Next game competition ideas...

Started by therevills, November 10, 2017, 23:13:13

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

So we've done Halloween and Asterioids, whats next?

* Christmas?
* New Year Eve?
* Platformer
* One Screen Game
* 320x200 resolution
* RPG

and what time frame?

Matty

Selfish answer here:
I'd love a competition to be had that uses my sprites found at:
http://www.mattiesgames.com/assets/

They're all png sprites.

I'd love to see them used and enjoyed in various game styles.

It might encourage me to make more too.

Steve Elliott

Well Christmas is the obvious one, but that doesn't give much time to complete.

Platformer, always liked the genre - and lots of possibilities.

One Screen concentrates the game play.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

BasicBoy

Quote from: Steve Elliott on November 10, 2017, 23:31:54
Platformer, always liked the genre - and lots of possibilities.

I've never made a proper platformer in my whole life! I think the closest I've ever come to doing so was a very old and extra-silly PD game of mine called 'Elevator' way back in 1994: youtube.com/watch?v=_52GU4OEqYI&t=300s

So it would be quite a (welcome) challenge for me.

Incidentally, it would be fairer to Qube if those of us who can afford to chip in, could contribute something to the prize fund? I would never presume, but I think a few of us could chuck in some brass without breaking our banks. No ill-will of course towards those who can't, but I just thought it'd be fairer if some of us did.   

BasicBoy.
--

round157

Hi,

Theme suggestions:

Easter, Valentine's Day or April Fool's Day.

However, April Fool's Day should be better than the other two themes because many people will join because of this strange theme. In addition, very creative games will be made because of this strange theme.
:D

ThickO

And a donate button to help Qube pay for this stuff.
3D makes my head hurt...

Yue

I'd like it in the personal 3D. Best 3d model, best 3d game.

Greetings.

muruba

Can modern cards even go into 320x240 fullscreen?!?!?  :)

I suggest a retro winter theme.

Rick Nasher

I'd prefer a 3d game too,  but I have the feeling I'm not there yet as my universal framework is still 'under construction' :-) which takes up the little time I have.

Getting there slowly but surely.. Perhaps next round.

Derron

Doing 2D in 3D is possible, doing 3D in 2D is not possible. So enforcing 3D is limiting the list of potential participants.

If you enforce a 3D title, then the gameplay should really _need_ the 3D environment. If the same game could be done in 2D there is no need to have it 3D.

I for myself would like to see games with opponents behaving some kind of "smart". Some "AI"-stuff. And no, A-star-pathfinding is _no_ AI. And nope, no need to have neural networks, just talking about the AI weighting things here and there - so it is able to play versus another AI.
This is btw another thing a competition could be about: someone codes a "simple game" and maybe we all create some nifty assets. The competition would then be to provide an AI. The AI could either control the game via Lua (available for many platforms) or a DLL/.so (so other languages should be possible too).

When it comes to games:
- define theme ?
- define game type ?
- define control (direct movement versus indirect movement by just telling the figure "what" it should do - like "build a house")
- define ambience (dark, funny, horror, crazy)

I wanted to do a Tower Defence for ages but never even started one.
Never did a platformer but think there are some among us who are experienced there and would definitely put one together which just says "eat my dust" to us noobs.
Never did a real time strategy game (with multiple units) ... hmmm "Santa versus magma dwarfs" sounds like a "save the gifts from incoming waves of evil magma dwarve hordes" (with "Throw-A-Doll-Towers", "Freezy Elf Traps", ...)
Never did an adult game ... ok strike that, just remembered I did some strip-poker game a decade ago - but might be fun ;-)
Never completed a children game - something very young people could play and it contains something to "learn".
Maybe doing a remake of an arcade game could be fine? I mean the competition master chooses the game and others try to remake (improvements allowed) it.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

@ Derron
Quotedoing 3D in 2D is not possible
not strictly true. You can do any type of 3d in 2d, but you will have to be really good at maths and understand the issues it can present.

To illustrate, here are some (NOT 3D) all done in 2d examples:

Also check out a little known game called Doom. I believe it is NOT 3D either... <grin>

Derron

It is "3d". as you can "rotate" in a 3d environment.

In a 2D game you cannot hide behind a wall and walk "deeper" into the screen until you see the one behind the wall. It is clear to me that you can "render" it 3D but this is not what I was talking about.
In a 2D game you need to jump over an enemy - in a 3D game you could just walk by.

Regarding the screens you posted: it does not matter how you call it - but your engine seems to be a "3D engine" as it allows "free rotation" in all 3 axis (not just 90 Degrees which allows "fake 3D" rotation). Also your screens contain an "isometric view" - without free rotation this is of course doable in 2D only - as it is then just a matter of the perspective used for the game. And no, designing graphics for every possible rotation/view is surely possible but this is not what I would call "3D" either.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

mmm, but NO!
This is 2d, just drawing characters onscreen

this is also 2d. using sprites instead of characters

this is also 2d. using textured shapes as sprites. But with some maths you can make it look like 3d, but it isn't!

if the first image is definitely 2d then the last image is also 2d. as there is NO 3d code, just some maths. the map is the same as the first one, there are just x,y locations.

This 'could' be done in 3d, using 3d models and texturing. that WOULD be 3d, but NOT in this case, there are no 3d models, just some textures and a map.

Another thought for you. is Fez 3d or 2d?

Doom is definitely NOT 3d, it is a 2d map with some clever screen rendering, but it is NOT 3d.

similarly this:

is also not 3d, but uses a more primitive version of using modified sprites and clever graphics to suggest 3d.

and also Diablo 1 and 2 are not 3d:

sooo.... Maybe make a game "IN THE STYLE OF xxxx" << insert a game style.

the line of what is and isn't 2d/2.5d/3d etc is a very blurred one

Steve Elliott

IMO the style of game should be purely up to the individual, and it's the theme that counts.

Having prettier graphics doesn't mean you guarantee a win.  Personally (for me) it's all about game play.  :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Of course I know that Doom is 2D and not 3D - but as said it simulates a "3d world" - which requires a different gameplay.
Fez is also simulating a 3D world.

this is why I gave the example of a jumping run requiring you to jump _over_ an enemy/obstacle. You cannot just move a step to the left or to the right. Turning the world 90° is something similar.

Exception is, if the "obstacle" stays the same and an you just get another "view" to the scenery.

This is why gameplay for a 2D game differs from the gameplay in 3D. 3D _could_ use the gameplay limits of 2D, but 2D cannot use the extended possibilities of 3D. And nope, I am not talking about the presentation ("rendering" of a 3D-world).

game idea (I do not really like that ;-)): Mini golf.
or
game theme: be the bad boy (so you fight the heroes and Prince Charmings)

bye
Ron