Blitz Basic download

Started by windman, January 03, 2018, 00:49:02

Previous topic - Next topic

windman

Hello

This might seem stupid but where is the link for the download of blitz Basic?

I registered on the old blitz site and cannot find those links anymore

Has all support and access to the files been terminated?

RonTek

Hey windman,

https://blitzresearch.itch.io/blitz3d/purchase

It's free (make a donation is optional) so just click on the "No thanks, just take me to downloads" link..

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: windman on January 03, 2018, 00:49:02Has all support and access to the files been terminated?

If by support you mean Mark Sibly, then yes, support is no more. If you're talking about the community, a lot of them migrated here.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

windman

What about the so called Hardwired project?

RonTek

Quote from: windman on January 03, 2018, 03:13:54
What about the so called Hardwired project?

I have checked most popular topics on the old forums, including hardwired and so it seems the author passed away a few years ago and so this project has been cancelled.

RemiD

alternatively : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3888.0.html (reply#4)
This version removes the need to activate/install directplay on Windows 8 / Windows 10...
Not sure if the last version by Blitzresearch has this fix...

RonTek

Quote from: RemiD on January 03, 2018, 07:03:27
alternatively : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3888.0.html (reply#4)
This version removes the need to activate/install directplay on Windows 8 / Windows 10...
Not sure if the last version by Blitzresearch has this fix...

Hey RemiD, It does have DirectPlay integrated, but for me I don't see this as a problem or needs to be fixed. I still see most games (some on Steam) which still utilizes directplay as their networking of choice, not sure if this was preference though but they do use it.

In short, if directplay does not cause any conflict then I think it should be left there as an option for Blitz3D devs.

RemiD

In short, if directplay does not cause any conflict then I think it should be left there as an option for Blitz3D devs.
@RonTek>>I hope that you are not serious ?!
Haven't you read my other post about this error on Windows 10 ? The program won't even run, it crashes with an error message !
here : https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3888.0.html

Of course that such error is a problem !

So a version of Blitz3d which does not use directplay is really good news.

Consider that what you know, and what you manage to do, is not necessarily what some of your users know or manage to do.

So if some of your users are afraid of such errors, or are intimidated to search for the fix and to activate/install directplay, that's not good...

Moreover, you don't need directplay, you can still use all the TCP/UDP commands, and with this, you can create a multi users tool/game.

RonTek

Yes, seriously. I handed out a few demos some time ago on a particular test group with Win10 target users and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

This comes down to development preference, and for me I don't see any problem notifying users with installing directplay, which is already and still supported as legacy components of Win10 in the first place.

hate to disagree with you on this, but this is just based on my experience and approach with post development. I also did that NSIS custom packaging thing and all that shebang.

As for rolling out and building your own B3D version from source, yes it is a good thing if you don't require or use directplay, it's as simple as that.

cheers.

RemiD

I handed out a few demos some time ago on a particular test group with Win10 target users and they don't seem to have a problem with it.
Well good for you, but maybe these target users are people who are "computer savy" ? (Not always the case)

In an era where people have many choices and want things to work well and now, i am not sure that it is the best approach to distribute programs which provoke a crash/error if a (useless) option is not activated/installed by default on their recent OSs...

The update kfprimm proposed seems stable (from my tests, and also no bug reported by others developpers who use it).

The modifications kfprimm made were :
All I did was demo dplayx.lib from the list of libraries that link to runtime.dll, removed the bbruntime/multiplayer files, & commented the multiplayer_create, multiplayer_link, & multiplayer_destroy lines here: https://github.com/blitz-research/blitz3d/blob/master/bbruntime/bbruntime.cpp
So unless somebody finds a bug somewhere, i see no advantage to use the "official" version which provokes a crash/error.

But of course, you do what you want ! I am just sharing the info/update.

Yue

I'm still using.

Blitz3D 164 +  B3DDocsPac188+ update 1106 + FastLibs + WindFix.dll

Copy and paste dplayx.dll folder root game.

If you need anything, I can pass it on. :)

RemiD

tried this, it does not work on a computer with Windows 10... it says that there are missing linked libraries or something like that...
Are you sure that you have deactivated/uninstalled directplay before trying your suggestion ?

Rick Nasher

@Yue:
You are using one of my favorite monsters!  8)   :D

Yue

Quote from: RemiD on January 03, 2018, 20:20:40
tried this, it does not work on a computer with Windows 10... it says that there are missing linked libraries or something like that...
Are you sure that you have deactivated/uninstalled directplay before trying your suggestion ?

here run perfect.

If you want to upload the library, I think you're using the wrong one.

Yue

As a note, in order to work with Blitz3D on Windows 10, the library must also be copied and pasted into the "bin" address of Blitz3D.