Live chat - Now ready for alpha testing

Started by Qube, November 11, 2017, 18:50:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

..chat should be open in separate window, or integrated to forum so one can chat and browse forum at same time..

Dabz

Yep... That session expire thing is a git... I was just in the middle of a conversion with TomToad conversing on how bone idle we are when off work and poof... I was gone... And so was he! :D

;)

Couple of other things... A bit of conversion history would be nice when you go in, and TT mentioned a mute button for the noise's

Dabz
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

TomToad

Seems chat is knocking me off after 10 minutes whether I am actively typing or not.  Would be nice if instead of a tone, the tab changes color, or flashes when there is a post and you were on another tab.
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Qube

I'll be adding a login to the chat to control session time-outs. You'll just have to login with your forum details and then all should be OK.

QuoteCouple of other things... A bit of conversion history would be nice when you go in, and TT mentioned a mute button for the noise's
Easy to add in and will do that :)

QuoteWould be nice if instead of a tone, the tab changes color, or flashes when there is a post and you were on another tab.
There is going to be boing boing noises to alert you to new posts ( which you can turn off ). I'll see what can be done in regards to none obtrusive visual alerts.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Rooster

The chat hasn't been letting me post since around yesterday.
I've been going in to it when the front page says someone is in chat, but in the chat room it's not showing anyone as being in.

I've also noticed that even after I close the chat page tab, the front page will still show me as being in the chat room.
I don't know if I've just gotten unlucky, and have been going in after people left but are still show as being on?

Qube

Just tested it and it's still working fine. What browser are you using as I've only tested it in Safari and Chrome.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Rooster

I'm using Pale Moon.
It was originally based on Firefox, but has since gone it's own way from what I understand.

I'll try it from Firefox, and see if that works.

Rooster

Okay Firefox was working, so it looks like it's my browser. :(
And for the record it was working before.

Qube

It might be because I recoded the javascript side to use asynchronous calls to stop the sticky input box.

Until the next time.

Flanker

Just a little bump to say that the "+" character doesn't work in the chat.
Anyway, good work so far ;)
Everyone knew it was impossible, until someone who didn't know made it.

Qube

QuoteJust a little bump to say that the "+" character doesn't work in the chat.
Blimey, I just typed 1 + 2 = 3 and it took out the + sign. How stupid is that :P - There is nothing in the sanitising code to remove a + sign. Yet they still vanish.

Ah well, something to fix today :) - Thanks for pointing that out. Now where's the ban button

Until the next time.

TomToad

It might be that + has a special meaning, either in Javascript or in the underlying network code. Possibly escape the + character.

Javascriptish pseudocode
when sent:
var originalstr = inputtext();
var escapedstr = originalstr.replace("+"."^p");
network.send(escapedstr);

when received:
var receivedstr = network.receive();
var outstr = receivedstr.replace("^p","+");
textbox.add(outstr);
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Derron

Is there a reason for the "^p" rather than using urlencode() and urldecode() which are intended for these things? Maybe your form-encryption is doing some odd stuff?
Why are you requesting a new chat key each second? Isn't that a bit nasty regarding server load/requests-count? These "I am alive and still the same" could be done way less often - and/or before user interaction happens (so check on sending a new line rather than periodically).

bye
Ron

Flanker

Quote from: Qube on November 14, 2017, 04:53:44
Now where's the ban button

It's not a button, you have to type "+ban Flanker" :P
Everyone knew it was impossible, until someone who didn't know made it.

Qube

QuoteIt's not a button, you have to type "+ban Flanker" :P
Great idea, I'll add that in so any user in chat can boot you out \o/ ;D

Until the next time.