Which languages were used in the retro game comp Nov-Jan 2018

Started by round157, January 22, 2018, 02:26:02

Previous topic - Next topic

round157

Hi,

I am making the following language list. Some programming learners may want to know since they are considering which languages to learn. Other forum members may also want to know because of curiosity. However, I am still not sure the languages of several games. If you are the authors of these games, please let me know the languages. Thanks...thanks a lot!!!
:)

Programming Languages used in the retro style game theme based competition!
:D

1st place: Van Tourisimo
               (Blitz3D)

2nd place: Get to Da Choppa
               (Monkey2)

3rd place: SyntaxBomb
               (Monkey2)

4th place: The Last Ginger Ninja
               (AppGameKit 2, Tier 1)

5th place: FUNGICIDE
               (BlitzMax)

6th place: Alien Drop Pods
               (BBC BASIC for Windows)

6th place: HIDDEN ITEMS SEARCHER FINDER
               (Blitz3D)

7th place: Alien King
               (AppGameKit 2, Tier 1)

7th place: BATSAWAY
               (Blitz3D)

7th place: Mind Swap
               (BlitzMax)

The ranking is according to the results of this competition:
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4024.msg12168.html#msg12168

RemiD

Hidden items searcher finder -> Blitz3d

And i find surprising how it works well on a recent computer with Windows 10, keep in mind that this language/engine has 16-17 years !

STEVIE G

Quote from: RemiD on January 22, 2018, 06:18:25
Hidden items searcher finder -> Blitz3d

And i find surprising how it works well on a recent computer with Windows 10, keep in mind that this language/engine has 16-17 years !

Agreed.  As long as you drop the Win10 version of the direct play dll in with the exe it works well.  The only real issue is compiling to PC only.  I bought AGK last year so I'm planning on getting something done in that next - probably a port of something else I've done to start of with.

RemiD

@Stevie G >>on my side i used the update 1.108 by kfprimm, which removes the need to activate/install directplay on Windows 8 / Windows 10.
See : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3888.0.html (reply #4)

So both solutions seems to work well... Good ! Long live Blitz3d / Blitzbasic !

I'm planning on getting something done in that next - probably a port of something else I've done to start of with.
In my game (and in my others games), i do some "low level stuff", like reading/writing pixels on images, reading/writing texels on textures, creating meshes (surfaces, vertices, triangles), creating joints, creating poses, creating animations. All in code (sometimes using/combining premade things)
You would think that it is easy to do that with others languages/engines, try it, and you will realise that it is not (or not as easy)...
So Blitz3d is great for this...

TomToad

Mind Swap:
Language - BlitzMax
Graphics and font - Pyxel Edit
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

col

BATSAWAY looks like Blitz3D to me. Could be wrong though  :P
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

STEVIE G

Quote from: RemiD on January 22, 2018, 07:38:04
@Stevie G >>on my side i used the update 1.108 by kfprimm, which removes the need to activate/install directplay on Windows 8 / Windows 10.
See : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3888.0.html (reply #4)

So both solutions seems to work well... Good ! Long live Blitz3d / Blitzbasic !

I'm planning on getting something done in that next - probably a port of something else I've done to start of with.
In my game (and in my others games), i do some "low level stuff", like reading/writing pixels on images, reading/writing texels on textures, creating meshes (surfaces, vertices, triangles), creating joints, creating poses, creating animations. All in code (sometimes using/combining premade things)
You would think that it is easy to do that with others languages/engines, try it, and you will realise that it is not (or not as easy)...
So Blitz3d is great for this...

Yeah, this is my biggest concern as a lot of the media I create is procedural and I also do a lot of pixel manipulation and create meshes on the fly.  Not being able to do that in AGK would be a showstopper for me.

round157

Qube,
Thanks for creating this thread!

RemiD, TomToad, col, 
Thanks for the information!

iWasAdam

SyntaxBomb programmed in Monkey2 on MacOS - This is not the standard Monkey2 as I have added and altered some core code.

fontsprites were created in a custom editor (FontSprite) - 4 were created in all, the core sprites being 8x8 pixels, and the map and ui 16x16 pixels

map levels, UI, and other custom stuff for levels was created in a custom level editor that eats both palettes and fontsprites (fontmap)
Here each level was created over 2 files each with up to 32 levels.

Sound is a completely custom chip-synth. With an additional custom sequencer written.
Sound runs at max of 8 voices
with music also having up to 8 voices

Conjured Entertainment

Quote from: round157 on January 22, 2018, 02:26:02
Hi,

I am making the following language list. Some programming learners may want to know since they are considering which languages to learn. Other forum members may also want to know because of curiosity. However, I am still not sure the languages of several games. If you are the authors of these games, please let me know the languages. Thanks...thanks a lot!!!
:)

Programming Languages used in the retro style game theme based competition!
:D

Title : SyntaxBomb
         (Monkey2)

Title : Van Tourisimo
         (Blitz3D)

Title : Alien King
         ()

Title : Mind Swap
         (BlitzMax)

Title : FUNGICIDE
         (BlitzMax)

Title : Alien Drop Pods
         (BBC BASIC for Windows)

Title : Get to Da Choppa
         (Monkey2)

Title : BATSAWAY
         (Blitz3D)(need to be confirmed by 3DzForMe)

Title : HIDDEN ITEMS SEARCHER FINDER
         (Blitz3D)

Title : The Last Ginger Ninja
         (AppGameKit 2)

You are leaving mine blank ???

Not sure about mine ???

Steve Elliott

However, I am still not sure the languages of several games. If you are the authors of these games, please let me know the languages.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

col

https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Conjured Entertainment

Quote from: col on January 22, 2018, 14:03:33
Alien King was made in AGK  8)
Right

AppGameKit 2 ~~~ Tier 1  (BASIC hence the bytecode in media folder) (AGK2 Tier 2 is C++)

Nothing in my game but BASIC code, thanks to AGK.

BASIC is the language really, and that is retro. ( I even used a GOTO statement a couple of times! )  :P

QuoteSome programming learners may want to know since they are considering which languages to learn.
BASIC = Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code

So, BASIC is arguably the best place for beginning programmers to start.

I think that AppGameKit is great for beginning programmers.

They can learn BASIC using Tier 1 to get a grasp of programming principles, then move on to Tier 2 when ready to add to their programming knowledge and expand their game making skills.

Scaremonger

Quote from: Conjured Entertainment on January 22, 2018, 14:06:58
I even used a GOTO statement a couple of times!

Yikes! That is far too retro...

I drew all the graphics, including the two fonts, for Fungicide in GIMP (with zoom at 800%). Sound is a collection of .wav files I created using sxfr and incbin'd into the code along with the graphics.

It uses a Sprite system and GameState FSM that I wrote specially for the game. I used the standard BlitzMax Collision system and didn't use any external libraries.

RemiD

I even used a GOTO statement a couple of times
i used goto a few times too, but only for the same case :

.LineChooseThingPosition
;choose x, y, z
;check if others entities of others lists are far enough (considering their xzradius)
;if no
;goto LineChooseThingPosition
;if yes
;create final Thing

and to prevent an infinite loop, you can add a maximum number of tries that the procedure is followed