Care of a laptop.

Started by Yue, November 27, 2017, 15:18:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Yue

What should I consider to care for a laptop battery? and thus prolong its useful life.

Another thing, is it shared memory?

Kippykip

Don't store it in a cupboard for months at 100% or 0%, cause if you do it'll fuck up the battery.
I learnt the hard way.

Goodlookinguy

If I recall correctly, lithium batteries now have hardware to prevent them from reaching 100% which automatically makes them last longer than the old ones.

Do avoid hitting true 0% though.

Edit: By the way, are you asking what shared memory is? If yes, it's memory borrowed by the GPU to allow it to function without it's own separate memory.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

Qube

QuoteWhat should I consider to care for a laptop battery? and thus prolong its useful life.
To add to what's already said... If you plan to leave it turned off for weeks / months then leave it around the 50% charge mark.

If using it daily on battery then try and only charge when it reaches under 10% battery. If you find yourself using it via the PSU mostly then aim to use it on battery once per week to under 10% followed by a full recharge.

The above is what I've done with my MacBook's over the years and never had any issues with battery life longevity.

Modern day laptop batteries are pretty good and quite forgiving but if you constantly charge them after 20% / 30% drain then you'll end up with a duff battery far earlier than if you use it properly.

QuoteAnother thing, is it shared memory?
Most laptops do use shared memory, especially the cheaper ones.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pakz

The msi and asus laptops I bought this year are different from the ones I had before. They only start charging when they get below 80% This to make them live longer. With most new laptops I got the battery can not be removed anymore.

The battery from a packard bell laptop I bought in 2011 died after 2 years. This brand is not that good I have read online. I do have a netbook from around that time that still has a working battery.  I do not remember the brand name and I do not have it around here.

TomToad

Packard bell is still in business? My first Windows computer was a Packard bell, waste of money. That was 1995-96 thereabouts.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Rick Nasher

Also a thing to keep track of is keeping the fans free from blockage and dust. I have to disassemble my HP minimum 1x per year due to a design flaw that keeps accumulating dust in the fan/ heatsink.

Keep an eye on temperatures using a tool such as CPUID's HWMonitor.
(see https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html  for a description and the tool download at:
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.33.exe