Code a game competition Nov-Jan 2018 - Minimum £500 prize fund

Started by Qube, November 15, 2017, 04:44:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

QuoteQube apologies for the plug and link
Is you takin da piss :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

You talking to me? I'm feeling seriously focussed right now... Lavate Las Manos...

Animated text - check...

Conjured Entertainment

QuoteIf you are mostly interested in making 2d games (and therefore you only need images/textures), i suggest that you buy an android/ios tablet with a dedicated pen.
I have drawn/painted the mountains/statues/rocks/plants in my game using "photoshop touch" on an android tablet with a dedicated pen. It is easy and quite precise to draw this way.
Then you have to do some "clean up" using another image editor to remove some unwanted pixels and make sure only wanted colors are used (for this competition only), and also position the image appropriately in a power of 2 texture area (if you need textures... for sprites/quads)
And since you use a tablet, you can be anywhere, you don't need to stay near your desktop computer...

I mix 2d and 3d, and I already have the tools like fragMOTION and Paint.NET

It is a matter of being born with artistic talent vs. working hard to develop skills. (I lack the natural talent and am very slow at developing the skills)

I don't usually do my graphics by drawing in code, it is just something I am doing for the contest, since a lot of the retro stuff back in the day was done that way. (but a lot better than mine of course)

iWasAdam

start with something you feel comfortable with and work from there.

I find the best way to start is with an idea and cubes! then do a mini test and work from there. cubes is a great place to begin with collision, etc. use them as a placeholder and drop graphics (lamination can come later, etc) in when you feel the need...

Don't be afraid to ask for help as well - even if you don't get it, you might get ideas and support
:)

RemiD

It is a matter of being born with artistic talent vs. working hard to develop skills
for 2d (drawings/paintings), you can use an innate talent to make something nice, but for 3d it is much more difficult to make something nice if you don't have enough understanding/skills of modeling/uvmapping/rigging/skinning...

However keep in mind that there are several methods to achieve a result, and that if you are not interested in making high details realistic graphics, i know a method to quickly modelize/uvmap/texture a 3d shape by modeling it depending on the drawing. (weird isn't it ? i have seen this method on the Anim8or forum)

Anyway !

Conjured Entertainment

Another day, another couple hundred lines of code.

Lasers, and missiles, and collisions, oh my!

Almost done with this level, just need to count the damage to take a life when the need arises.

Right now it's all about points, and you can see that a bump into a UFO can cause a nice metal scrape in point damage.

iWasAdam

it's a pity you aren't using a more open codec. WMV can only be viewed on windows

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on January 13, 2018, 07:04:36
it's a pity you aren't using a more open codec. WMV can only be viewed on windows
VLC Media Player \o/ - Plays WMV files pretty good. I do find that 1080p+ / high bitrate WMV files only play in Windows perfectly though. Same with MOV files on OS X. VLC will play them but as soon as you go full on HD / 4K then only QuickTime Player will do the trick. Not a huge fan of WMV or MOV formats and prefer MP4 / MKV.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

Todays update is...
Testing is now finished (I think)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Compiled for windows and macOS and everything went flawlessly with the same files!
MMMM Need to get an icon now...

Qube

QuoteTesting is now finished (I think)!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cor, good on ya if you are at the final testing stage  8)

Just before Christmas I had a shed load of work pile in which ground my game to a compete stop  :'( - Here we are, 7 days left to finish it off and I honestly do not know if it's going to be possible. I'm cutting every corner possible and outputting some really dodgy code / work arounds.

7 days left, two appointments next week which suck up most of the day + what ever comes through from clients as "critical, must be done now etc etc". I could do with a month left, not a week :P. Ah well, lets see what happens. Minimal sleep and go for it :P

Until the next time.

ahuang

Quote from: Conjured Entertainment on January 12, 2018, 22:21:22
Another day, another couple hundred lines of code.

Lasers, and missiles, and collisions, oh my!

Almost done with this level, just need to count the damage to take a life when the need arises.

Right now it's all about points, and you can see that a bump into a UFO can cause a nice metal scrape in point damage.

would be nice to see the UFO's explode though :)

3DzForMe

Can I get explosions in AND a UFO.....? anythings possible... 5 days to go
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

ahuang

Quote from: 3DzForMe on January 13, 2018, 09:37:44
Can I get explosions in AND a UFO.....? anythings possible... 5 days to go

5 days? i thought it was a week left?

RemiD

8 days left (a little less, starting from today)

I am working on the boring stuff : managing the different states (sections) of the program, merging all my codes together, testing / debugging / fixing / improving...

Then i will have to create a few more drawings, then tweak the images to have textures, then tweak the gain / volume of sounds, then check that there are only 16colors total in the renders, then it should be finished. (even if i have decided to not add all the things / gameplay mechanics that i wanted, but hey, it's better to have something simplified and functional than nothing...)

STEVIE G

Did all the boring crap (menu's /sounds / music and game flow) a few weeks back and have been adding and tweaking since.  Now have 12 tracks (last one below).  Had a good 2 player test last week and have organised another later today.  Hopefully just a few minor tweaks / balancing and I'm good to go  :D