TestPace X [ Developing]

Started by Yue, January 17, 2018, 01:17:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Make it an actual game before improving visuals.

Else you will toy around forever without actually finishing the game.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Yue

They're absolutely right, which proves one thing only, I don't know how to make a video game. I mean, I can do certain things but not others. So I would like some volunteer Manager to guide me on a weekly basis in specific project tasks by focusing on the right path for it to be a video game. This is because sometimes I am very exhausted from work, today I arrived at 6 in the morning from a 24-hour shift and slept about two hours, so if someone tells me, for this week do this, do that and when the task is finished I will move on to another. I think it would be easier. However the difference with this now is that it is under control, so while this happens there is a high possibility of making a game.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

RemiD

We have not said that you are not capable of making a video game, but rather we suggest to not focus on unimportant details (like improving / tweaking the graphics) until you have managed to have at least the essential functionalities (main gameplay elements / mechanics) of your game (and this advice is for every developper here !)

But of course you do what you want.

Steve Elliott

Exactly.  You have the beginnings of a game.

But what are the objectives of the game?  This is very important.

Where is the challenge?

What is the genre of game?  Exploration?  A race game?...
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Make a sketch/list of notes what you want to have in that game.
Then we might be able to give you our opinions on whether some features will take way too much time (eg. a "deeplearning AI").

Think of it like "todo list/check list" - and start right on top of what you want, then work down to on what it is based of:

- racing game on mars
- - racing on "tracks" - how to "limit" them, via walls, via laser borders, no track at all but check points?  ...
- - racing against enemies? If so, fighting each other or just "time based" races?

So you fleshed out the idea. Then you need to think of what you need to be able to do the above.
- need a 3D engine [check]
- need a controllable vehicle (no need to have the "car" already, just a simple box with wheels for physics ... can get replaced later on) [check]
- need a system to keep track if I am on track - eg checking if I drive through the checkboxes
- need a system to have multiple tracks - so I can do more than one track
- ability to check if a race is ended for me
- depending on how important the opponents are in the game (eg. only win if all other cars are broken) you already need to implement AI now. It's not that easy, so I would avoid "fight each other" scenarios at first. Use a simple racing approach (Stevie G and others could surely descibe the idea of "follow the ideal racing line")

Once the core game is working, you can add the gui stuff for new games ,settings, quit ... until then a simple "escape key quits the game" is ok. Why? you are still prototyping, no need to have all that nifty "click here to quit", "do you really want to quit..."-confirmation stuff and so on.

Let me summarize again: Sketch out the pure game idea and game play. Get this working. From then on you can improve, extend, ...

bye
Ron

Yue

@Derron Thanks for the help, I'll work on what you mention.   :)

GaborD

I agree to what the others said.
Focus on the basics first. From concept and target audience to matching gameplay, design, art style, everything.
Before you have that you can't really implement the graphics (or any tech), because you don't know how they have to look and function.
The tech (including graphics) has to follow the overarching design, not the other way around.

I think you know well how to make a game, you just really like to play with graphics and focus too early on that. I am like that too, I love tweaking graphics.
But, when I actually want to make a game, I force myself to totally shift gears and do the important things first, then decide what effects/features I need based on that and only add those. No point in putting in a lot of things you will not really need because your game-story/gameplay/design suddenly goes in a different direction. Time is your most important currency.

Yue

@GaborD
I think you hit the point.

Well, for now I'm done dealing with something called rocks. I already wrote something very simple in a notebook, which I put in the first entry in this worklog. That said, I'm going to think about the gameplay.

So I need information about the astronaut's oxygen, something very simple, a simple message on screen that shows that the oxygen is running out and if you don't do something about it dies. Now what should you do? in the impact zone, the vehicle is in good condition, the only thing that has to be done is to mount it and in and get to the nearest dwelling to fix his suit, I think that's it, a small video game, in the zone of the impact for now there won't be any debris, only the player where the game starts, after that according to my agenda will have to look for shit to plant some potatoes, that can do it exploring other habitats in the toilets. I think it's very simple when you write.

Well, we'll see what happens. Greetings.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Naughty Alien

..after reading everything, I agree to disagree :)

Yue

Maybe I have to agree to play a game isn't my thing.   ;D
The thing is, I've only been doing this for a month, I hope to make a game this year.  :-X