NEW Blitz Forms Archive site - mojolabs.nz

Started by Qube, January 11, 2018, 19:14:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Hi all,

I had an email from Simon ( Skidracer ) to let me know what happened to wasted.nz. Luckily the BB forums archive is alive and well on another domain..

New location : http://www.mojolabs.nz

I don't think he'll mind me copying and pasting his email here :

Hi Dave,

Happy new year!

I mistakenly let wasted.nz registration lapse and decided to take opportunity to change domain name to mojolabs.nz.

Sorry for any inconvenience,

Simon
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

I somehow thought ".nz"-domains are more expensive than .net or .com domains... And today nobody is looking at a TLD ... ok, except for that "co.uk" or ".to" stuff :p

Good to see stuff "readable" again, albeit I would mean it needs a bit more backlinks to get indexed by google ... or we need to submit it for indexing.

Edit: Done, submitted to google - should be faster indexed than by just finding the link here in the forums.
Edit2: Someone should post more often: last 5 replies in the "portal page" show my name...ouch

bye
Ron

RemiD

"auto renewal" does not exist in new zealand ?  ;)

therevills

Thanks for letting us know Qube (and thanks to Skid for setting it up!). I still do refer back to the old forum/code now and again.

Goodlookinguy

It has me worried that this was let slip. I was going to setup a database that contained a merger of the two sites and now I'm considering it again after this screw up. I think I'd rather have it hosted on SyntaxBomb or somewhere that has active attention payed to it.

Qube, give me the word and I will generate a database from my files. It's more complete than anyone else who downloaded the files since I used custom software I wrote specifically for downloading the forums optimally.

Edit: The other thing that worries me is these country specific TLDs. These are not optimal for search results usually.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Qube

I don't mind hosting a BB forum archive here ( my version is just over 1GB in total ). I'm just not sure if it's worth it while we know there is a site which is already up that has the archive. I'm also not sure of the legality of doing such a thing should any member of BRL pursue legal action.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Goodlookinguy

Well, if there are anymore fails like, just know I'm here. I can strip the names out of posts invalidating attachment to them, etc. or anything else.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

degac

Well, surely MOJOLABS is better than WASTED as name for a website!
:)
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Derron

You are allowed to use my forum posts from blitzmax.com. I gave blitzmax.com a non-exclusive right to display written content in the context of the "forum" (interactively usable discussion board). It was non-exclusive and so I am allowed to use my posts for whatever I want. Exception are Quotes of other users - a pity no real quoting was possible :-)

@ Legality
To pursue you, the pursuers need to have a lawyer in your country. So you cannot get sued by a New Zealand lawyer alone. Means it costs a bit - and I somehow doubt that Mark or Skid are favoring these options.
It is one of the reasons why I got "kindly asked" for money from German lawyers for things people of other countries originally did - while I just offered the download link of their freeware.

One _could_ argue that the posts of the old forum contain "educational stuff" so other rules of copyright and their usage might apply. So especially the "programming"-forums might be of interest, not so much the "general discussion"-subforum.

bye
Ron

markcwm

Well thank the Simon for that! I was afraid he had taken the humps and stopped paying the domain. Thankfully my hunch was wrong and Blitz lives on, at least for another year anyway.

So I'm pretty darn grateful that tonight I don't have to go and Google site:blitzbasic.com and click on cars and street signs every two pages and then restart my hub when they ban my IP after an hour. And then tomorrow to have to start browsing the terribly slow Internet Archive for perhaps the rest of the month! Yikes. I couldn't even do a text search on that place, when I tried it just yielded no results!

Derron

Had to do the "select all pictures showing street signs" thing too ... and yes, if I mark all "pieces" containing parts of the signs, then it fails. It fails so often ... it is one of the f*** off things on recaptcha. Same for the "mark all cars" - I am pretty sure that I can identify "cars" on an else-empty-street. Prefer clicking on the "open circle" ;-)

bye
Ron

Krischan

Great. I can't live without the old posts. Umm Qube, is it possible that you could upload your archive somewhere and I "figure out" the downlink by chance? ;D I would like to have an offline version of it, just to continue learning from it.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Qube

QuoteUmm Qube, is it possible that you could upload your archive somewhere and I "figure out" the downlink by chance?
lol, funny :P - It's not that I'm hanging on to them to say "Look what I got!!", it's just I'm not sure if I can be arsed with any potential legal crap with BRL. I have asked if I can host the archive here but never had a response. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind shoving a fair few grand and lawyers way if I believe I'm in the right, even if I need to take it down in the end. I just don't want to start such a thing if it's not needed.

Mojolabs is up and running and has the archive online. There is nothing stopping anyone from using free software to grab their own offline archive ( not that I'm condoning such things ). Also I remember Yue said he had a full Blitz archive. Plus GoodLookingGuy also has one, so there are avenues available if you need an offline archive.

From a personal point of view I would just like permission to host it ( I have asked but not had a response ). However, in the event there are no other online / offline places to view the old BB forums then don't worry. If it comes to it then I will host them here and go through the legal shite if needed. But for now, mojolabs.nz exists and thus the old BB forums are available to view.

Until the next time.

Yue

Somebody want to help me?

I'm looking for an old code in order to visualize correctly the memory used, free in Blitz3D. The code I can't find, I think it was Kryson, who helped me then.

ENAY

It's a shame Simon isn't even a member of this site, even if he posts just once just to clarify it himself. I mean, we all spent a decade or more programming together in Blitz.

Just seems a shame that somewhere along the way things got so disjointed in the community.