SyntaxBomb - Retro Game Entry

Started by iWasAdam, January 19, 2018, 06:51:30

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Yep monkey2 and only tested on win10 machines

iWasAdam

@ Conjured Entertainment Have you had any luck yet?
have you tried a different machine?

I've just downloaded the windows version to the desktop
7-zip -> right click -> extract files (to the desktop)
There are two folders - hmmm. I'll change that
There should now be one folder - inside there you will find syntaxv1.exe

RemiD

I have tested your game.

It works well on my computer/os (windows 7 64bits).

Graphics : nice, consistant style
Sounds : i find the weird variation in sound very annoying, thanks for the option to configure the volume, but the default 100% volume hurt my eardrums at the start.
Controls : easy enough to understand how to play, thanks for the option to configure the action keys
Gameplay : not a kind of game that i like, but this seems functional, and i have noticed how you have added several gameplay elements to reach an area (for example bubbles or ladders, this is a good idea).

chalky

Works fine on my Win7 64-bit system. Very nicely done.

iWasAdam

great to know it all worked.
@RemiD Thanks for the detailed description :)

3DzForMe

Looking forward to trying this when I get home later... ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Derron

- "ESC" in highscore-screen should return you to main screen (similar to other screens)
- if you collide with a self-placed bomb, you loose a life - but an enemy can safely hit the bomb / gets only killed if it explodes
- bombs sometimes "slide" after I positioned them
- you should consider allowing "sliding" from the ladder to the ground even when there are 1-2 pixels of height missing (looks odd if you can move on the ladder but cannot leave it)
- i like these "following ladders" enemies
- sound is a bit too "chippy" when moving up/down ladders

When rotating there are odd "white lines" appearing here and there. Am not sure if some of the smaller lines are smaller than "they should".

Died in level 7 (loosing _all_ lives - haven't lost one before, fetched all letters in the bonus round etc) just because I tried to bomb the enemy behind the cage (incl. ghost) - with last live I saw I should have just moved to the right - coming in on the left screen again - did that and run into the enemy there. OK, reached Game Over :-).

The jumping letters in the highscore screen flickered a bit (visible in the "horizontal"-lines of eg the "1")

When trying to enter my initials I had to hit up/down each time - maybe add an "keep hold and it auto-ups/downs" (KeyHit vs KeyDown). The "Enter sign" was misleading, thought I was allowed to hit enter while I had to choose it and confirm with "space".

In every level I tried to collect as many fruits as possible - even if I killed the last one I already followed his corpse to fetch some collectibles until screen "closes". You hooked me there ;-)

Question: why does the flame thrower sometimes throw fast flames, and sometimes slow one - random? I also was not sure whether some other flames might hurt you (dunno when they were created and when not - think I collected something or bombed someone).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep, the flames are random so there is never quite the same speed used.

There are actually some sound issue differences with MacOs and Windows sound implementation. This is the monkey code itself and Mark has not really sorted it. but I'm looking into it. I might try and write a completely new sound system...

Derron

Not as much ratings as I have assumed... and get-to-da-choppa on #12.
We might have seen more votes here on the forums :p

bye
Ron

iWasAdam