(1/11) > >>

Qube:
I've finally got the live chat module to an early working alpha stage \o/

URL : http://www.syntaxbomb.com/sbChat.php

Current features :

You can chat in real time ( obviously )
All BB code smilies work the same as they do on the forum
bold, italic, underline are the same BB codes as the forum
Youtube videos work like so {youtube}JoQ4GidQP-k{/youtube} ( change {} to [] )
To quit the chat type /quit or /exit

Stuff to fix / add :

The chat module references the forum database for user information, so if you log out of the forums either on purpose or your session times out you will be logged out of the chat too. So refresh the forum page every 15 minutes or so to keep you live.

I've not added in the BB code to add images yet so at the moment it's just text, smilies and youtube vids that you can post. I will add more goodies in as things progress.

No doubt this fix list will get a lot longer.

Lastly :

I have no idea how this is going to perform / work with multiple users :P - I've never written a PHP / javascript live chat room before and it might explode pretty quickly. The live chat will be a ongoing process but at the moment it's functional, I think.

* edit * - I've only tested it in Chrome and Safari.

Please post bugs and any feature requests here :)

Derron:
Date-time-text is smaller than rest but is bottom-aligned to the chat-text, it should either be the same size - or middle-aligned to a single line (or give some top-padding so it aligns similar for multi-line entries).

Keep a history of the last 10 phrases or so - this avoids entering an "empty" chat. And even allow for a kind of "shoutbox"-usage. This would be even better with a "load 10 previous lines"-link (clickable multiple times).

bye
Ron

Qube:

--- Quote ---Date-time-text is smaller than rest but is bottom-aligned to the chat-text, it should either be the same size - or middle-aligned to a single line (or give some top-padding so it aligns similar for multi-line entries).
--- End quote ---
It was meant to be smaller as it was too much being the same size. I will middle align it vertically.

--- Quote ---Keep a history of the last 10 phrases or so - this avoids entering an "empty" chat. And even allow for a kind of "shoutbox"-usage. This would be even better with a "load 10 previous lines"-link (clickable multiple times).
--- End quote ---
That is next on the list of "to-do" whereby when you enter chat X previous posts get loaded up.

Derron:
I would also suggest to have the timestamp this way:

{span title='complete timestamp'}hh:ii:ss{/span} - Most often people chatting together _know_ what day it is - and if you added a "history" people could hover with the mouse to see the day.
Another option is to change color of older days to be even more light gray.

bye
Ron

Qube:
Good ideas Derron, thanks :) - I've changed it now to only show the time. Was a bit excessive to show date and time but both are still logged.

I've also added a who's in live chat on the main portal landing page.

Next step, a history command...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version