teams ) work. I.E. no copyright media or available modified pre-built game templates.
2.. Game frameworks are allowed as are free / purchased media.
3.. Provide a Zip download with at least a Windows exe ( or link if an browser based game ). You can include other OS's too if you want.
4.. Syntaxbomb has zero rights to any work posted here. You / your team hold total control.
5.. Choice of language is totally up to you.
[...]

round157

Quote from: Derron
5.. Choice of language is totally up to you.

Hi,

But this is a "Code a game competition" or "Programming a game competition". Using GameMaker(Or other drag-and-drop game creation softwares) is making a game but not programming a game.

Moreover, many things can be done by these engine but don't need to be coded by the participants. Therefore, participants who uses these game creation softwares to make entries can save a lot of time. Will be very unfair to participants who need to program different things in their programming languages. 
:(

Derron

It is also allowed to use (free) frameworks. So I have coded some stuff during the years, easing GUI-stuff (ingame menus), sprite atlases ... and I am allowed to use this stuff.

Ok, now compare languages. BlitzMax offers simple graphic stuff, simple audio stuff, file system access... AGK also offers simple shader access. Should that simple shader access now be forbidden because of BlitzMax not being capable of? Should I write all the stuff over and over - for each competition?

This is why you are free to choose. If Unity brings what you need, use it. If GameMakerWhatever does then use that instead.

bye
Ron

MikeHart

Quote from: round157 on January 28, 2018, 16:19:49
But this is a "Code a game competition" or "Programming a game competition". Using GameMaker(Or other drag-and-drop game creation softwares) is making a game but not programming a game.
LOL, another individual who is uneducated regarding GameMaker. Does the term GML ring a bell?

And if you go down that route, then by your definition, no programming language with a game related API should be allowed. No framework should be allowed.
After all, you should code everything yourself  :D

round157

Quote from: MikeHart

LOL, another individual who is uneducated regarding GameMaker. Does the term GML ring a bell?

Hi,
The professional version of GameMaker Studio 1.4.xx was installed on my computer.

MikeHart, Derron,

Generally speaking, ordinary people say:

Making a game with GameMaker(or similar game creation softwares), but not program a game in GameMaker or program a game with GameMaker.

It is because users do many things to make their games by clicking, dragging and dropping in various menus in these creation softwares, but not writing code. The name of this competition is "Code a game competition" and therefore.....

I want to ask both of you 3 questions:

1. RPG Maker also has a scripting language. Should RPG Maker also be allowed in this competition?

2. Should game creation softwares without scripting language also be allowed? Should GameSalad and Contruct2 be allowed?

3. Should the name "Code a game" competiton be changed to "Make a game" competition?

Thank you very much.

round157

Quote from: Derron on January 28, 2018, 16:38:07
It is also allowed to use (free) frameworks. So I have coded some stuff during the years, easing GUI-stuff (ingame menus), sprite atlases ... and I am allowed to use this stuff.

Ok, now compare languages. BlitzMax offers simple graphic stuff, simple audio stuff, file system access... AGK also offers simple shader access. Should that simple shader access now be forbidden because of BlitzMax not being capable of? Should I write all the stuff over and over - for each competition?

Different. Users are still writing code to do the above things in BlitzMax and AGK.

However, GameMaker, Construct, Fusion, etc., a lot of things are done by dragging, dropping, clicking, selecting,etc. in various menus inside these softwares

Derron

1) scripting ... maybe
2) do not know these toolboxes/language/whatever-kits
3) think the competition title is individual to each competition

What about blue printing? So you would disallow Unity, UnrealEngine, Lumberyard, ... because they allow dragndrop?

What happens if I coded my secred DragNDrop-Helper to create some XML defining GUI-Layouts?
Wouldn't people be allowed to use external Tools like Map-Tile-Editors, Painting programmes, ...?

