Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

TomToad

I think I'm making this a bit too tough.  Trying to make a game similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b7x30_E0Ko
But so far, all I have is this test room from inside a house, and it is about as ugly as you can get.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

iWasAdam

@Rooster
The palette you supplied might be enhanced a bit giving you more colors to play with.
E.G.
- the reds are virtually the same. a suggestion here would be to make one of them more orange
- you fade the white and black giving one grey and 2 blacks, suggest a slight change to give you 2 greys.
- tweaked the dark green slightly to give you more tonal version that should be great ;)

Here's the modified palette for you to look at:

There is color fringing at the edges of the colors, so use the base...

iWasAdam

muruba

Damn I hate GUI!!!! On the verge of giving up...

Rooster

@iWasAdam
My color palette was mostly thrown together, although somethings were intentional (the navy blue).
I also have started doing art with it, so it would be a bit of a pain to change it now. :P
Although I am liking that green, and I don't think I've used dark green in anything yet.

Qube

Houston we have a problem...

Over the last couple of days I started doing the graphics for my game and.... I can't do pixel art :o - The last time I did pixel art stuff was 20+ years ago and that was just very basic animations in the vein of Space Invaders / PacMan type stuff. Everything I try just looks complete shite :'(

I think over the weekend I'll have to gorge on tutorials, try crap loads of stuff and hopefully come out the other end with a tad more pixel art ability  ::)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

todays pic is called bubbly!!!

Pity you can't interact with it...

Derron

@ qube

There isn't much space for details, so just simulate them. Instead of a button you end up using a bright-color-pixel. Instead of having fingers you have 3 pixels of skin tone and one pixel of brown and the likes. Just look at how others do pixel-art-sprites. Create similar things and you will see what they use to simulate certain effects.

Of course it helps to run these things on a blurry CRT instead of pixel-crisp LCD/LED displays.

@ Adam
looks good so far. Make sure the bubble looks ok on _other_ backgrounds. In my game I already thought about that part and am creating different sprites so I can mix according to the used background.

Did you play with emphasizing the border of the "brownish wall" ? So that the darker side of the tile becomes another bit darker (perceived).

Wasn't able to do much the last days (real work to do ;-)):

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

ooh. I like the concept muruba. It says 4 people. how about a graphic for each one to show them moving around?

Steve Elliott

When scaling up images in AGK they get smoothed, which replicates the CRT blurring of the original retro games.

But you know what?  I prefer the pixelated look, to the more authentic soft look.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

muruba

Quote from: iWasAdam on November 25, 2017, 11:40:15
ooh. I like the concept muruba. It says 4 people. how about a graphic for each one to show them moving around?

Thanks mate, yeah thought doing it for the wild animals (like sheep in warcraft 2) but people... especially when no roads/infrastructure is available sounds good :)

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron