Van Tourisimo - Retro Game competition entry

Started by STEVIE G, January 18, 2018, 18:05:24

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

My entry and my first 2d game in Blitz3D ...... please go easy on it ;D

https://stevieg.itch.io/van-tourisimo

It's a de-make of the old arcade favourite Super Sprint.  I'm far from happy with certain aspects and there were a few features I couldn't get done in time (gates etc..) but it's the best I could do.

Cheers
Stevie G

LineOf7s

Microsprint lives!  Yay!  Very nice.

FYI, I have a much-anticipated 4-player local multiplayer gaming day coming up in a week, and Microsprint and Polymaniacs will be featuring heavily, exposing them both to an audience that knows little beyond what's on Steam.  Even my 3 yr old can compete in Microsprint and have a good time.  :)  I thought you'd like to know.

edit:  I've just tested it out and run my first laps.  The slower pace really makes the steering work well.  Gonna add this to the mix too.

edit2:  A minor thing, and maybe this has something to do with it being a competition entry, but if put into windowed mode it doesn't seem to honour the selected resolution.  Looks like 640x480 always.
"Life's biggest obstacles are your greatest opportunities to excel"

STEVIE G

Quote from: LineOf7s on January 18, 2018, 22:46:16
Microsprint lives!  Yay!  Very nice.

FYI, I have a much-anticipated 4-player local multiplayer gaming day coming up in a week, and Microsprint and Polymaniacs will be featuring heavily, exposing them both to an audience that knows little beyond what's on Steam.  Even my 3 yr old can compete in Microsprint and have a good time.  :)  I thought you'd like to know.

edit:  I've just tested it out and run my first laps.  The slower pace really makes the steering work well.  Gonna add this to the mix too.

edit2:  A minor thing, and maybe this has something to do with it being a competition entry, but if put into windowed mode it doesn't seem to honour the selected resolution.  Looks like 640x480 always.

Brilliant - always a pleasure to hear that people are having fun with my games - it's the only reason I write them.  Please let me know how the gaming day went  ;D
p.s. On Polymaniacs, to unlock all the levels and vehicles just amend the PROFILE at the bottom of the .ini file to all 2's.  The later vehicles are my favourites -  the Duke and Falcon.

Re Van Tourisimo, are you changing the resolution in the .ini file or via the options?  What resolution did you select?  I do restrict the selection to widths of 640 or 1280 max. 
I'm going to make some changes tonight so hopefully easy to fix.

Edit ... I see what you mean, it looks like it opens a smaller window when setting to 1280 x 960 - will look into it.

LineOf7s

It worked fine full-screen, but when I changed the settings in-game to windowed it didn't seem to matter what resolution I picked.  'Twas always tiny.  I did notice, however, that it had changed those settings in the .ini file, so the changes are at least getting that far.

Derron

The game mentioned that you need to restart it to apply changes of the resolution.

bye
Ron

LineOf7s

Thank you.  I did that (prior to reporting that it didn't work, as verified by the coder three posts ago).

STEVIE G

Quote from: LineOf7s on January 19, 2018, 09:31:56
It worked fine full-screen, but when I changed the settings in-game to windowed it didn't seem to matter what resolution I picked.  'Twas always tiny.  I did notice, however, that it had changed those settings in the .ini file, so the changes are at least getting that far.

I know the reason.  I'm using windowed mode 3 (scaled) rather than 2.  I used 3 so that you could hit Windows + Up Arrow to resize to full screen.  Mode 2 doesn't allow you to do this or expand the window.  I can add another option to cover fullscreen / mode 2 and mode 3.

Anyone any idea why mode 3 doesn't initially scale the window to the graphics res specified?  It looks like it scales to the lowest graphics res your card can render?

Not a biggy as you said but cheers for highlighting it.   

Conjured Entertainment

Very nice!

I have only given 1 track a ride so far with the default options, but I will definitely play some more.

The controls are nice, and I was able to lap one car even on my first run!

round157

Hello,

My comments on the game:

It is not easy for me to control the movement of the car.
:)

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Quote from: Steve Elliott on January 19, 2018, 17:54:10
Enjoying the game.  Very nice.

Thanks man - all feedback appreciated. 

I'm working on a few minor changes re difficulty - basically if you select a harder starting track the AI starts at a higher level.  It's definately more of a challenge as I just got pipped on race 10 on my first try!!  Remembering which track comes next is key to the upgrade strategy.

Also looking at adding some small arrows for crossroads to make it obvious which direction you should go.
Might add in some other bits and bobs if I get the chance tomorrow  :D

Steve Elliott

Also looking at adding some small arrows for crossroads to make it obvious which direction you should go.

lol definitely required, and you have time to get that feature added before deadline.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Quote from: Steve Elliott on January 19, 2018, 18:11:07

lol definitely required, and you have time to get that feature added before deadline.

So you thought you'd be a smart arse and cut the bend on Track3 too  ;)  I'm always a step ahead of the fly-bastards who try to break my games lol!!

Steve Elliott

lol You can't take the moral high ground, if your track instructions aren't clear  ;)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Which one is better?  Thoughts welcome..

This is the crossroad you come in it from the left side ...

This one would be permanent on the track and easier to implement:

This one would show up while you are approaching and on the crossroad to indicate where the invisible barriers are ... harder to implement

Or, this one ... same as first but just one arrow for each direction