To take it further. There is eg. Bruceys wxMax module for BlitzMax. And there is also a tool which creates BlitzMax code out of a given Layout-file. So it auto creates code for me. And Yes, I could create tools writing some more things for me. When things come together (ask AdamStrange - and his tools) then stuff could automagical get created without much hassle. You define simple input and it creates the needed code automatically for you (either in your language or dynamically during runtime).

The compos were installed to ... to... *badabammm* have fun.
Writing all the stuff again (remember, no STD allowed in C++, no automatic garbage collecting ...) takes the fun out of it.

You can only hope that people recognize a "clicked together" application - but hey, if the rules state "use the language/toolchain of choice + allowed or your own media" (licenced, paid, FOSS,...) then ok. People will surely judge accordingly - at least if you stood honest and credit all the stuff correctly.

bye
Ron

Xerra

Sorry, but it's not fair to say Game Maker 2 is just a drag and drop system for making games. It contains the inbuilt code GML and the majority of games are written with a huge amount of code in this. The syntax itself is a C variant not much different to how Blitz works itself. I don't think users need to be disqualified as it's not a toy language even using it with the drag and drop code system that's optional.

Example code for a game I'm writing below. Around 80% of the game is code like this within scripts and functions. I'm just not dealing with the heavy graphics stuff because the system takes care of that for me. That's modern coding and most people use frameworks nowdays to save time not having to repeat themselves with this stuff.

// Check all butterfly tiles on map.

for (var yy = Height-1; yy>0;yy--)
{
for (var xx = 0; xx < Width; xx++)
{
// Store what tile is in the currently checked square.
var tile = tilemap_get(Tiles,xx,yy);

// Check and store what's in the four surrounding tiles of current square.
var tl = tilemap_get(Tiles,xx-1,yy);
var tr = tilemap_get(Tiles,xx+1,yy);
var tu = tilemap_get(Tiles,xx,yy-1);
var td = tilemap_get(Tiles,xx,yy+1);

// check if any of the four butterfly tiles are present in the current tile.
if (tile == TILE_BUTTERFLY_LEFT) || (tile == TILE_BUTTERFLY_DOWN) || (tile == TILE_BUTTERFLY_RIGHT) || (tile == TILE_BUTTERFLY_UP)
{
// check if any of the tiles around the butterfly are amoeba.
// destroy butterfly without damaging amoeba and change to diamonds.

// We check if Rockford is in any square next to the butterfly tile and kill him if so.
if (tl == TILE_PLAYER) || (tl == TILE_PLAYER_LEFT) || (tl == TILE_PLAYER_RIGHT) || (tl == TILE_PLAYER_BORED)
{
if (global.cheatMode == false)
{
global.currentGameState = gameState.playerDying;
}
}
if (td == TILE_PLAYER) || (td == TILE_PLAYER_LEFT) || (td == TILE_PLAYER_RIGHT)|| (td == TILE_PLAYER_BORED)
{
{
}
}
if (tr == TILE_PLAYER) || (tr == TILE_PLAYER_LEFT) || (tr == TILE_PLAYER_RIGHT)|| (tr == TILE_PLAYER_BORED)
{
{
}
}
if (tu == TILE_PLAYER) || (tu == TILE_PLAYER_LEFT) || (tu == TILE_PLAYER_RIGHT) || (tu == TILE_PLAYER_BORED)
{
{
}
}

