The Last Ginger Ninja - Competition Nov-Jan 2018

Started by Qube, January 21, 2018, 06:38:53

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

I have just tested your game.

When i run it, i get an error message : Failed to create XAudio2, make sure you have "directx end-user runtime" installed
But the game works well without sounds (Windows 7 64bits)

Graphics : nice, consistant style
Sounds : i don't know
Controls : easy enough to understand how to play
Gameplay : i like it, it remind me of alex kid on the master system, however there are a few bugs : like possibility to move left and right while on  ladder or moving left and right while in the air (but this is part of the gameplay in some games)

Qube

QuoteFailed to create XAudio2, make sure you have "directx end-user runtime" installed
Oo! - Could be that you need the DirectX9 End User Runtime : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109

QuoteGameplay : i like it, it remind me of alex kid on the master system
Good to hear you liked it.

Quotefew bugs : like possibility to move left and right while on  ladder or moving left and right while in the air (but this is part of the gameplay in some games)
Those are not bugs but intentional :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Conjured Entertainment

Did you update the ZIP file, or are you going to wait until after the contest is over?

Qube

Quote from: Conjured Entertainment on January 23, 2018, 03:13:36
Did you update the ZIP file, or are you going to wait until after the contest is over?
Sorry, not had time yet but definitely will be doing today and post here with new links for bug fixed version.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

RemiD

@Qube>> i think that there is a bug when the character is on a ladder because he can walk left right on the ladder, whereas he should only be able to move left right (while still grabbing the ladder) or let go the ladder and fall...

Maybe take a look at the game "Alex kidd" this will give you some idea for environment / things / characters / vehicles / gameplay mechanics.

Qube

Quote@Qube>> i think that there is a bug when the character is on a ladder because he can walk left right on the ladder, whereas he should only be able to move left right (while still grabbing the ladder) or let go the ladder and fall...
Ah, yes, the animation should be of him still grabbing the ladder while going left and right.

Until the next time.

Qube

Here's a bug fixes version with also a native Linux compile :

Version 1.01 - 2018-01-24 - bug fixes only :

Bug fixes :

1.. Text no longer flickers
2.. Out of bounds array error should now be fixed
3.. High score table now saves correctly across different OS's
4.. Improvements to delta timing for different monitor frequencies ( I think / hope )
5.. You can now complete world 1 level 3 ( I put the crate on the wrong tile level )

Windows - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Windows-v1.01.zip
Mac - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Mac-v1.01.zip
Linux - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Linux-v1.01.zip

The Windows version may need the DirectX9 End User Runtime : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109
The Linux version was only been tested in Ubuntu and requires the OpenAL library to be installed. Terminal > sudo apt-get install libopenal1

Until the next time.

Derron

Linux-Version works.

When "jumping" while in a tunnel, the "jump sound" gets started over and over resulting in a "brrbrbrbrbrbrbrbr"-sound.

Jumping is a bit odd - died because of the "diagonal" movement (instead of starting a bit more up and then right/left). Think that would improve "jump on enemy"-abilities. Also it looks like the jumping speed increased during jumping (starting slow and getting faster). Is that the case?
So it is impossible to stand next to a spike and start jumping over it.

Talking about eg. this:

The only way to solve it is to jump right over it from the floating tile on the left - trying from the position on the screenshot (or a bit on the left) results in a painful death.
Edit: Ok, tried it some more often: if you jump, wait a bit and then hit "right", you are able to jump over it. This plays a bit odd.

As mentioned before the hitbox is a bit odd - i nearly jump into stars (from below) to collect them, but I already die if the hand of the player is hitting the spike with barely a pixel. This makes the area in lvl1-3 (space spike space spike space spike) really tricky as you only have 1-2 px until you die. If you play the game to "test it out" this can become rather annoying. And nope, not talking about "difficulty" there.

Once you get used to the "obstacles" or "inconveniences" it is a playable platformer.

Will have a further try when checking the other entries - have to reach highscore #1.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteThe only way to solve it is to jump right over it from the floating tile on the left - trying from the position on the screenshot (or a bit on the left) results in a painful death.
Edit: Ok, tried it some more often: if you jump, wait a bit and then hit "right", you are able to jump over it. This plays a bit odd.
Why is it odd?. Like a lot of platform games you can manoeuvre in the air.

As you found out, just jump up then go right. He's a frickin ninja, he has ninja skills ;D

Until the next time.

Derron

I already found that out (think you missed my "edit").

Maybe I played the wrong games - control your jump while already in air - but ok, you gave a believable reason: ninja skills.

Idea for next versions: maybe the enemy ninjas will start a "rampage" (some dust particles + moving faster from then on) when they see you. Might make it look more interesting. A punch might knock them back a bit.

Dunno if that is integrated (not finished the levels) but you might consider adding "hidden spikes" (hidden hidden - sudden come-up - sudden go-down - hidden hidden) or spikes completely moving down - so you have eg. "waves of spikes" over whose tiles you need to walk in a certain scheme/rhythm.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteIdea for next versions: maybe the enemy ninjas will start a "rampage" (some dust particles + moving faster from then on) when they see you. Might make it look more interesting. A punch might knock them back a bit.

Dunno if that is integrated (not finished the levels) but you might consider adding "hidden spikes" (hidden hidden - sudden come-up - sudden go-down - hidden hidden) or spikes completely moving down - so you have eg. "waves of spikes" over whose tiles you need to walk in a certain scheme/rhythm.

Yup, all that was meant to be in the game but as I ran out of time I had to just rush rush to get something together.

It's far from finished and I'll probably redo it all again but outside the constraints of the comp rules.

Until the next time.

Derron

- [startscreen] music does not repeat once it finished
- [game] seems there is no ingame music
- had to stop playing at level 1-3 (the spike-row killed me multiple times).

So if there is more to come (theme wise) then excuse the rating I have to give "for now" (currently filling my excel sheet).

bye
Ron

ahuang

very nice game with cool graphics. getting through level 1 is a bit of a challenge, good jumping skills required!