Can you believe it - we're almost there - Mars

Started by Matty, December 15, 2017, 02:52:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

By the 2030s supposedly we'll have a man on Mars.

Can you believe that? It's amazing.

Assuming as a species we find some good solutions to some difficult challenges we face we may actually become a space faring race which is essential to our long term survival as a species (by long term - I mean tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years)

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-releases-plan-outlining-next-steps-in-the-journey-to-mars

Yue

According to the Russian scientist, I am an Asgardian citizen and in eight years they plan to send humans to live in space.

I suppose and I firmly believe that there is still a long way to go, and, being very positive, I am putting a century in which it is possible to have a colony on the moon.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Naughty Alien

...apparently they cant go to the Moon as they have DESTROYED such tech, but hey, lets live on Mars..i dont believe a one single word came from NASA and those on their payroll..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1H1WxWTuc

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

This is a good example of "real science" (any human can use the scientific method to determine if something is most likely true or most likely false), and "modern science" (some humans with titles claim something, and most people have no way to verify if this is true or false)

If i can't verify it, and if most people can't verify it, how can you be sure that this is true ? (similar to the dogmas of religions...)

Not saying that the info is false, just saying that i can't verify that this is true  :-X

Naughty Alien

...well..in case of NASA, situation is rather simple...they cant do today, something they did flawlessly, some 50 years ago with far less advanced tech/materials available..and to make it even worse, they dont know how to solve problems, which seems to be rather trivial for thin aluminium thin can, apollo craft was made of(about 5 mm thick aluminium shell)...or to put it on simple way, ask Ford, are they able to build with today tech,  legendary Ford T...i guarantee you, answer is yes...but hey..NASA somehow, lose 10000 telemetry tapes and data, all blueprints used to build such 'advanced tech', and i mean..not a one single thing to be available...you know...space agency with sole purpose to...explore..space...destroy ONLY available tech which does job flawlessly...i mean...where is Monty Python when i need them..

Henri

Trump believes we went to the moon, as he insists that we go back.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/12/11/trump-orders-nasa-to-send-american-astronauts-to-the-moon-mars.html

Personally, I think we live the golden age of space exploration, and that it's possible to witness these events in my lifetime. Simply traveling to the Moon and Mars is relatively easy. The tricky part is staying there for longer periods of time as the environment is challenging in both.

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Rick Nasher

Problem with all the conspiracy theory 'facts' is that pretty much all of them can be debunked. Just do a little googling and you'll fine valid explanations. Hard to know the truth that way.

Common sense however dictates that if the Russians (an also space faring and competing nation) would have noticed then I bet ya that first thing they'd do is rub the USA's nose into it and make it global news.

Unless of course we're all being scammed about nations, societies, aliens, the universe and all of that is being complete bs to keep us busy with futilities, so we don't really think and cause an up rise. Or perhaps just because they can.. lol
(just kidding here, even though I've witnessed quite a few strange things here there I can't fully explain leaving me questioning the nature of our existence).

[EDIT: recent example of truth or complete fabrication ? See here..  :D
https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/16726822/spacex-falcon-heavy-tesla-roadster-launch-elon-musk ]

Yue

Regarding the moon, the information I've read has to do with the fact that we don't have a viable technology to deal with moon dust. You could go for a walk, but it doesn't make sense if you can't leave a hill on the moon, the lunar dust is really corrosive and for the moment you don't have that technology.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Naughty Alien

@Rick
..what conspiracy are you talking about? What is presented is direct speech of very NASA astronauts and engineers working on latest spacecraft...which part is conspirscy when they saying directly that technology is destroyed by them and that they do not know how to solve radiation issues before manned mission takes place...where is conspiracy here...couple that with tons of inconsistencies all moon missions are infested with and picture is more than obvious...it doesnt require any conspiracy....they are telling you straight to face in 2017 that they cant do what they did 50 years ago...which part is hard to understand here?

Henri

@Yue you are correct. Moon has been constantly bombarded trough it's lifetime, resulting extra fine dust with microscopic size sharp edges, that is like asbestos: Not good for humans to breath, and also hard on machinery (sticks everywhere). Also Moon doesn't have atmosphere anymore, so there is no natural protection from Sun's radiation.

