Mind Swap - Retro Game Entry

Started by TomToad, January 19, 2018, 21:14:19

Previous topic - Next topic

TomToad

Well, I didn't think I would get anything submitted for this one due to too much going on the last few months.  But I got an idea a few days ago and knew I could code up something quickly.  So here is my entry for the Retro Game Contest.
https://tomtoad.itch.io/mind-swap

Screenshot:
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

STEVIE G

Excellent - although you should have called it Mind F*ck  ;D

I thought it would be a breeze - it's not.  Every time I try it I have to use up my reserve people! 

Conjured Entertainment

Nice game for a quickie.

This was my first attempt...

It took me 16 people, but I was just getting the hang of it.

I'm sure I will do a lot better with a few more attempts.

Nice game, good challenge, well done.

Conjured Entertainment

Quote from: STEVIE G on January 19, 2018, 22:56:27
Excellent - although you should have called it Mind F*ck  ;D

I thought it would be a breeze - it's not.  Every time I try it I have to use up my reserve people!

It can be done!  :P (without using the 'Add Person' button)

iWasAdam

mmmm, i'm definateley in 2 minds about this

TomToad

Quote from: Conjured Entertainment on January 20, 2018, 04:21:27
It can be done!  :P (without using the 'Add Person' button)

It depends on how badly everyone is mixed up.  Every time you start a game, everything is randomized.  Everyone is assigned a random name, clothing color is chosen from one of 16 colors, and the minds are swapped randomly.

If you want a real challenge, I have left in a test option in the game.  Run it from the command line and pass it a number which is the initial number of minds to swap.  C:\Mind Swap>"Mind Swap" 14.  Since I was using this for testing, there are no bounds check.  below 1 or above 16 will most likely produce a MAV.  Can you figure out the maximum number of people you can start with and still guarantee the puzzle is solvable?

NRJ

Downloaded your game, will play it tomorrow.
IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

TomToad

Uploaded a new version.  No real changes to the game mechanics itself, but I added a "secret" option.  If you hold down the SHIFT key while clicking NEW, then a new game will be created with the same number of people as on the screen.  So if you want to start a game with 10 people, click "Add Person" twice, then SHIFT-NEW.  No need to use the command line anymore.

therevills

Cool idea! Nice little puzzle game which I have only just beaten!

RemiD

I have just tested your game.

It works well on my computer/os (Windows 7 64 bits)

Graphics : simple, consistant style
Sounds : i don't know
Controls : easy enough to understand how to play
Gameplay : i don't understand it, and it make me lose my mind, so not for me. ??? But intriguing concept.