AGK2 questions

Started by GaborD, December 02, 2017, 18:23:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

Quote from: GaborD on December 04, 2017, 01:03:23
Hi! Great to see you both!

I am willing to try anything until I find my "NB2"  :P
I was so sad when the C3D team fell apart, it was right on track to being exactly that. I had the shader and lighting things all finished for it too.

Will check out OpenB3D for sure. I used Blitzmax back in the day, but that was when we didn't have a decent 3D option for it.

AGK is fun so far, but with tier one usage seems to have some severe limitations.
And tier2 would mean C++, which defies the point of using such a "simple" engine/language.

...personally, i would love you to pick on OpenB3D as its actively worked on and its open source as well as BMX, so community here is 'oldtimers' who will not quit.. :) .. to pump up OpenB3D with your shader skills will be mind blowing.. :) Do it man..

GaborD

@Yue:
:) Those look great indeed!
A dissolve effect shouldn't be hard to add.

@Naughty Alien:
Definitely going to take a look at it. Could be a great option if it provides the basics and we can add on top.

Added a view-vector based HDR skybox in AGK and commented out the realtime light and tested the IBL diffuse lighting from the reflection probe instead.

iWasAdam

oooh, very impressive. Kudos to you  :P

I've got low poly rendering down, but anything else is not so good at the moment. but really interested in the view based HDR and PBR lighting you just shown

GaborD

It's just the standard metallic-workflow-PBR with custom reflection probes, but it gets the job done :)

I fired up my old C3D test scene in AGK to see if it can handle it. Initially had my doubts due to no DDS support (4x VMEM usage, yikes!) and it seems also no mipmapping support (constantly fetching from the fullsize textures surely costs a ton of speed), but.. it actually runs quite well.
Admittedly, no AA implemented so far, so that helps speed-wise :)

Here are some shots, mostly ACES tonemapping and some weirdo LUTs for color grading. Because why not.
Excuse the mess, the scene is just some random Megascans models thrown onto a big pile. I was too lazy to rebuild it in a more organized fashion.

Qube

Quotealso no mipmapping support
AGK does have mipmapping commands. Unless you mean it doesn't work in conjunction with your shaders?

Very very nice indeed.... When can we expect multiple demo source code examples so I can pinch the shaders? ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rick Nasher

Indeed, what Qube said. Looking awesome, warp-factor 9!

rickv

Hi GaborD,

I'm the Product Manager for AppGameKit. It's great to see your sphere screen shot with the shader effects applied. I'm interested to hear your issues with AppGameKit "...seems to have some severe limitations." Please expand on this so we can consider improvements for the future.

If you have specific questions about how the shader system works in AppGamekit then please ask them and I'll get responses from the Lead Developer Paul.

Cheers,

Rick

GaborD

Thanks for the response! It's great that you are actively looking for user feedback. Gives me confidence in the future of AGK.

One big issue off the top of my head is no DDS support.
That alone would add a ton of interesting new opportunities like FP texture data, being able to use preconvoluted HDR reflection probes from CubeMapGen+, etc. Having control of the actual format (DXT1, 3, 5, 8888, FP16, FP32) and mipmapping is a huge plus, not to mention support for cubemaps and volume textures.

Currently I couldn't even give anyone a PBR shader because they have no way to generate the data it needs. (have to use custom 2D RGBA packed data for the GGX convoluted probes I generate in an other engine)
That said, I definitely want to extensively test the rendertex functionality next, maybe it could be leveraged to generate probes in-app, that would be a big step in making AGK jump to the top of the list for me personally.

The speed my first tests achieved was impressive, certainly no issue there. :)

On the shader side, it would be great if the engine could expose things like the binormals. I know we can calculate them in-shader, but it is static data and should only be calculated once, not 10000s of times every refresh.
Not sure if manually precalculating them CPU side and streaming them to a shader is doable with only Tier1 access, I will have to do a deep dive there.
Generally the engines I used just simply provided all matrices and also binormals/tangents to shaders. Makes life easier.

Sorry for the short answer. I will test more extensively soon and give better feedback, very busy with work atm.

GaborD

Just a quick update on this, many of the mentioned issues were only with the older demo version or easily solved (meaning user stupidity on my part).

I rewrote the reflection-probe generation in AGK for easier PBR testing, was time to ditch the old NB stuff. The AGK version gives better results, allows for higher resolution probes and supports both GGX and phong convolution.

So far so good.
Real PBR demo level coming soon. So much modeling, so little time. :)

iWasAdam

it's all looking really, REALLY nice.....

Rick Nasher

Couldn't agree more.  8)

col

Nice test renders GaborD.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."