Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

I think/feel that it is more satisfying to finish a simple but functional fun mini game than to work on never ending projects...

Congrats to all those who finished a (mini) game!

Dwapook

Aye! Grats to those who finished! I was working on an old Zelda style game but I didn't start until after the deadline got extended and was too busy and worn out to push myself to get it finished in time..  I'm gonna try to stop being so last minute with this stuff! >.>;;

iWasAdam

it's gonna be a busy day for me then :)
Congrats to all who have finished anything - in whatever state. You are all my heroes...

@Qube - how is the voting going to happen? best in show, best graphics, best soup dragon, etc?

Qube

Added a showcase entry for my game - https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3994.0.html

@therevills - Thanks for that handy post. Oo er, I didn't think there was that many entries :o - Great stuff. I know what I'll be playing today ;D

Quote@Qube - how is the voting going to happen? best in show, best graphics, best soup dragon, etc?
A voting thread will be created either today or tomorrow ( I'm zonked at the moment ).

I'm open to choices on a voting criteria. Would members prefer :

1.. Just vote for your favourite game
2.. Score each game on graphics / sound / music / playability

I will be limiting voting to members who have over 10 posts ( unless they've recently joined up to submit a game ) and also they can't vote for their own entries.

The members of the forum have been voting very well and decently with the comps. I've not seen any clique / block voting going on so I'm happy to go for a simple set of voting rules.

Always open to suggestions though, so if anyone has a super duper system in mind then it would be helpful to build of a set of rules for future comps.

Personal thanks to all who've taken the time to enter the competition. Even if you completed your game or not, I hope you had fun :)

@Steve - I still want my Burger Time pleeeeaaassseeee ;D ( if ya feeling better now then get them keys a tappin )
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

round157

I don't know whether there will be the 4th competition organized in this forum. However, among the first three competitions, the 3rd competition(retro style game) is the most successful competition. Yes, very successful! There are 48 pages of discussions in this main thread. This is a world record!
:)   ;)

freeman69

Quote from: TomToad on January 20, 2018, 19:40:57
Quote from: freeman69 on January 20, 2018, 11:40:17
Alien Drop Pods is a 3D game that uses basic principles to draw objects using triangles facing the player. The drawing routine also determines if the cross-hairs (graphics origin) is within any triangle drawn.
The old BBC Micro character set is reproduced through internally data-defined/created bitmaps (i.e. not loaded from a file).

Couldn't get this to work.  No window opens, no error, just simply nothing.

Hi Tom. Frustrating when there are unknown compatibility issues! I know it works on Windows 7, even '98 (just about), and on the desktop-within-a-desktop at work. Are you using Wine (although I would expect it to work under that too)?
Rob

P.S. about the cursor keys - I find I need separate hands for controlling movement in 2 directions, especially for fine control and speed. I'll look at allowing the keys to be redefined next time though.

Steve Elliott

@Steve - I still want my Burger Time pleeeeaaassseeee ;D ( if ya feeling better now then get them keys a tappin )

lol yes Burger Time will be completed  ;D
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

col

Some really cool entries!
I know what I'll be doing for the next days ;)

Those that entered should be very proud of themselves indeed - we all know the true level of commitment in finishing the development of a game.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

RemiD

@Qube>>since i submitted an entry for the competition, i want to contribute (a little) to the prize fund, is it still possible ?
If yes, how can i do that (with Paypal)
Is it : Tools>>Send Money>>Send Money to friends and family ?

I typed your email address ( qube@syntaxbomb.com ), specified the amount and clicked the send button. No i will pray that it works ;D

Derron

If you send it to a "non-paypal-email" then the receiving email gets a notice about "incoming money". You then click on the link in there - and on login to paypal you are able to "connect" this email to your real paypal-email. So as long as Qube receives the mail he should be able to receive the money ;-)

As the competition is now finished I would say we plan the next - huhumm? As suggested by so many (read: me) I would enjoy a (economical) simulation or strategy thing. Even a kind of "digital board game" might be of interest (but AI gets harder there - as it has to exist - if it is no single-player-game).

@ Qube
Hope this time you find some free minutes to write "hall of competition fame"-page listing competitors, winners, ... means an additional spot for information about the games (hi google!).

bye
Ron

Scaremonger

The turn out for this was impressive and is obvious that you guys have put in huge amounts of your time, but now we've all got the hardest part to work on!

How to choose who to vote for?

col

QuoteHow to choose who to vote for?
Qube will create a proper, separate and organised 'voting thread' either today or the next day or 2.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Scaremonger

Quote from: col on January 21, 2018, 12:35:34
Qube will create a proper, separate and organised 'voting thread' either today or the next day or 2.

Still going to be difficult to decide who gets my vote though. The games are all so good!

RemiD

Some suggestions to better spread the votes :
->a participant can only vote for another participant (and can not vote for himself)
->maybe allow 2 votes per member (instead of 1), so that there is less "friendship" involved and more "i like what you have made" ( not necessarily but maybe :-\ )