I don't know what to think about education.

Started by Yue, December 03, 2017, 03:51:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Yue

I wanted to write this, it's really necessary, I've never set foot on an educational campus in my life.

Until a month ago, and I'm really frustrated. And the only teacher who convinces me that he has property and knowledge is the teacher who teaches us English.

The fact is that when the programming teacher tells you that the first day that html is made up of a head (<Head>, and has no idea where it goes in the html structure, I think something is wrong, but last Wednesday I happen to have something really distressed and is that the teacher says that java script is not a programming language, I mean, something is wrong with me or is the teacher who does not know shit about what he is talking about.

This is terrible, my notes are taken, and the worrying thing is that many people, my classmates are unaware of it and assume that the teacher is teaching correctly.  Then I can only notice something, the education in Colombia is really mediocre or something happens with that teacher.

iWasAdam

smile, take note, and do your own research.

If they are teaching crap, then at the end they will get crap students - BUT NOT YOU!

Qube

Quotethe teacher says that java script is not a programming language
It depends on the context he was referring to. Javascript is not a general purpose programming language but it is a web programming language. Some refer to it as just a scripting language but strictly speaking javascript is a programming language.

Quotethe teacher who does not know shit about what he is talking about
Must be a common thread... When I was at college our tutor was teaching us coding and put up a small program on the board to show us. As he was going through the code I mentally went though it and raised my hand, "sir, that code won't work". I kid you not, the whole class stared like I'd just shat my pants. I explained that the tutors code wouldn't work as it never passes zero ( he'd made a mistake in his early variables ). The tutor then looks at the board for a minute, laughs to himself and says "You're right, it won't work". He corrected his code and continued the lesson. The following week he went through some more code, pointed at me and said "I've checked it this time", to much hilarity from the rest of the class.

So yes, your tutor may make mistakes but overall that's not the important thing. The important thing is to complete the course and get that lovely certificate at the end.

QuoteThis is terrible, my notes are taken, and the worrying thing is that many people, my classmates are unaware of it and assume that the teacher is teaching correctly.  Then I can only notice something, the education in Colombia is really mediocre or something happens with that teacher.
Complete the course, get the certificate and go out there and get a decent job. Don't worry if the tutor isn't pushing you to your limits or teaching perfectly as that is not important here. If a certificate will help you get a better job then you do what ever is needed to get that certificate.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

I took a class in COBOL (this was a while back), and the notes and examples didn't work. I questioned them and was told 'they do - just follow the notes.'

I didn't. I went and got a book on COBOL, taught myself and completed the tests.

Guess what? I was the FIRST person to EVER to complete the course. it had been running for at least 10 years. I complained to my course head. And got an extra credit for ignoring the teacher and finding out myself that was wrong!

Rick Nasher

The important thing is not to be discouraged, just swallow your pride and do what they'll like in class and what it takes to finish the course.

An ICT teacher(of all people, and he was one of the better) once said to me:
"Those who are really good at it, go out and make a career, earn lots of money. Those who can't, become teachers.." ;D

Which makes sense, in general.

Like people said before: it's all about getting the paper. You'll probably pick up a few things you wouldn't have other wise and in the end of it got a nice paper in your hand you can wave at employers so they will hire you.

See it as a drivers license: lots of stuff they'll teach and force you to do before you can pass the exam, you will never ever use like that in reality (around here at least).

Derron

Not all people start at the same level.

If you start a study in a subject you know a bit about, then of course you _might_ know more than some other students - but I am pretty sure that there are people around who know even _more_ than you. Do they laugh at you too?

If you know _nothing_ about a subject than you are more than happy if people explain you things in a very "basic" way so you have a grasp of it in that moment. It does not help you if they explain everything in the absolute correct way.

Guess what you will think once someone teaches you that you can do sqr(-1) or that "x^2 + 1 = 0" is a solveable equation. It all depends on the level of what is to teach. And in your first programming lessons you are surely told a bit about "programming languages differ to normal spoken languages", "logic" and a "grammar" which has nothing to do with the "grammar" in a spoken language.

I am pretty sure that in a later stage you are able to use your own knowledge to solve certain tasks they give you ... and you might even do it in a more efficient way than the others who use what they got taught.
Later they wont say: "use a while loop to sum up all numbers from 0 to 100" - they just tell you to "sum up numbers from 0 to 100". It is then up to you to do it line by line (1 + 2 + 3 ...) or use a while loop (while i < 100...) or even a simple for loop (for i=1 to 100).
They only explain you a hand ful of potential ways - the basics (while, repeat, for). They might even explain you a bit of OOP (car.wheelsAmount, car.StartMotor()).

In your English course: do you already start writing interpretations of Shakespeare? I think you start with "Hello, my name is Yue and I am 102 years old."

bye
Ron

Yue

Literally, the man dictated the class by saying java script was not a programming language.  And he says that when you launch the browser you compile, when this is not true, Java script is an interpreted language.  I don't know what to think. The problem is that if you don't play along you'll have bad grades, and on the other hand how others are supposed to learn.

About English, the teacher between speaking English and is speaking English, we have seen the alphabet, professions and nationalities, I am also a little more advanced because I have resumed my course with the rosta stone program, which I think is great for my way of learning.

