Snow in the Sahara desert - Climate change?

Started by Yue, January 10, 2018, 03:04:42

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

There's been yearly snow in Tokyo and back in England where my parents live almost every year. After a childhood of being able to play in the snow in Winter, perhaps twice. Now that I've moved away I could be playing almost every year.

Certainly climate change, funny though that although indeed summers and getting hotter year on year. No media seems to want to comment on how winters are getting much colder, as it goes against their "Global warming is going to end the world unless we do something!" narrative.

I didn't know that there was xnow in the Sahara desert, that's certainly pretty rare.

Rick Nasher

Except that in Holland we haven't been able to do ice skating properly for like 2 decades or so, but we do get more and higher water flooding and more tropical summers. Thankfully the Dutch are masters at building water management systems to keep it out and within safe barriers(and have the money to do so). In other parts of the world they are not so lucky.

Also the rest of the world is generally speaking much more warm on average than last centuries.

That winters become harsher in some unexpected places is all part of the bigger picture. The models predicted this long time ago, perhaps people remember when they said "expect to see more extreme an violent weather". They didn't just mean heatwaves/droughts/firestorms. But also unexpected blizzards and cold fronts.

Now if this is only due to human greenhouse effects etc I'm wondering about though, but denying the heat change in climate over the entire planet, just because on some spots it appears to be getting more cold, is closing your eyes for the temperatures measured over the entire planet.

Polar ice is melting more rapid than ever before, causing the normal hot & cold, sweet & salty water + connected air flows to get disrupted and weather patterns will get weird and different. For Holland this means the tropical Caribbean Gulf stream that heats our coasts may first appear to be more hot, bringing more tropical species along(currently happening), but they've also predicted a tipping point when the stream will come to a halt, due to more sweet water from the polar region poring into the underwater currents. This then in turn might trigger a new ice age for Northern Europe due to the relatively high altitude upon the planet, causing the whole thing to start over and build new ice?

So there are quite a few paradoxes and uncertainties involved.

Henri

Climate change does not mean that the temperature is rising everywhere (not to be mixed with global temperature). In fact, it can get colder as well, because local weather is not directly derived from ambient temperature.
What it means is literally change from norm. How we see it in our lives is in the form of extreme weather (colder where previously was warm, and vice versa, and in increased extreme events like hurricanes etc.)

The problem with this change is that it's unpredictable. Only thing certain is that people's life's are going to be affected.

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

RemiD

Maybe the rise of temperatures is due to some changes in the sun and its radiation and also to some changes in the earth atmosphere/magnetic field... Not necessarily entirely due to humans activities/pollution.

However, there is no advantage to pollute more, to not recycle, and to waste ressources, so let's avoid to do that.

But paying more taxes, will have no impact whatsoever on reducing the wasting of ressources and pollution, this is just an excuse to steal more money from the people...

The dutch are apparently the first people to take "waterworld" seriously, and they may be right ;-)

In other parts of the world they are not so lucky.
[troll]
maybe they should spend more time praying to their benevolent, all knowing, powerfull, god ?
[/troll]

GaborD

There is a clear scientific concensus on this topic. No point in arguing it.
Best to look up the research instead of blindly believing politicians (on either side) who are mostly just pushing selfish agendas and don't care about truth or reason.

Rick Nasher

Quote from: RemiD on January 10, 2018, 10:07:16
The dutch are apparently the first people to take "waterworld" seriously, and they may be right ;-)

Well, at least the ones with enough capital and skill to actually do something about it. A lesson learned after the disastrous North Sea flood of 1953, when almost half the country was flooded. They then build and upgraded a huge system of stronger dikes and massive barriers, that can open and close depending on weather conditions, guarding from the rivers and sea.

The country is mostly a river delta(as the Nile in Egypt) situated below sealevel as quite a bit of land was taken from the sea centuries ago by using dikes and windmills to drain it, so they have to keep a close eye on water rise in order for the system to able to handle the water volumes and are therefore always making pre-calculations on influencing factors, such as weather and climate.

ThickO

Good old climate change. So dishonest on both sides.
3D makes my head hurt...

Matty

So...when it melts can we expect to see a lush green sahara thanks to the presence of all that water.  Sand is typically great soil for grasses and with that amount of water there should be verdant fields of grass in the desert transforming it at least temporarily.

That's assuming the pictures are legitimate.

Rick Nasher

They are legit, but was only very, very briefly and it happens every 20 years or so.
Nothing new, unless from now on it's every year of course.

Henri

- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Matty

ENAY

One thing that has always bugged me is that in the early 1800s, Winters were so cold that the River Thames became a giant ice rink. There was a yearly Ice Skating event in London for that reason, there have been acrylic painting showing that this was a cultural thing, now the thought of that happening now in 2000 year+ is totally absurb, but the globe warmed up enough, a hell of a lot to stop that from happening. So global warming of the world was happening way before most people even knew what a car was, let alone anything about CO2 and green house gases.

I'm not a Scientist so I can't prove it either way. Why does nobody talk about stuff like that though? Cherry picking is dangerous, to anything in life.

Naughty Alien

I'm not a Scientist so I can't prove it either way. Why does nobody talk about stuff like that though? Cherry picking is dangerous, to anything in life.

..dont you worry my man..scientists cant prove it either..they just talking gibberish aligned with their funds they are depending on...mama earth was much much warmer before, that what we have today is a breeze..

https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/522307/Climate-Change-Doubts-Study-Shows-Overestimate-Forecast-Weather

therevills

Quote from: Naughty Alien on January 11, 2018, 02:09:13
https://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/522307/Climate-Change-Doubts-Study-Shows-Overestimate-Forecast-Weather

A tabloid newspaper link?  :o

For me, Climate Change is real...

There is scientific proof that Climate Change is real...

If we dont do something soon the planet is screwed... do people really want to risk the only place we can live on?