Get to Da Choppa - Retro Game Competition Entry

Started by therevills, January 20, 2018, 12:25:20

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

Quote from: Qube on January 23, 2018, 03:28:02
Don't use the crt shader as it breaks the comp rules. Pretend it's not an option until afterwards :P.. glad it's off by default though, good choice ;D - I left the crt shader out of mine completely because it creates extra colours and resolution that breaks de rulez.

Hopefully keeping it in is okay, it definitely adds to the retro look  :)

It is a great game and I'm playing it along with two others before deciding my top three.
Thanks Qube, when I finish my next big game I'm going to go back to this and add more features/level etc.

Great choice of palette :P same as mine I see. The DB16 :)
Yeah the DB16 is nice, I really enjoyed using the limited palette but I think if I did another retro game it would be 32 colours! :D

Qube

QuoteHopefully keeping it in is okay, it definitely adds to the retro look  :)
It's off by default so not to effect the colours / resolution of your game so it's all good :) - Besides you fixed the resolution and movement stuff early on when someone *cough* brought it up :P

Quotewhen I finish my next big game I'm going to go back to this and add more features/level etc.
Cool, don't forget the napalm weapon for sheer pixel mayhem ;D

QuoteYeah the DB16 is nice, I really enjoyed using the limited palette but I think if I did another retro game it would be 32 colours! :D
I agree with you on that one. I think I would keep the DB16 and have the other 16 colours as shades of the more vibrant ones.

I did really enjoy the retro comp but unfortunately had an avalanche of other work dumped on me just before Christmas which meant almost a month of very little time on my game. In the end I had 2 days to just make it work as a game. Ah well, that's how it goes sometimes.

But once again, great game, nicely done :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

TomToad

Quote from: therevills on January 25, 2018, 02:07:29
Quote from: Qube on January 23, 2018, 03:28:02
Don't use the crt shader as it breaks the comp rules. Pretend it's not an option until afterwards :P.. glad it's off by default though, good choice ;D - I left the crt shader out of mine completely because it creates extra colours and resolution that breaks de rulez.

Hopefully keeping it in is okay, it definitely adds to the retro look  :)
I don't think it looks retro at all.  Forst of all, I have owned computers since the Commodore 64, and I never had a monitor with that much curvature.  Secondly, CRT monitors have circuitry  that will compensate for the curvature of the tube so squares still look somewhat square.  Notice how in this image

The graphics border does not follow the edge of the tube so it still looks square.  You can still see a small amount of curvature, especially when viewing at an angle, but it is nowhere near as distorted as this "retro" look gives.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Qube

For monitors I agree but on 14" cheap potable TV's the bend could be quite dramatic.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: Qube on January 25, 2018, 02:44:29
I agree with you on that one. I think I would keep the DB16 and have the other 16 colours as shades of the more vibrant ones.
Have you seen DB32, lots of nice colours and range in that palette. http://opp.opengameart.org/index.php/DB32

I did really enjoy the retro comp but unfortunately had an avalanche of other work dumped on me just before Christmas which meant almost a month of very little time on my game. In the end I had 2 days to just make it work as a game. Ah well, that's how it goes sometimes.
Well for 2 days to finish it you made a cool little game! :)

But once again, great game, nicely done :)

Ta :)

Qube

QuoteHave you seen DB32, lots of nice colours and range in that palette. http://opp.opengameart.org/index.php/DB32
Oo, I didn't know he'd did a 32 colour version, very nice indeed. Complete geek fest but that is a real nice palette, thanks for that.

QuoteWell for 2 days to finish it you made a cool little game! :)
lol, thanks. I had resigned myself to the fact that I wasn't going to finish it due to the crap fest of work that came in. Then on Thursday evening before the comp deadline it worked out that I had two days completely free so I went from :

A game with one level, broken enemies, no sound, no title screen, no high score, no transition between levels etc etc. I had written a couple of sound tracks but planned to do more. So I decided to just go nuts and spend the two days going like mad to turn what I had into a game. In the end it was about 30 hours over two days of complete hammering away. Sure my game is missing a hell of a lot of planned stuff but after all the early work I put into it I just wanted to give it my best to at least present something.

In the end I managed to submit within 4 minutes of the deadline. My head was buzzing and afterwards I slept like a log :P

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: TomToad on January 25, 2018, 09:34:35
I don't think it looks retro at all.  Forst of all, I have owned computers since the Commodore 64, and I never had a monitor with that much curvature.

The CRT code does allow for a lot of options including altering the curvature.

My first computer was the Amstrad CPC 464, where we did have a green screen monitor but we connected it up to a small TV and I do recall the curvature was pretty large.

round157

Hello, I have played your game. Quite good!
:)