Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

@Qube>>simple but funny animations  :)

@BasicBoy>>intriguing gameplay, i am curious

I hope to finish my game in time, but i still have a lot to do... tic tac tic tac tic tac
youtube.com/watch?v=f5qICl3Fr3w&t=01m38s

Scaremonger

Quote from: Conjured Entertainment on January 16, 2018, 21:46:58
If I run out of time, then I guess I will have to make the last level unbeatable, and convince people they need to try harder to get to the boss.  ;D
I multiplied the level by a random number and generated that many enemies in my initial code with the intent of crafting the levels later. I'm not going to get time to do that crafting, but the current way makes the game stupidly difficult after about level 6! ;)

Quote from: Conjured Entertainment on January 16, 2018, 21:46:58
I really like that silhouette of the city in the background.

They can really save time, yet still have a great effect.

I really like your gradient effect for the sky too. (very clever method used to comply with the color restriction)
:) Thanks. That gradient was drawn by hand because I couldn't find an algorithm to draw one I was happy with.

Quote from: 3DzForMe on January 17, 2018, 00:46:17
I suspect I may not be in the running for a win... but I hope to submit my entre' sometime today ;)
I joined in for the fun and not the prize (which looking at the other entries it's just as well), but I'm looking forward to playing all the entries this weekend.

Quote from: RemiD on January 17, 2018, 07:29:31
I hope to finish my game in time, but i still have a lot to do... tic tac tic tac tic tac
I've disabled several parts of my code because I simply don't have time to get them working the way I wanted. I've implemented replaceable weapons via powerups for example, but it's buggy. Unlikely it will be seen along with two other enemies and an online High Score system. Maybe I'll finish it at some later date.

Steve Elliott

I won't make the competition deadline because I've been far too ill (and still am ill even now).

When I'm up to it I'll complete the game though.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

Even for a "mini" game, the amount of time/energy it takes to make it is incredible ! ???

"ideas are easy, implementation can be difficult"

I've disabled several parts of my code because I simply don't have time to get them working the way I wanted.
well, the problem i have at the moment is that my whole game is disabled ;D, and it takes a lot of time to merge all my codes in one functional coherent program !

STEVIE G

Quote from: RemiD on January 17, 2018, 15:34:47
Even for a "mini" game, the amount of time/energy it takes to make it is incredible ! ???

"ideas are easy, implementation can be difficult"

I've disabled several parts of my code because I simply don't have time to get them working the way I wanted.
well, the problem i have at the moment is that my whole game is disabled ;D, and it takes a lot of time to merge all my codes in one functional coherent program !

Can't agree more.  I'm at the point that I've done everything I can.  Doing the graphics and general gameplay was fun but the rest was a bit of a chore.  Some parts I'm not happy with, some are hacky and some features weren't added due to time.  I think anyone who has a working game deserves a lot of credit.

Looking forward to playing all the entries over the weekend  :P 

Qube

Spent an hour getting a retro loader screen done tonight. Including the first tune I knocked up using free synth VST's of the web. Must say it's great fun doing synth music. Sure I could of grabbed better free tunes off the web but where's the fun in that :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6sc14on8do
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

therevills

Quote from: Qube on January 18, 2018, 00:07:36
Spent an hour getting a retro loader screen done tonight.

Haha! Great job! :)

Wish you havent shown it though as I might have to add one too!  :P

Can you skip it or does your game take that long to load?  ;D

Qube

QuoteWish you havent shown it though as I might have to add one too!  :P
You should ;D

QuoteCan you skip it or does your game take that long to load?  ;D
LOL, just press ESC to bypass straight to the game. There's no way I'd force a loader each time the game was run. It's just you gotta have a retro intro for retro games :P
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

QuoteIncluding the first tune I knocked up using free synth VST's of the web. Must say it's great fun doing synth music.
Whaaaat! You mean you used hi-res synth-style audio compiled down to a playable audio file... How quaint!  :-*
I had to write a retro chip-synth emulator for the sound and a sequencer and realtime chip-synth tracker to get mine.... Bugger!

iWasAdam

That's it. I'm done!
I present to you:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/syntaxbomb

Full on Retro action in 320x200 16 colors with chip-synth emulation for Windows and Mac OS.

