Why Oh Why....

Started by 3DzForMe, December 31, 2017, 14:17:45

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

Delved back into a bit of MonkeyX compilation this morning... stumbled across a hiccup whilst attempting to upload the updated compiled files.

From the date stamps of the data folder and the associated files - as far as I could tell, ONLY the main.js file 'appeared' to have been modified today.

Fine, I'll just upload the main.js to the server, it didn't work however - the text being rendered to the web browser did not appear.

After much head scratching, I finally .olded the five directories/files within the server's copy of the monkey executable and copied over all five files/directories to the server. Bingo, problem solved.

Maybe I should just accept it and move on, however it'd be nice to know what resolved it. I supppose I could phaff re-inststing the other four .olds in isloation until it failed.... but it took a while to get it to where its at now, ie working on the server.

Morale of the story, if compiling something new in MonkeyX, just upload the whole compiled folder contents to the server rather than just what look like the updated files.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

RonTek

Hey 3DzForMe, It should be the following files for HTML5/Web target:

MonkeyGame.html
main.js
favicon.ico
MainSourceFileName.data (folder)
|_ yourgameassets.png
|_ ...
|_ ...
|_ mojo_font.png

Here's the link again for the Pro87a download, just in case.. https://blitzresearch.itch.io/monkeyx/purchase

Just click "No thanks, just take me to downloads" link if you want to skip donation.

I'm now actually using this version since I think this was the last and latest Pro version that was just released a few months ago.

Hope that helps.

3DzForMe

@RonTek, thanks for the feedback. I updated to MonkeyX version 86e I think it was, for somre reason, despite running from the 86e directory, MonkeyX still used seventy something version. tried an initial stab at trying to update paths or whatever to get Monkey to compile with the latest, but I gave up - it was doing what I wanted at any rate. Will try the recent one soon - I did buy MonkeyX, suppose that gave my lethargic backside the mojo to get too grips with it.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

RonTek

Sure thing and that's great, yes it is recommended to just use the latest. I remember using an older free version before and I had to apply some fixes for the html5/webgl and minib3d-mx to work.