Winner of Code a game competition - Aug - Oct 2017 - £500 worth of prizes

Started by Qube, November 10, 2017, 00:10:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Drum roll..... Here are the top three winners in our Code a game competition - Aug - Oct 2017.

1st place and winner of £250 :

Title : Forces Of Darkness
Author : BasicBoy
Link : http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3325.msg8330.html#msg8330

2nd place and winner of £150 :

Title : Trick or Sweets
Author : Derron
Link : http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3325.msg8341.html#msg8341

3rd place and winner of £100 :

Title : Halloween Candy Rescue
Author : Dwapook
Link : http://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,3325.msg8326.html#msg8326

Well done :)

If each winner can PM me their paypal email address I will pretend never to have received it and do a runner with the money ;)

As mentioned in previous posts members now need to organise between themselves who is to be in charge of competitions and dream up what our next one will be.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Dwapook

Congrats to all! o.o; was fun!

We could set up a poll to vote on the next theme? we can post suggestions here and compile them? Uhm.. Or I could probably come up with things if no one else does.. I'm kinda in a rush right now though, at the end of my beak at work.. >.>;;

BasicBoy

Wow, what can I say?  ;D

BAFTA-like acceptance speech coming up...

I'm very pleased to have won (of course!), and I enjoyed taking part. I'd never entered a game-coding contest before.

Thanks to everyone who voted for my entry ;)

Well done to Derron and Dwapook for their fine entries, and too bad therevills wasn't able to finish his 'Night of the Unfed' (great title btw!) because obviously the potential for a fun little game was there. Not everyone had my spare-time advantage.

And very grateful to Qube for this site, setting up the compo & putting up the prize money out of his own pocket. And also for making this an open compo! Any language welcome, which was very generous of him. He could so easily have stipulated something like "BlitzMax & Monkey-X only!"

After a slow start in late August, I was soon coding at breakneck speed (at work during nightshifts), getting a bit over-ambitious at times.

The game's been downloaded to unique IP addresses about 28 times (not including multiple downloads by the same IP addy). I feel that if the game was cross-platform (rather than Windows only), maybe double that number? Hmm, who knows...

Thanks again all, and looking forward to the next compo (even I can't enter myself 'cuz I've just embarked on a 3D game project which will take up too much of my coding time!).

BasicBoy.
--

PS. If anyone's interested, you can activate the cheat mode in Forces Of Darkness by long-pressing Ctrl+Backspace (not Delete!) on the Title Page. You have to keep them pressed down for 4 or 5 seconds and the screen will flash green and there'll be a beep. The cheat mode makes you invincible.  ;D

Yue

Congratulations to all participants.  And to the winners, good work.

Rooster

Steve Elliott

Congratulations to all the winners, well done to the participants and thanks too Qube for this site, the idea of a game competition and supplying the cash prizes.

I myself have decided to stop messing about and really get stuck in to a project of mine, so won't have time for competitions.

Therefore I'd like to put my name forward as in-charge of the competitions (what ever that entails).  I guess Qube would then be able to enter (yay!)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

sphinx

Kind regards,
Maher F. Farag
www.ancientsoft.com
www.osakit.com

Derron

Thanks for your votes and the 2nd place.
Please consider voting me on 1st place next time. Deal?!

As BasicBoy added some download stats:
I got
36 downloads (ignoring the 15 downloads by search engines and the ones by me ;-)) of "at least downloaded one version"
13 downloads for the "competition entry" (v0.1_fixed)
13 downloads for v0.1.1
7 downloads for v0.1.2
9 downloads for v0.1.3
14 downloads for v0.1.4

After cleaning out downloads done via my forum (where I linked the Download for my users too):
10 downloads for the "competition entry" (v0.1_fixed)
9 downloads for v0.1.1
7 downloads for v0.1.2
8 downloads for v0.1.3
9 downloads for v0.1.4 (yay, increasing downloads :-))

25 different downloaders from here (no ref or not refering to my forum) did download at least 1 version (so the missing 11 came from my page).
Some of you downloaded all available downloads (these are the ones who gave feedback I assume ;-))
Some of you downloaded a file for multiple times - especially you UK guys!
UK#1 downloaded TrickOrSweets_v0.1.1.7z 5 times (not right each after another!)
UK#2 downloaded TrickOrSweets_v0.1.3.7z 7 times and v0.1.4.7z 2 times - no other versions (download the competition entry, buddy!)
UK#3 downloaded TrickOrSweets_v0.1.1.7z 2 times and TrickOrSweets_v0.1.4.7z 2 times

Ok, so conclusion to make? People did vote after either not trying that game at all (I doubt that) or they judged on versions finished _after_ the deadline (naughty naughty!). Dunno how to avoid such stuff in the next competition? This is especially required for "weekend competitions" (only 3 days time frame or so).

Another conclusion after seeing the votes: With that low population here you really need to consider the audience and their "favorite genres". I assume If I did a Child-Puzzle-Game (like these wooden-toy-puzzles) it would even attract less people. So I underestimated the "personal taste" when thinking about a potential game idea. Many users here are a bit older and enjoyed a different type of game in the past. I do not say that the other games are worse than mine (or better or whatever). Just recognized that the personal taste is more important the lower the amount of total voters will be. So maybe in the next competition people should/could vote for multiple aspects? So "overall impression", "presentation", "gameplay", "originality", "...". Problem is then to "weight" these things - but this allows for specific competitions, things tackling certain problems. Naming the weights _before_ a competition would allow a dev to do the right choices (programmer graphics ;-)).

Enough of the "datasheet stuff". Thanks for the votes. Will spend some money to allow Yue to leave his bicycle at home for some days and the money left will ensure a bigger present for my son to christmas.  Thanks.

PS: For next competition each game should contain a visual clue about the source of the competition: so it helps out spreading the word.

bye
Ron

Qube

That's all winners sent their prize via PayPal ;D

QuoteI guess Qube would then be able to enter (yay!)
Nope :P
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

I guess Qube would then be able to enter (yay!)
Nope :P

Aww.  If you're not choosing the theme (so cannot possibly get a head start) and cannot win any of the money, I really cannot see a problem at all.  :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

col

Thats awesome!!!

Well done to every one that entered, and big congratulations to the winners!

Well done BasicBoy - great job 8)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Rick Nasher

Congrats to all winners!

May the (dark) forces be with.. err.. :-)

Qube

QuoteAww.  If you're not choosing the theme (so cannot possibly get a head start) and cannot win any of the money, I really cannot see a problem at all.  :)

I lost the passion to compete once the idea came up that I could cheat by starting my game early and then announcing the competition. I wonder what would be next? "Oh you probably already had that game type and just reskinned it."  :-X - That's the reason I abandoned my Halloween entry. It was about 80% complete but not totally wasted time as the code can be reused at least.

Besides, I'm busy busy long time on other stuff ;D

Until the next time.