// Exit the script if Rockford is going to blow because the butterfly is going to die too so pointless to process any further this frame.
if (global.currentGameState = gameState.playerDying)
{
scrSoundEffect(sndRockfordDies);
exit;
}

switch(tile)
{
case TILE_BUTTERFLY_DOWN:
// check if we can move left.
if (tl == TILE_EMPTY)
{
// move butterfly left
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_EMPTY,xx,yy);
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_LEFT,xx-1,yy);
} else
{
// check if we can move down.
if (td == TILE_EMPTY)
{
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_DOWN,xx,yy+1);
} else
{
// We couldn't move left or down so set direction to moving right but don't move enemy.
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_RIGHT,xx,yy);
}
}
break;

case TILE_BUTTERFLY_RIGHT:
// check if we can move down.
if (td == TILE_EMPTY)
{
// move butterfly down.
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_DOWN,xx,yy+1);
} else
{
// check if we can move Right.
if (tr == TILE_EMPTY)
{
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_RIGHT,xx+1,yy);
leave = true;
} else
{
// We couldn't move down or right so set direction to moving left but don't move enemy.
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_UP,xx,yy);
}
}

case TILE_BUTTERFLY_UP:
// check if we can move right.
if (tr == TILE_EMPTY)
{
// move butterfly right.
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_RIGHT,xx+1,yy);
} else
{
// check if we can move up.
if (tu == TILE_EMPTY)
{
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_UP,xx,yy-1);
} else
{
// We couldn't move right or up so set direction to moving left but don't move enemy.
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_LEFT,xx,yy);
}
}
break;

case TILE_BUTTERFLY_LEFT:
// check if we can move up.
if (tu == TILE_EMPTY)
{
// move butterfly up
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_UP,xx,yy-1);
} else
{
// check if we can move left.
if (tl == TILE_EMPTY)
{
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_LEFT,xx-1,yy);
} else
{
// We couldn't move up or left so set direction to moving down but don't move enemy.
tilemap_set(Tiles,TILE_BUTTERFLY_DOWN,xx,yy);
}
break;
}
}
}
}
}
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

GaborD

Yeah it's a slippery slope for sure. Where do we draw the line. Maybe it should be "Make a game".

In my opinion people put way way way too much emphasis on the programming. Making great games is not about the coding. 
As long as the code doesn't crash and burn (in which case it's ofcourse a showstopper and needs to be fixed), it doesn't really matter.
It's just there to serve the overall design and gameplay.

A player will not care in the slightest bit if you programmed all the low level systems yourself or not.
The code will be inperceptible to him, he will be immersed in the gameplay, enjoying the story, traveling in a world you take him to, feeling the mood, enjoying the challenges. That's what matters. 

If you think about it, using engine/framework that speeds up the coding part is a good thing. It frees up more time to focus on the important stuff. Like actually producing a well designed fun game with great artwork that supports the intended look&feel.

That said, in the end, there is no substitute for putting the effort in. I am not excusing people not doing it.
Making a great game is hard, no matter what tools are used.
All I am saying is the tools are not the important part. The result is.

If it is clicked together with zero effort, that will show and it will be a crappy game anyway. No need to worry about someone coasting along doing just that.

round157

Hi, Derron, Xerra, GaborD
:) 
I have read your posts.

I interpret "Code a game competition" as traditional programming. This may be the original aim of Qube. That's all. 

Actually, I am only a reader in this forum but have written too many posts today. Yes, goodbye!
:D 

MikeHart

Quote from: round157 on January 28, 2018, 17:22:57
Quote from: MikeHart

Hi,
The professional version of GameMaker Studio 1.4.xx was installed on my computer.

MikeHart, Derron,

Generally speaking, ordinary people say:

Making a game with GameMaker(or similar game creation softwares), but not program a game in GameMaker or program a game with GameMaker.

It is because users do many things to make their games by clicking, dragging and dropping in various menus in these creation softwares, but not writing code. The name of this competition is "Code a game competition" and therefore.....

I want to ask both of you 3 questions:

1. RPG Maker also has a scripting language. Should RPG Maker also be allowed in this competition?

2. Should game creation softwares without scripting language also be allowed? Should GameSalad and Contruct2 be allowed?

3. Should the name "Code a game" competiton be changed to "Make a game" competition?

Thank you very much.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Name it what ever you like.

Why? The end result is judged, not how you got there. It is about game design, execution, art, sound, game play. The code/method behind it is irrelevant.