Ooops
April 10, 2020, 09:18:07 AM

Author Topic: Monkey2 News: 9/12/2017 - MojoVR  (Read 1665 times)

Offline therevills

Monkey2 News: 9/12/2017 - MojoVR
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »
http://monkeycoder.co.nz/2017/12/09/december-update//

Summary:
* Work on Mojo3D continues
* New MojoVR module in the works!
* Monkey2 coming to Steam!
* New OpenGL system
* WIP 64Bit Windows Builds

Offline col

Re: Monkey2 News: 9/12/2017 - MojoVR
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:32:05 AM »
Don't mean to burst your bubble however...

Err and?

Cool, sounds good  8)

Should have been since day 1

* New OpenGL system
new OpenGL? new OpenGL is Vulkan so errr what's new?

should be standard in this day and age.
To be is to be perceived.

https://github.com/davecamp

Offline degac

• graphio.net
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 07:47:59 AM »
Err and?

It's already a good thing that mojo3d is STILL in dev... considering some Mark's post on Twitter. If you read carefully Mark already said the main limit is not the engine 3d itself, but the lack of 'content' : using something for an engine written 15 years ago without shaders with low poly is not a great way to give an impression of the engine: the duck is... like the teapot for OpenGL in the '90!
I've seen some days ago in this forum some interesting screenshots from BlitzMax+OpenB3d: that scene should be used (really) in mojo3d to see it in action

Moreover it seems (I've no time at the moment) that Marks had implemented many Blitz3d features about animation etc...

Cool, sounds good  8)

Mah... I still consider it a loss of time.
I would prefer something about AR instead... many possibilities than simple games
And... Mark has a 'new toy' to play with, and this means that everything will put on delay. Again
(maybe some people needs proper network support, an helper/wizard to compile on Android etc... )

Should have been since day 1

Agree, but I suppose it's something more elaborate than a simple 'module'... he's writing about a sort of WIP (with Skid?) about this.

* New OpenGL system
new OpenGL? new OpenGL is Vulkan so errr what's new?

Of course the 'long translation' is: moved from OpenGLES to OpenGL, Angle support just for Mojo2 (at the moment), SDL everywhere.
Well, I don't understand if it's a good move or not...

should be standard in this day and age.

Well, I'm still using Bmax 'vanilla' on a Windows10 system... so the concept of NEED is quite subjective.
On other system (MacOS, Linux) surely is a priority, but as it seems that the main platform is Windows, I don't see so many problems to be 'late'...
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Offline EdzUp

• EdzUp
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 01:39:02 PM »
In all honesty the barebones 3d system needs finishing you can texture using the "pbr" thing which is a directory of texture images etc. Full bright etc is not at all easy to follow and yes I've asked and looked to no avail.

I know shades are the way forwards BUT surely a simple full bright render should not require a shader.

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 02:19:58 PM »
MojoVR sounds most interesting  8)

Offline Pakz

• My homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 02:28:57 PM »
I noticed a news article a couple of days ago on convected "insane" criminals being treated with vr. This year I also noticed soccer clubs using vr to train their (young) players.

I am not keen on vr myself. I think it would make me feel like I am "Dark Helmet" from the movie "Spaceballs"

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 02:32:43 PM »
I noticed a news article a couple of days ago on convected "insane" criminals being treated with vr. This year I also noticed soccer clubs using vr to train their (young) players.

I am not keen on vr myself. I think it would make me feel like I am "Dark Helmet" from the movie "Spaceballs"

Dark Helmet from Spaceballs  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal