Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

The Last Ginger Ninja

Version 1.01 - 2018-01-24 - bug fixes only :

Bug fixes :

1.. Text no longer flickers
2.. Out of bounds array error should now be fixed
3.. High score table now saves correctly across different OS's
4.. Improvements to delta timing for different monitor frequencies ( I think / hope )
5.. You can now complete world 1 level 3 ( I put the crate on the wrong tile level )

Windows - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Windows-v1.01.zip
Mac - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Mac-v1.01.zip
Linux - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Linux-v1.01.zip

The Windows version may need the DirectX9 End User Runtime : https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8109
The Linux version was only been tested in Ubuntu and requires the OpenAL library to be installed. Terminal > sudo apt-get install libopenal1

Windows - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Win.zip
MacOS - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/files/TLGN-Mac.zip

Submitted just in time ( less than 4 minutes to spare ) : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3658.msg11604.html#msg11604

How to play
Cursor keys for left / right / jump / climb. Space bar for punching. Esc to pause the game.
Collect stars for points. Collect the key to open the chest to unlock the next level.

Waffle
This was meant to be a much bigger game. Unfortunately before Christmas work from clients came pilling in thus zapped away the time I could spend on it. Usually the Christmas / New Year period is a slow steady flow but sods law kicked in.

I struggled a lot in the beginning with the graphics as my retro pixel art sucks big time. I looked at a lot of other retro pixel art and based my tiles on those who are far better at this than I am. Having said that none of the graphics are copy / paste but every pixel hand drawn.

I didn't have time to complete all the music I wanted to do. There is no in-game music or end of game / high score music. I know I could of grabbed some free stuff online but I enjoy doing all these bits myself, for better or for worse. Of course I also didn't have time to build heaps of levels, animated enemies, add mini games, do proper title / high score screens etc etc etc. The high scores do at least work and save though.

I am toying with the idea of redoing this game in full HD and making it a much bigger game. Not sure yet, I need to let the ideas bop around my head.

Who did what? :
All coding, graphics and music were done by me. The sound effects are from the AGK sound library. Written in AGK2 ( Tier 1 )

Screen shots :

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Qube

Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Derron

Quick test using wine: error on start as it failed to install xaudio2 directx runtime thingy.

But game started at least - albeit silent.

Rotating cube sounds sometimes as if it ignored resolution ... will have to check further (aka making a screen recording of it :p).

Score (and other texts) flash a bit "borked up". Maybe timing issues?

will check "in depth" later when I have time - going to visit friends now (drinking Ouzo, cooking something...)

bye
Ron

Qube

Thanks but I'm not going to spend any time getting it to work via Wine. I will upload a native Linux version though.

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Yes it does work, but there are a few entries to test  ;D

Looks good, nice loading screen too.  Will be testing more in the coming days.

It does have some artifacts on the spinning cube and flickery text though (instructions and in-game).

Interestingly, World, Level and Stars values flicker - but the score value doesn't flicker.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

TomToad

Works for me.  Didn't notice any flickering myself.  I did notice that after I exited the game, then restarted it, my entry on the high score list disappeared.  Nicely done game, even for such short time working on it. 
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Conjured Entertainment

Quote from: Qube on January 21, 2018, 14:44:23
Anyone tried this?. Does it even work? :P

Worked, but very laggy and then it crashed giving me an error saying that an array went out of bounds. (Windows)

Qube

I know what the flickering text will be but I can't issue a fix until after the voting. I knew I shouldn't of left the colour limiting pixel shader in, even though the graphics are 16 colours only. It's only there for that stupid spinning cube ( something I was playing around with in early days ).

High score not saving. Damn it, I didn't have time to test that with only 4 mins before the deadline.

QuoteWorked, but very laggy and then it crashed giving me an error saying that an array went out of bounds. (Windows)
Blimey, what's the specs on your PC? - I get 60FPS even in a VM.

Until the next time.

Conjured Entertainment

Quote from: Qube on January 21, 2018, 17:30:07
I know what the flickering text will be but I can't issue a fix until after the voting. I knew I shouldn't of left the colour limiting pixel shader in, even though the graphics are 16 colours only. It's only there for that stupid spinning cube ( something I was playing around with in early days ).

High score not saving. Damn it, I didn't have time to test that with only 4 mins before the deadline.

QuoteWorked, but very laggy and then it crashed giving me an error saying that an array went out of bounds. (Windows)
Blimey, what's the specs on your PC? - I get 60FPS even in a VM.
It isn't because of my specs, this laptop runs a lot of AGK stuff.

Line 1413 is calling an array with a value out of bounds

Qube

Its using SetVsync( 1 ) - unless the delta timing code has a bug which shows up on your PC.

Oo er! - What resolution is your screen?

I see where the error is :

Function GetTileInfo( fTileLayer, xPos As Float, yPos As Float )
tileXHere = 1 + Trunc( ( ( xPos - 1 ) - tileXOffsetLayer1 ) / 20 ) + tileXLayer1
tileYHere = 1 + Trunc( ( yPos + dudeYJumpDistance ) / 20 )
tileNameHere = levelData[ fTileLayer, tileXHere, tileYHere, 1 ] // <-----HERE
EndFunction

Easy to fix so will issue an update once voting is completed. Can't upload new version as the comp is closed :(

Until the next time.

Derron

You can upload new versions..but people "should" use the Compo-version of course.

Quote from: QubeThanks but I'm not going to spend any time getting it to work via Wine. I will upload a native Linux version though.
Do not worry, I would not vote based on a non-native-OS execution (except gameplay wise).

I would say it is ok to upload new versions just containing fixes to simple errors. Not adding new functionality but eg. Increasing compatibility/ avoiding segfaults.

Its not that you add Highscore at all...you just enable it. Its not that you add delta timing, you just remove a debug statement..and so on.

Means: upload it if it contains small fixes. If someone is then crying "Burn the witch" then he has taken the competition way too seriously.

Fixes could get an effect on the b-note on voting ;-)

Bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteMeans: upload it if it contains small fixes. If someone is then crying "Burn the witch" then he has taken the competition way too seriously.
I think that's quite sensible. Bug fixes but no feature additions seems fair. I will update the voting rules.

QuoteDo not worry, I would not vote based on a non-native-OS execution (except gameplay wise).
I am installing a linux VM at the moment in order to provide a naive linux build :)

Until the next time.

therevills

I really like TLGN! I didnt have any issues running it on Windows 10.

I found jumping over the baddies easier than fighting them and I found the spikes a challenge too!

Qube

Glad you liked what I managed to mould and slap into shape in the end :) - It is easier to jump over them but you don't get points for that :P - smash their face in when they are about 5 pixels away ( proper retro skills ).

Until the next time.

GaborD

Love it. Great style, especially considering the crazy constraints.