[Asset Sale] Female Knight

Started by Chamferbox, January 12, 2018, 15:00:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

Talking classical simple forged medieval swords indeed: mass makes for the brute force impact on iron/woud shielding. Just like a battle ax.

But ninja swords are just light weight, very sharp and pointy, hard and still flexible due to their manufacturing process. They cut and pierce really, really well through almost anything, but I have no idea what would happen when they hit an iron shield object. (haven't tried)  :D

I can imagine it penetrating if piercing shielding not being too thick, but more thick objects it probably wouldn't have any influence but leaving a dent. However there's of course the trade off: how heavy can your amour be?

My dad has one of these Japanese army 'ninja' swords and it's scarily easy to use. I wonder if the blade was this excessive, if I would still say the same. I probably would cut myself rather then an opponent. ;D 

Rooster

Quote from: Rick Nasher on February 23, 2018, 21:55:45
About swords and their weight.

I'd personally pick a samurai sword over any type of sword; It's light, strong and the design is so ingenuous that when you hold it, it automatically forces you in the right position and feels you can do all the fancy moves they do in the movies instantly.  8)
If I remember correctly the trade off is that you can't block without the risk of braking your sword.

I like how we've turned this in to a discussion about sword design. :P

3DzForMe

I purchased a couple of images from 3dfoin a while ago, great quality, glad to see they're still doing the rounds even though the studies have finished. That is a sign of worthwhile studying  :)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

RemiD

These meshes are too high details anyway... The old ones were quite good (around 3000-5000 triangles)
but these have too many triangles to be usable in an indie / small game....

If you are an indie / lone dev, your best bet is to create games that most people can play, even on "low / medium end" computers... Now try to render a few of these meshes in your scene, and this will cause massive slowdowns on "low / medium end" computers...

Derron

Can't you load the high detail mesh in the 3d tool of your choice, add a decimate modifier until it fits the triangle count of your needs and export it back to obj/collada/... whatever you need?

Of course it would always be good to get these models in high poly and lowpoly (with baked details).

bye
Ron

RemiD

@Derron>>of course, you can decrease the number of triangles (reModel it), but then you will have to reUVmap it, reTexture it, reRigg it, reSkin it, reAnimate it. Easy and quick to say, but not to do...

Derron

Decimate modifier on Blender should take care of uv setups (use "planar" and "delimit on UVs"). Am not sure about the rest, but as you wont have the rig, you will not come further there. When done straight in Blender the vertices would have certain weights for "bending" and they could get assigned to bones etc. Decimating then could use this information to try to maintain stuff.

Nonetheless it is never a better option than to just use a provides LowPoly variant. Have to say I only use 3D stuff to render things out, not using them in games or so. Would assume one uses BHV files to animate - even without one could copy animations from A to B, if the bone setup is the same. LowPoly would be just a matter of retopologizing the detailled mesh to a low poly one and then baking textures (diffuse, normals, maybe even cavity maps) from highres to low poly.
As said above, this would not be needed if already provided by the artist/vendor. So you are right there - except artist does not respond, you are willed to use the asset - and got plenty of time ;-)

bye
Ron

RemiD

All the automatic things like auto reduction of polys, auto uvmapping, auto assigning weights, are all crap from the tests i have done. (but i have not tested every tool) Or they may be usable if you go from a very high detail mesh to a medium detail mesh, but you can't create a good low polys using that.