Quick BlitzMax+OpenB3D test

Started by GaborD, December 07, 2017, 06:58:24

Previous topic - Next topic

GaborD

Naughty Alien's fault! He told me OpenB3D is good and I should try it :p

Very messy scene, will make a real one when I have time.
Some objects are missing (hence the weird shadows at some spots), because they needed a 2nd UV set and I couldn't figure that out shader side. The b3d file has them (can use them in NB) but in OpenB3D it kept giving me UV channel 1 data even if I tried to access the second. Prolly some stupid mistake on my end.
That's also why the plants are messed up. Had to bake a texture with the UV positions of the lightmap channel. A bit messy.
So excuse the bad level, it's more of a tech test, to see how fast PBR-ish shaders run. Card is a 1070.
I must say I am impressed with the raw speed and the kinks can surely be worked out. Need to tweak mipmap levels for instance and also find a good way to get tangents/binormals.

RonTek

Looking good GaborD. Are those textured shadows or baked lighting? keep it up.

Naughty Alien

..now ya talking..heheh..this is fantastic...proper 3D muscles on my lovely BMX..yeeeeeeeee  :)

I really think you should join OpenB3D dev fellas...very very nice bunch of folks and pushing it for years...im very sure they will be more than happy to have you on board..

GaborD

It's baked for now, but I will work on that next.

I really like the Max+OpenB3D combo, could be a good candidate for making games.

RonTek

Quote from: GaborD on December 07, 2017, 07:10:43
It's baked for now, but I will work on that next.

I really like the Max+OpenB3D combo, could be a good candidate for making games.

I see, that's great and yes it is. I agree with NA here and you could perhaps improve the default normal mapping particularly with directional lighting (with or w/o PBR) along with other basic shader stuff (water, textured shadows/pssm). cheers.

markcwm

Wow nice work! I love the PBR stuff. :o

Thanks to Naughty A for the recommendation.

I was planning on setting up a lightmapped scene to test out the 2nd uv set for both shader and fixed function pipelines. I'll have a look into it now, as far as I know no lightmap tests have been done in Openb3d yet.

Naughty Alien

Quote from: markcwm on December 08, 2017, 01:40:25
Wow nice work! I love the PBR stuff. :o

Thanks to Naughty A for the recommendation.

I was planning on setting up a lightmapped scene to test out the 2nd uv set for both shader and fixed function pipelines. I'll have a look into it now, as far as I know no lightmap tests have been done in Openb3d yet.

..Gabor is right guy to have on dev board..i have seen his work on shaders long ago at NG forum(gone now) and some other place (i forgot name)...in some real sense, fella is shader master and to have him on board is massive YE YE YE...super highly recommended..i really think OpenB3D + BMX will benefit a lot from this setup..

GaborD

Nah, I have no real clue, I just goof around with this stuff until it looks good. Not really a programmer.
I will however help if I can.
Also thinking about reviving my old PBR tutorials from the NB forums, but for OpenB3D or AGK. Because just posting shaders won't really help anyone. PBR lives or dies with the data you feed it in my opinion. The shader is the easy part.

iWasAdam

any help with shader and opengl is always great ;)

Steve Elliott

Up to your usual high standards  :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

markcwm

After a quick test with RomanBath.b3d I confirm there is an issue loading the 2nd uv set in Openb3d (only textures are loaded and alpha textures aren't set either), in Minib3d it all loads fine. I checked the uv data and the 2nd set is there so it could be an issue with brushes, still investigating.

Naughty Alien

..i hope that will be sorted out...i really need that to work well..

GaborD

Yep would be really useful.
My workaround for now is to bake the non-unique layout uv channel into either a texture or the vertex colors (those work fine).

Not having access to binormals&tangents is a pain too, thus I also prebake binormals.
I know there are solutions to compute them in-shader, but this is static data, it should be calculated once.

markcwm

Still not sure but it looks like LoadTexture is the problem, texture blend values don't seem to be loaded, which is probably why lightmaps don't work.