Microsoft paint

Started by Pfaber11, January 17, 2018, 12:52:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

When using paint to produce sprites using AGK how do I make the edges of the sprite transparent.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

col

I'd suggest to at least use 'paint.net' as its everything Microsoft Paint should be and more.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

RemiD

@Pfaber11>>it can be caused by some existing texels on your texture but not necessarily visible to the eye, depending on your screen (colors/contrast/brightness...), so your image looks "clean", but is not.

This is especially the case when you use a "fill" tool with a tolerance and some texels are not replaced by the wanted color, this can produce these weird outlines...

Rick Nasher

Appears you need to set r,g,b colors to 0,0,0 and Alpha/opacity 255 in paint.net

As you can see on the left the color black is used for this.
On the right you can see the end result.

Or is this not what you were asking?

Probably not from judging from prev answers. lol

Pfaber11

yes this is what I was asking . I have tried those settings and it comes up black instead of transparent . not sure what the problem is. Thanks for your input.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

Steve Elliott

Don't bother with Paint - try a better art package.

I've heard good things about Krita (and it's free).

https://krita.org/en/
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Pfaber11

Have now tried a few drawing programs to do my graphics with and settled on a nice simple one called mtpaint. It's simple and free and is all I need for now. Does the transparency thing fine once you get used to it. Have a nice day.

Naughty Alien

..why dont you download Photoshop CS2..its free and it rocks for everything you will ever need..

Pfaber11

Thanks I will take a look. Always open to new suggestions.

Derron

Quote from: Naughty Alien on March 09, 2018, 12:35:04
..why dont you download Photoshop CS2..its free and it rocks for everything you will ever need..

It's not. It never (legally) was and wont be in the near future.

Gimp is free/FOSS (nice tools, a bit steep learning curve if you are used to photoshop or tools doing selections/layers in a compatible way)
Krita is free/FOSS (nice if you own a drawing tablet)
Paint.net is free
Inkscape is free/FOSS (vector drawing)

If you want a simple program, then try paint.net. For more advanced uses, check out the other stuff

bye
Ron

plenatus

For me i have now a Photoshop subscription.
I tried so much apps but the best workflow is with Photoshop.
Only Asesprite for pixelart or do something pixelbased changes. (faster because so there is no need to configure photoshop for pixeling)

Naughty Alien

..i have downloaded it about year ago from Adobe web site directly..it was 100% free and Adobe did announced it..is that changed now, i dont know..

EDIT:
..You are correct..version i have is payed..my badd..

Derron

download =/= licence

They provided a CS2 download as their activation services for that version were stopped - which is why they also offered a "valid" licence key. Same for Adobe Illustrator CS2 and the likes.
While surely tens of thousand users downloaded it without being "old customers" it never was "free" to use.

I never really got friend with GIMP - selections are just nothing I can get used to, at least for now and as long as I have my CS(1).

So if Pfaber11 comes from a country ignoring ownerships, legality ... he could feel free to download this (or a newer version) on his own likes.

bye
Ron

Pfaber11

I'm actually in the UK not far from where the game creators are based makes me proud to be British.

Goodlookinguy

I'd like to chime in some alternative programs as well (albeit, a little late to the party)...

GraphicsGale (now free) - if you set both the layer and frame background color transparency, it will be transparent upon export
Affinity Photo (like Photoshop, but for $50)

It's what I use for everything. Although after seeing some posts, I'm curious about some of these other programs (well, except GIMP, which I don't like).
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org