Guide little Syntax round each level but DO NOT hit that BOMB!

RemiD

I am not a religious person, but when a program that i make reaches a certain level of complexity, i start to pray the diety of programminglanguage/compiler  (of Blitz3d in my case) that everything works well when i run it  ;D

Derron

@ Adam
Tried your game with WINE (Linux) and it works. Was not sure if sound worked properly as on startup I only had some single "blips" and "blops". But during game it works - I assume flawlessly.

I only had some really short break to try it out - so for now I would do the nitpicking (as you still got a bit of time to even improve).

- score points (the one moving up after collecting) seem to move "non smooth" - they have a "move, nothing, move, move, move, nothing, move,..." style of movement pattern. Do you use floats for positions? If so, consider doing the "int(floatvalue + 0.5)" rounding rather than a simple "int(floatvalue)" (which is a floor(v)-like-approach).
Maybe it happened because of the resized window

(PS: I show it in the first level to not expose other level themes)

- strawberry seems to have some gray pixels too much (have a look at the bottom right - it looks like it misses transparency or so). Is this intented (as it looks ok on the blueish ground - but not on the ladder)

- I am able to place bombs when on the ladder, so far ok, sometimes it places it about "1.5 times the player" far away on the ground. Is this a glitch or intented?

- parallax background is a nice idea but in my opinion it moves "too fast" (if it was pretty near to the front tiles it should move less often  - but may be it looked way less smooth then...)

- bubbles in second level seem to be drawn 2 times (one wide and one tall on the same position) but might also have been bad timing with 2 bubbles being spit out at the same time)

Aside of that: it looks pretty impressive and plays very snappy. Very good job. Maybe you are able to add a little online highscore (nothing fancy, just pushing your score online, fetching it from there too).

Edit: LOL... I tried to record a video here (see above) while you already have uploaded an animated screen pretty exposing the same "flaw". Dunno why mine is so blurred while the game itself of course isn't.

PS: Maybe one should consider using "dissolve" as fading-out effect for the scores or other "soon gone" items. Of course I do not know how to do that in realtime without much efforts - so it would have to be done on startup (just iterate 10 times: copy previous iteration image, set random pixels transparent - aka "unset them". And then use the generated image as animation frames on "death"). Hmm, sounds like a doable thing.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

So, do we have until the witching hour GMT, or are we accommodating the Americans which don't reach the 19th until noon on the 19th.?not that it'll make much difference to my submission ;) if I can get an installation script done.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

QuoteWhaaaat! You mean you used hi-res synth-style audio compiled down to a playable audio file... How quaint!  :-*
I think you'll find most sensible people do it that way ;D

QuoteI had to write a retro chip-synth emulator for the sound and a sequencer and realtime chip-synth tracker to get mine.... Bugger!
You "HAD" too did you? did you really? :P

QuoteThat's it. I'm done!
I present to you:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/syntaxbomb
Yay, a Mac version.. Will have a play this evening :)

Quoteso for now I would do the nitpicking (as you still got a bit of time to even improve).
Captain nit-pick strikes again :P - I would nit-pick yours but.... there isn't one ;D

Until the next time.

Derron

You can always nit-pick at TVTower (there is plenty to improve). Developers tend to see other things than "normal" players (which can be good and bad at the same time).
Like said I am really glad to have stopped compo-development as entries are looking far superior to mine.

PS: I would have used an ogg audio file too - it's like I prefer to use Max2D rather than writing my own OpenGL stuff. Convenience and time saver.

I am pretty much looking forward to Qube's game (really vibrant), therevills' game (army arcade ... darker themed colors) and maybe even the game of our "last compo hero" basicboy - as it really reminded me on some kind of micro machines in the sense of "micro santa sleigh-machines". And I really hope there are some users hiding their projects until 20th of january. City simulator ?

...hmm simulator. Maybe next game compo could have a "main genre" as limit. I would like to do a very small simulation game (oil imperium, dynatech, some text-based games like "Der Winzer", Sim City (classic), A-Train (one of my fav's in the early ninetees, next to Civ - and pretty expensive, 129 DM at that time) ...). I know many of you are preferring arcade games, but I am more interested in the strategy, simulation stuff.

bye
Ron