Already in class I am told the ogre, and that is that nobody likes to be corrected, starting with the teacher who does not have the ability to at least prepare a class.

Naughty Alien

...well..what i think about education(al least majority of it)..it sucks..however, in your particular case, 'paper' is needed, so i will keep down my horses, and get that paper...folks in US/Europe today, after finishing their degree, literally stepping in to world with large debts on their back without been able to monetize that education they went in to debt for..it sucks..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br8n_3x6MDo

Yue

The terrible thing is the fustration, that is, an example, it's as if someone were saying that Blitz3D works with shaders and directX 12 and the api vulcan when in reality it's not like that.

I don't know where all this is going to end, we're supposed to be trained for when we're in work practices, I can't imagine some people saying that java script is not a programming language and the truth is I'm doubting that this has a happy ending.

The O&T is sponsored, and I feel we are just products that nobody cares about and the goal is not to be trained but to end the year by signing assistance so that the campus receives a fair amount of money for each graduate.

The O I T (http://www.ilo.org/global/lang--es/index.htm), everything feels like a business, and I'm just a sheep. But I am going to finish that course, I feel very motivated by some friends of this community who have collaborated with me.

ENAY

Dude, way back in 1998, my first University degree in games programming. The guy was trying to teach us java, and the web links to his OWN java lecture. During the lecture he tried to open his OWN web links but they kept coming up as an error, because the idiot had them as instead of http:\\ of http://
It's just that his browser at home had auto corrected them for him and they just wouldn't load at the Uni. We had to tell him and TEACH him what HE had done wrong.
So yeah I had to pay tuition to tell all our lecturers what was wrong with their code.

The lecture notes were awful, or had basically just been copy and pasted out of notes. Ask any question and the guy would just say "Oh, good question, I'll take a look into it and tell you next lecture".

Those that can, do, those that can't, teach.

I have two degrees in games programming and in the first one, the students knew more than the lecturers. Programming is like tinkering with a car, you can not be taught it, even if these people knew what they were doing.

The same lecturer who had his slashes wrong way round also told us that java and java script were similiar. Clearly he thought that just because he looked at the names and made an assumption.

GaborD

Yeah, guess we all had these experiences.
I remember back in the day our multimedia professor told us the internet is just a fad and will soon be forgotten. :o
He also had no clue of any web technologies and we had to basically lecture him.

I agree it is frustrating to have bad lecturers, especially when you are motivated to learn and they just hold you up.

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: Yue on December 04, 2017, 00:21:01
Literally, the man dictated the class by saying java script was not a programming language.  And he says that when you launch the browser you compile, when this is not true, Java script is an interpreted language.

Hmm...maybe they meant that it's compiled at run time into an intermediate bytecode and then a bytecode interpreter virtual machine runs that. Because that's what happens nowadays. In the past it was just interpreted with no intermediate representation, but now it's actually compiled before interpretation.

Whatever the case, I dropped out of college because I became annoyed at the number of times I had to correct teachers. It led me to believe nothing they were saying was trustworthy. Especially that bold, "Javascript is Java for the internet," statement that I just can't get out of my mind. On top of that the education system is just one large factory where you go in and have anything unique about you removed and replaced with robotic parts. The even worse offense than that, is how unrealistic the teaching is. It almost never covers real world anything. Making most of it useless outside of school. The fact that people could exit a programming class with an A or B and not know how to use a for-loop or recursive-loop, is very problematic in my opinion. If something changes one day, I would welcome it with open arms.

Quote from: Rick Nasher on December 03, 2017, 09:08:30
An ICT teacher(of all people, and he was one of the better) once said to me:
"Those who are really good at it, go out and make a career, earn lots of money. Those who can't, become teachers.." ;D

My dad told me the same quote and that it was from a teacher as well. I'm guessing that quote has been passed around quite a bit. That or several people realized it, being that it's a somewhat obvious stance to take.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

ENAY

From my own experience (from life in general)

Those that boast, usually aren't all that good, they just think they are. The people that are shit hot in their field are too busy doing their magic, and when spoken too, are reserved and always saying "Oh I'm not that good".

It's a brilliant ploy.

Goodlookinguy

Quote from: ENAY on December 05, 2017, 02:25:54
From my own experience (from life in general)

Those that boast, usually aren't all that good, they just think they are. The people that are shit hot in their field are too busy doing their magic, and when spoken too, are reserved and always saying "Oh I'm not that good".

It's a brilliant ploy.

Linus Torvalds would disagree. He spouts his mouth off as if he is the God of software development. Just recently he got into a fight with security programmers, bad mouthing them. What I do think is that usually, to some degree, people in a field overtime develop egos for said field. They end up spouting things off when back talked sometimes because they might've been through the same conversation a dozen times before. I think it's a sort of natural human thing, especially for competitive or short-tempered personalities.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Yue

I don't consider myself brilliant, far from it, I would only expect more professionalism on the part of a teacher, for example to prepare a class, to transmit that knowledge with solid foundations. Do not improvise with your cell phone in your hand.

In the end, I go for a certificate, the fact is that the agreements are with canada, Spain, Argentina and other countries and I doubt that anyone in a serious company working with these guys who assume that the teacher is right.

Kind regards.