Something my ex girlfriend taught me

Started by Matty, January 05, 2018, 04:09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

I learned (a lot of time ago) that you can't help who want not to be helped.
i totally agree, but i would add that some can't be helped even if they want to (because of heavy handicaps, chronic health problems, mental traumas)

Yue

I'm going to talk about happiness.

In class we have a psychologist teacher who gives us the goal of human development. This class is about motivation, playfulness and other things.  In one of his classes I asked all the students if we were happy.

They all responded that yes, and as I always have to do something different I told him that I was not happy, and I had to argue the reason for my answer:"I am not happy, because at 39 years of age I shouldn't be studying, I should be in a job earning a salary that covers my needs, I have free time and money to visit Europe".

While it's true that I seem to have a better computer, Derron is greatly thanked for sending me an Intel processor from Germany, on the other hand take 7 months saving exclusively for a second GTX 1050ti graphics card. And when I bought it I felt a great remorse because I should have bought better things for my house, I didn't have many things, just a cat, some old furniture and I pay rent in a really very small apartment. It should be noted that I have a family that has always been with me both in good times and bad.  A month ago I found two AOC monitors in the basara, always, I thwarted them and assembled a new one, so I don't have an old and square monitor anymore, but a more modern and stylish one. The difference was really impressive when the electricity bill came in, under almost 60%.

By this I mean that I have learned to settle for what I have, not to say that if I find a better opportunity I have to take advantage of it, and for that reason I think I make a sacrifice to go to school, when sometimes I think that this time of study would be better to invest it in my house, with my daughter, my wife and my cat. But anyway, what I think is that life is like a ladder.

And we are each on different steps, and the idea is to be able to ascend to the next one, and if we don't succeed, to leave the path for my daughter to do it, that's all, some were born in steps higher and others lower. It doesn't matter, the important thing is to try to do something, that's what it's worth even if the goals are not achieved, we have to make some progress at least.

In saying the above, happiness implies having things that satisfy us, a house, a car, food, clothing, things that we do not need but that give us stability, confidence and happiness. Now, for me to buy a house, I need to meet state requirements, I have to have 6,000 euros for a down payment, a house that costs about 30,000 euros, I speak in euros so that they can understand me better. At the rate I'm going, when I get old, I don't think I'll have my house, much less something to leave my daughter. But that's what I've done and I have to learn to settle for it.

Don't make me understand

RemiD

some were born in steps higher and others lower. It doesn't matter, the important thing is to try to do something, that's what it's worth even if the goals are not achieved, we have to make some progress at least.
I think that's a good attitude to have...
I often say : i do a competition with me (version from the past), not with other people...

cpsmith0191

In the 17 hundreds a big wig from Scotland (called 'Conocquart' something I can't pronounce or spell) wrote a paper condemning all forms of the then 'poor laws' in an attempt to undermine the charitable disposition of the middle / upper classes, Ie the poor are feckless scroungers, if you give money, provide a roof over their heads or indeed food. you just encouraged more to ask for help, sound farmiliar? He got a peerage out of it and was lauded by the then Wigs. It wasn't until a liberal MP (who's name I can't remember but who became the father of statistics) made a study of the homeless, the beggars and the people who relied on poor law provision, that the ideas put about by the big wig where refuted and when the big wig was asked to provide evidence of his assertions it was found that he had none.
I strongly suspect that evidence that the poor/homeless are all or even mostly scroungers is lacking and that the only evidence is urban myths. Just put yourself in their shoes, would you beg? would you ask for help? I suspect that like me that is the last thing you would do. Please don't be fooled give as much as you can to either the individuals or to the charities helping them. Homelessness in the UK is societies failure (remember most citizens pay a national insurance to provide against "old age, sickness, infirmity and the vagaries of market forces" Winston Churchill) and a side effect of political descisions. It is a stain on all citizens copy book, have fun cps

Yue

Another issue to add, the poor, are a very powerful tool for politicians, with them winning votes on the basis of promises that are very difficult to keep.

ENAY

"I'm just reading the comments" Yue

Goes on to make a massive wall of text. Just saying :)