Does BlitzMax vanilla 1.51 still work on latest OSX/Windows?

Started by GreyAlien, November 18, 2017, 16:10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Yue

Quote from: Pingus on November 22, 2017, 01:21:43
I'm on the same boat as GreyAlien, that's really a concern. I'm glad that something like BlitzmaxNG exist but it's pretty unlikely that it will be 'hit F5 - done'...

I think we worry more than it really deserves.

Pingus

I think we worry more than it really deserves.

:D Nah, I have enough experience with computing stuff to know that we do not worry ever enough ! Well, joke apart the worrying depend on what use you have for a tool that will become obsolete because of external changes. We are like dinosaurs that have to adapt to that damn huge cloud of dust named 'Apple changes for business reasons'.

GreyAlien

Yeah it's annoying AF. Apple already removed all my older 32-bit games from their mobile store even though they were still making money. I couldn't update them as they were ported by someone else to Unity several years ago as updating Unity (and various plugins) would have totally broken them probably and taken ages and simply not been worth it.

MagosDomina

Quote from: Kippykip on November 18, 2017, 21:27:15
I believe it works fine, even Blitz3D works alright unless you're on Windows 8 (30FPS cap), although it works in Windows 10

This was not an issue with Blitz itself but an oversight by Microsoft, because anything DX7 based had this similar issue. Long since fixed by the community.

GreyAlien

An update that I had to get a new Macbook Air as the old one from 2012 finally bit the dust. The new one is running High Sierra and I downloaded BlitzMax 1.51 (and the command line tools) and was able to compile and run Shadowhand fine. Shadowhand is a big and pretty complex game so it's good news it works OK.

I do have ONE problem which is hide mouse no longer seems to be working. I'll make a new thread.