HideMouse causing flickering cursor on OSX High Sierra and BMax1.51

Started by GreyAlien, January 19, 2018, 16:58:56

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyAlien

Hi all. I just got a new High Sierra Macbook and download BlitzMax 1.51 and am able to compile my most recent game (Shadowhand) fine.

The only issue I have noticed is that when players are using a custom cursor in windowed mode that the system cursor is still visible over the custom cusor and it is constantly flickering. Note that it's fine in full screen mode.

If I run an older build of the game made with BlitzMax 1.49 and an older OSX (Mavericks) which I compiled in December (and I haven't touched the code since), it works fine.

So my guess is that something has changed in the BlitzMax modules since then

Note that I've checked glgraphics.bmx and nothing has changed. However glgraphocs.macos.m has changed, but only with how it handles full screen, not windowed mode as far as I can tell. I've also followed HideMouse() all the way down to bbSystemSetMouseVisible() system.macos.m and nothing there has changed.

Anyone else encountered this? Got any ideas? Should I be looking at any other modiles? Thx.

Pingus

I confirm the issue with HighSierra (with bmax 1.5) while it works fine on an older OSX (10.6.6).
I have unfortunatly no idea about how to fix this...

GreyAlien

Quote from: Pingus on January 19, 2018, 17:28:25
I confirm the issue with HighSierra (with bmax 1.5) while it works fine on an older OSX (10.6.6).
I have unfortunatly no idea about how to fix this...
Hmm, so just to confirm: Something you compiled with BMax1.5 on highsierra is bugged but the same build has a working mouse cursor when running on an older OS? Or do you mean if you compile it again on older OS it is fine? In which case the issue is the OS not BlitzMax.

My scenario is: If I run something compiled on an older BMax/OS combo it works fine on High Sierra, but it doesn't work on same machine when compiled with new BMax/OS combo. I don't have an older MacOS to test on but my wife does so I'll try that now.

I'm sure it's the same problem but I'm trying to figure out if there's anything I can do to BlitzMax to fix it.

GreyAlien

OK confirmed, a build I make with V1.51 on High Sierra has flickering but the same build on an older OSX works fine!

Seems like High Sierra must be handling the hidden cursor in a different way and BlitzMax is no longer compatible with that way.

GreyAlien

Someone suggested it could be to do with OSX using a thing called Metal to speed up OpenGL rendering since El Capitan. Perhaps it's interferring and trying to draw the mouse even when hidden?

GreyAlien

I just did an OSX software update and now I can't see the problem! Maybe that fixed it but I'm suspicious.

I read that in Oct 2017 they fixed a cursor graphic bug when using Adobe InDesign via a "supplental update", but that was on the original High Sierra 10.13. However I was already running 10.13.2 so surely it should have already been fixed? Unless supplemental updates get applied separately from the main OS install, I dunno. It might not be the same issue anyway.

Anyway try an update Pingus and see if that helps.