Ideas for the next game comp ( Feb to ??? 2018 )

Started by Qube, January 24, 2018, 01:19:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Yue

Something I can participate in, and if I win the prize or donate to the first homeless person you see in your city.

Derron

Yeah we start, then after 5 weeks someone joins and timeframe gets extended.
WHY - why is there a need to start the next one right after the previous finished?

Without discussion the results/experience of something you wont improve stuff/competition. Also you might feel free to just ignore "further discussion" and just wait until Stevie G waves the flag to start the race without further details (funding, exact timeframe - start/end) being discussed.

@ 5 weeks
sorry, 4.34 weeks a month. Might still be 5 weekends - for weekend coders this means 5 weeks. *stomping on the ground*
3 months means 13 weeks - so 10 weeks is more near to my 2 months than your 3 months  :-*

@ Yue
Of course you are allowed to participate - as long as you do not use copyrighted media without rights to do so (thinking of "tesla"). Nonetheless I would suggest you to create a smaller game - so chances to "finish" are bigger (talking about your previous tries to create something). Start small - but finish it. Growth could come later.
As you would have issues with Paypal (Qube prefers it) I would offer to redirect a potential money prize to you via Western Union.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteYeah we start, then after 5 weeks someone joins and timeframe gets extended.
No that is definitely not happening. There were reasons it happened last month and those reasons have been explained many times. To repeat, there will be no time extension.

QuoteWHY - why is there a need to start the next one right after the previous finished?
I've had quite a few members saying how much they enjoyed the competition and can't wait to get started on the next. Also others who didn't even enter this one may be keen to get going.

QuoteWithout discussion the results/experience of something you wont improve stuff/competition. Also you might feel free to just ignore "further discussion" and just wait until Stevie G waves the flag to start the race without further details (funding, exact timeframe - start/end) being discussed.
We've already had 7 pages of discussions.. 7 pages with little progress and unless someone just goes "here's the competition, theme, rules and time frame" then we'll just keep going around in circles debating constantly and never getting anywhere.

Then when you think you are getting somewhere, someone else will have an idea / opinion and the whole thing will start again. Madness I tell ya, madness :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

1)  Qube chooses the theme from the communities suggestions - simply for fairness, because he can't win any cash.

Agreed.  I had some ideas for themes but that may give me an unfair advantage in that I've already thought about the type of game I'd like to make.  I would prefer not to take responsibility for no-one entering  :P

I've had quite a few members saying how much they enjoyed the competition and can't wait to get started on the next. Also others who didn't even enter this one may be keen to get going.

Yes, me included.  I felt I had something good (even if it didn't win) and was enjoying the challenge.  But illness sadly stopped my progress in it's tracks.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Yes, 10 weeks is great. I'll get maybe a weeks worth of computer time at it but I've no expectations to actually win it. I just like the idea of having a target to aim for so I keep focus. I'll no doubt do something very simple.

Let's please not over-analyse the competition rules. Just throw them in place, pick a theme and then we can all get on with it. Plenty of time to think of an idea while at work before I get cracking.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

CJB

Quoteothers who didn't even enter this one may be keen to get going.
Me! 

New to SyntaxBomb.  Hi  :D

Looking forward to joining in the fun!

3DzForMe

I'm all for upping it to 3 months, would mean 4 competitions a year instead of 5, and with an extra fortnight I might even get sounds into my next, for want of a better word, effort.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Matty

I'm waiting for a theme that enthuses me with inspiration...the entries so far have looked quite good in some cases from the screenshots...and i haven't entered one (almost entered the asteroids one)....I'm tempted to enter if the theme ends up being something that piques my interest.

CJB

I missed out on GGJ this year and was very sad, but then I saw a post in the AGK main forum mentioning the last comp (thanks Conjured!) and it made me happy!  I never get anything finished in a weekend... too much of a perfectionist!  :P

The "loosely based on a movie" theme idea gets my vote. When do we start?

Qube

QuoteWhen do we start?
Welcome onboard, CJB :) - Comp will be posted soon.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Qube

@Derron

I'm not against shorter and more focused comps, I'm just not sure how to implement them with the larger more general ones.

If your idea is to have something like two week comps then that's something we could certainly try in between the main comps but unfortunately I couldn't offer any cash prizes ( unless members wanted to donate to them ). I have ideas for shorter comps ( full of ideas me ) and I'm sure you do too, so I'm not against trying the idea. Feel free to post your ideas out here and we'll see if such things can be worked in.

Until the next time.

Derron

I think shorter compos would increase the "prototype character" - maybe not perfectly fleshed out ideas but "tries" if things work or not. So "no cash prize" would suit well.
Also it would be easier to skip a compo - it just takes a month or less until the next starts.

Prize might be a vote for the next "big compo" theme/regularies.

@ ideas
As we want to "improve" I would like to see some "music generation", "asset creation" (2D, 3D) stuff. So eg. a "low poly room"-compo, a "low poly jump n run assets"-compo, a "retro jumpnrun music theme", ...  or of course simple games ("puzzler").

bye
Ron