Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

A really unusual and interesting idea. I didn't look at the video, but found 3 statues (not sure how), and three items using the directions and spyglass.
@freeman69>>Thanks for the test, i am glad that at least one person appreciate this game, it was not easy to make all the gameplay mechanics work in a coherent way.

( i have found 1 bug when digging too deep in the gound (fixable), and some graphics artifacts caused by the ROAM algorithm, using 2 terrains (one for the snow layer, one for the dirt layer) (fixable) )

I have tested your game and it works well on my computer/OS (Windows 7 64bits), and i think that the graphics are nice and it is a good start, but i would add a way to control the aim with the mouse, it would have been easier to play, (even with physics)

ahuang

Quote from: 3DzForMe on January 20, 2018, 15:21:16
Well, my submission is as finished as she's going to be - I fought the good fight, couldn't compile on my main rig anymore due to letting my son 'borrow' my 3D card from my main (slightly creaky old, rig). Installed an old GForce 9800 GT - W7 failed to recognise it. Searched the house for a CD driver, found it - extracted the drivers, nope Blitz3D still didn't find what it wanted.

So, I'd to resort to my 560 pence W7 laptop (bought from an auction - but hey, it boots about 10 mins quicker than my main rig) with cracked screen to revert the code so the bats hadn't invaded instantly.

Wanted to incorporate sounds.... ran outa time.

Heres the link to the massive sub 1MByte file - thats almost retro in Size, well maybe a bit more than the 48Kbyte Speccy I used to have.

EDIT - got to the bottom of the issue, needed to install directlplay before it would work on Windows 10, thats the beauty of blitz3D. Theres an executable called BATSAWAY.exe, baggsy the wooden spoon?

@RemiD, good luck with your entry mate.
:P
Heres the intro screen:

hi 3DzForMe,

your game may be a pretty basic space invader game, but i found it strangely cathartic to blast the bats and change the trajectory of the shots in mid flight. ok, no sounds, no music, no levels, no animation, blocky bats in white cubes, but hey, i got through the game easily enough and was rewarded with a nice message! maybe a wooden spoon in this competition, but at least you managed to complete the game and submit it! and if you do decide to develop it further, it could be an interesting project. cheers.

RemiD

@3DzForMe>>i have also tested your game, but i did not understand how to play, so i gave up. Next time, maybe include at least a text file with instructions on how to play and the controls.

3DzForMe

@ahuang:

Quoteyour game may be a pretty basic space invader game, but i found it strangely cathartic to blast the bats and change the trajectory of the shots in mid flight. ok, no sounds, no music, no levels, no animation, blocky bats in white cubes, but hey, i got through the game easily enough and was rewarded with a nice message! maybe a wooden spoon in this competition, but at least you managed to complete the game and submit it! and if you do decide to develop it further, it could be an interesting project. cheers.

Thank you for the feedback - even producing the game to its current standard was no cakewalk - trying to improve the difficulty so it was a little more exponential broke it until the 12th hour ;)

QuoteIf you want to do a full on 3D game in a 320x200 res with 16 colours, then good luck.

Well, it is 3D - although next time I'd like to have modelled the bats in Blender a little, exported to B3D format and wrapped the 'bat' image using Ultimate Unwrap 3D for a more 'polished' approach. I know all thats plausible - its a bit hard to do that though when you're attempting to train for a Sprint Tri with your 18 year old son ;)

@RemiD - I think I put the controls on the 'intro screen.... just checking now....

Yep, opened up paint to hi-light the controls for you pal ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

RemiD

Oups i may have clicked too fast :D , i will test again.

3DzForMe

Its alright RemiD, you were probably distracted from the text on the intro screen by Captain Cavern traversing the hills in the distance.

I do like how my intro screen is a bit reminiscent of the Hobbit graphics on the ZX Spectrum, if anyone recalls that game - its a while since I played that.

[EDIT] This was my inspiration for my loading (intro screen these days...) - Jeez, it says those hills look dreary, they're positively mountainous compared to the Lincolnshire Wolds.

Anyway, had fun doing my BATSAWAY game, which did start out as Captain Cavern with four differing gaming modes intended - but other life stuff precluded my invoking everything that was in my swede.

Still over two hours of voting left folks :)

RemiD

No it's because i pressed S to start and did not notice the others instructions.

However, you have not been very applied to the task... After a quick play, i see several things that you can improve : the bats are piled on top of each other (maybe add a distance check before positionning each), the texture of the bat is not "masked" (use black pixels, then use flag4 when loading the texture), the bullet moves with the "barrel" (once it has been shooted, separate if from its parent influence -> entityparent(bullet,0) )...

I have taken a screenshot of your scene, the rule was no more than 16colors, and your scene has more than 3000 ! (to avoid this you need to disable bilinear filtering, see : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3892.0.html )
Well at least you have made a record in this competition ;)

3DzForMe

If only I'd stayed within the colours I might'e clinched third place, c'est la vie. I just went and counted the colours myself lf and am sure I couldn't see more than 20 odd different colours. And, as for the  bat's