Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

@Steve Elliott - Photoshop counts 29 colours

I just checked using Photoshop CC and it gives 16 colours.  muruba's shows 16 colours too (but you have to remove the windows title bar).
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

BasicBoy

Not much to see but here's the current WIP of my compo entry.  All graphics (including snow trail!) are placeholders for test purposes.  I've totally messed up the video encoding - not sure what codec I've used for this, but jerky motion and compression artifacts are present in the video:

Scrolling in the actual game is of course smooth, and no compression artifacts!  :)

BasicBoy.
--

iWasAdam

Here's my work in progress:

Looks like we're gonna be collecting fruit? Or maybe not??

Steve Elliott

I'm not sure what to make of that right now, BasicBoy :).  But plough on ;)  Coming along nicely Adam.

I'll probably just submit a non shader version for the comp and then add the shader version after the results.

Based on what people have said regards the side effect of increasing colours and resolution, I say we don't allow them.  On the basis they break the rules of the competition.

After the comp we can upload a 'shader upgrade' version.  That's what I'm planning on doing.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

QuoteBased on what people have said regards the side effect of increasing colours and resolution, I say we don't allow them.  On the basis they break the rules of the competition.

After the comp we can upload a 'shader upgrade' version.  That's what I'm planning on doing.
I agree :) - I will leave the shader out but upload a shader version after the comp closes and the votes are all done.

Donation update :

Dabz donated £30 today to the prize fund, cheers buddy ( 1st post updated ).. See I told you he was a cool dude  8)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Dabz

I'm classing it as an entry fee that I'll probably never see again! ;) hehehe

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

therevills

Thanks for the feedback, I was pretty happy with the results of the choppa animation myself.... but it only looks good at low resolutions due to the rotation algorithm being used. If I have time I might look into RotSprite algorithm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling#RotSprite

Or bite the bullet and draw the chopper at different angles...  :o

Edit: Actually its not that bad, I was messing with a CRT shader and it made it look worse than it was, so my shader needs more work (I have no idea what I am doing with shaders  :P)

The other entries are looking great too! Keep it up guys!

Steve Elliott

The other entries are looking great too! Keep it up guys!

I agree.  The retards are doing well ;)
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

therevills

What are you guys using to record the videos of your games?

BasicBoy

Quote from: therevills on November 22, 2017, 22:10:29
What are you guys using to record the videos of your games?

A recently-registered version of Bandicam. I liked the free (time-limited) version, so I bought the full version. However, the brief video I made which I linked to earlier in this thread must have been encoded with a lossy codec (I currently don't know which one), but next time I'll be sure to use lossless encoding.

Dabz

Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Rooster

Lots of good looking stuff going on here you guys. ;)

I finally got around to doing some work on my game today beyond tests.
And since everyone else seems to be doing it, I'll post my palette too. ;D

Qube

QuoteI'm pressing Win+G in Windows 10...
Is the "G" for create Game? :P

I've two more pieces of music to create and then I'll start on my game... I know, I work backwards and arse about face but doing the music first lets me dream up the game.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

Music first  :P
I just loaded up my chip synth and got no sound, so had to start digging into code to see what I've buggered up!!  :'(

Derron

Quote from: Qube on November 23, 2017, 06:21:07
Is the "G" for create Game? :P

Are you kidding? The "G" stands for "generate game". Seems only noobs lurk around here... tzetze ;-)

I first wanted to show some pix' too but afte your advanced ones I am back at the sketch table and will try to make it less "early 80s". C64 palette just was a bit dull for what I planned to do. Also DB16 is a bit dull but a bit better. Theme will be "Santa versus Magma Dwarves". I am trying "Grafx2" this time but it is... really hard to use once you are used to Photoshop or other more modern "gui'd" toolsets. Only good thing is the "sieve" filter and the indexed-palette-approach (which is a curse too...) - also its old GUI is really inconvenient for working directories with a multitude of "depth" (click click click). Layer management is uhm... improveable, copy/paste you have to get used to (copy as brush, paint, set old brush again).

Original sprite was painted using my drawing board in PS CS1 but then recolored in Grafx2.

I just had a look how "todays retro pixel games" look and they exagerate the head, have 3px for each feet and floating hands. Yes, this eases animation and I will try if I create such a thing instead. Still fiddling around how to create stoney-magmaish sprites with that color palette. It gets even harder if you know that people play this at 4*res, unfiltered and "unsmoothed"/"unblurried" - because then your faux-color-effects wont work anymore.

GFX creation is way harder here for me than just 3d modelling santa, rendering it out on a sleigh and create some glowing stone-magma-thing. Restriction is not always making things easier - at least for me. In 3D I can adjust a proportion easily, here I have to repaint everything. Huge time killer.