@NA
All the videos posted in this thread show fragments of information lost from their original context. The whole story is nicely summarized in this article https://www.space.com/7015-40-years-moon-landing-hard.html

-Henri

Henri

Blue Origin just published a cool video of their launch of crew module into edge of space (100 km). You get a good sense on how it might feel if you'd actually go there.

-Henri

Naughty Alien

..okay..i have read this article and it doesn't say anything in particular...pure diplomatic expressions...it doesn't mentioning at all issues with radiation which Orion engineer was addressing (to be solved yet, but it seems to be solved back then in 60's)..on one hand you listening astronaut claiming that such technology doesnt exist anymore, while this article says that, they are building rockets capable of such feat, so, technology is actually there?? Or not?? You cant get bloody clear answer from NASA..mission impossible..and those fish eye lenses..NASA cant breathe without those..

degac

I'm missed the point about the Moon and the fact none was on our natural satellite...
I don't remember anymore, but I think more than 10.000 people worked at the Apollo project... and NONE has an evidence that confirm that we DIDN'T REACH the moon, walked, driven a go-kart and returned. Or (better!) someone has a so big power to convince all of them that the US reached the goal.... choose yourself.
And as Rich said I really doubt soviet at the time of Cold War didn't use this for its own goals...
Modern technology allows to check the evidences left on the Moon surface... just check yourself.

The reality is: at the time, the 'reach for the Moon' was just a 'brute force example' of the superior (military) power of the USA over the rest of the world: if they can reach the Moon, it's natural they can reach (and destroy) any place on the Earth!
And - curiously - all the crews on Apollos were soldiers of US military force.

Surely if we want to make pure science we can use remote robots (and even at the time the Russian did!): we did on Mars. Why no men? Simple, there's no more the 'old' enemy to impress.

Even China want to follow up the USA on the Moon: why? Just to show at the world they are BIG and dangerous.

Sending men to the Moon is useless: it's not secure for human being, it's just a place where to put nuclear implants, big automatic production plants or mines, big astronomic observatory etc. (BIG=gravity is about 1/6 of the Earth so you can think bigger...)

MARS

2 days ago, after more than 4 month in the external atmosphere, 3 people (one is italian) came back to the Earth: they need to be helped to exit the capsule, muscle, heart, etc are so exile that they can't go out...
Imagine to live for 6/8 (x2) months just to travel to Mars, then try to LAND on it (gravity is 1/3 of the Earth, but none will help them!).
We need to build up proper spaceships with some artificial gravity (centrifugal force, or with constant acceleration... but then we need to 'stop'!)

In any case it seems clear that space nowadays is no more matter for States: none want that taxes will be spent for sending human (few) on another planet (or satellite) (China, excluded!)

If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Henri

The article was a summary of comparing modern spaceflight and 50'-70' spaceflight in higher level to get decent understanding of issues involved.

Basically, in the cold war era it was paramount to beat the Soviets in the race to the Moon. It wasn't just for fun and games, but for tactical reasons. If the enemy launches an attack straight from above, there is no defense for it. This is what people in charge thought, so it was imperative not to lose.

American's also put their money where their mouth was, as the budget to do this was 5 percent of whole federal budget:

The mission then was to put man to the Moon and return him safely back. Everything was aligned to this goal, including the technology needed. After this had been done and it was realized that there was no real threat from the Soviet's, the interest declined (as seen on the budget).  All the information at that time was confidential for obvious reasons. There were no databases to store files, everything was archived somewhere secure to gather moth and some probably lost.

The goal today is different. We want to establish a base of operation in the Moon and this mean a whole new set of challenges as described in the article. Even if we had all the previous technology readily available, it doesn't suit for the modern purpose. It all comes down to money, and money comes down to general interest of the people. If people think space exploration is important then this reflects funding of this endeavor. What NASA and other space agency's can do is research and gather information how to do this most efficiently, so that when the time comes, they are ready. This really is a global effort ,and not NASA alone. Others are are launching missions to space too.

-Henri

Ps. The Blue Origin is the company of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and is the rival of Elon Musks SpaceX. Nothing "fishy" about that :-) . They plan to send people there in 2019, so it's very near future.