January 16, 2018, 09:40:34 PM

Author Topic: Best way to get BlitzMax games on Switch and Mobile?  (Read 108 times)

Offline GreyAlien

Best way to get BlitzMax games on Switch and Mobile?
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
NG doesn't have Switch support as far as I know right? But what about mobile?

Or is the best thing to port BlitzMax to Monkey (or Monkey2?) and go from there? I know Monkey supports mobile as I used it for an iOS/Android port, but what about Switch and other consoles?

Offline Derron

Re: Best way to get BlitzMax games on Switch and Mobile?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 07:15:27 PM »
For now there is no "switch support" - and I think it might need a bit more than a gifted Switch for Brucey. Dunno if the libs work there or not.

@ Mobile
There should be Android / RasPi support. iOS might be there too.

But I can say that Brucey is kind of buried under work load now, so I assume bigger things just happen if he needs them at work "somehow" (module stuff bugs which need to get ironed out). Everything else is done in his spare-rare sparetime.

Regardless of this: NG compiles to "C", so at the end everything is possible - with knowledge on what the platform needs and how it needs its "food".

bye
Ron

Offline GreyAlien

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21:41 PM »
Ah OK thanks for the info. So yeah Switch = no go.

For me to do a mobile port, I'd definitely need iOS, but ofc it's totally understandable that Brucey is busy and that may not be 100% ready (or if it's close, it's bound to need tweaks once tested on the actual platform for a commercial game).

Regarding compiling to C, does it output some readable C++ code before that gets turned into the final exe? I seem to recall that being a phase. So in theory I could give someone that output (and the BlitzMax code with comments for reference) and say "use this to make a port" right?

Or if I found the right person, they could modify the BlitzMaxNG mods to fix any mobile side issues if Brucey was too busy.

Offline Derron

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »
Last option is what would generate a benefit for all users :)

Assume SDL - which is used on certain platforms - is available for "platform X" too, then it might be easier to get things running. Similar to Monkey the crucial things are "system" (file handling, input, events) and multimedia (graphics, sounds). Generic things like maps, lists ... are (I assume you know that) working regardless of the OS.

@ readable C
Just give it a try - the more complex it gets, the more complex the files become.
I would say one could _read_ the code but I would not suggest to use it as a base for a port. It allows to understand the "logic" behind but it is not that pretty to watch at (at least for me, as a not-experienced-in-C programmer).

BTW it generates (for now) C and not C++. Brucey played with the idea of switching to C++ (as it allows to more directly convert from bmx to C++ without the need of "helping structures" as some things are not 1:1 available in C while they are in C++).

@ iOS
Do not have iOS devices, so I never tried that. Only tried Windows, Mac, Linux and Android with NG.

bye
Ron

Offline GW

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:22:18 PM »
I once wrote a android game in in bmaxNG for android (it uses the Max2s_sdl mod), It worked. I have no idea about ios, but in the past brucey has shown screenshots of some the bmax demos running on ios.
The c code put out by NG is almost readable, but I wouldn't want to edit it. better off tweaking the mods to add the functionality you want. 

EDIT: Here is link  http://mojolabs.nz/posts.php?topic=106403

Offline GreyAlien

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:57:38 PM »
OK thanks for the info. I didn't realise it outputted C, not C++. Yeah OK so it doesn make more sense to modify the mods instead and maybe for me give BlitzMaxNG to a porting company to handle the mod alterations.