Unity Tutorials

Started by therevills, November 05, 2017, 05:17:31

Previous topic - Next topic

IanMartin

Quotehad to find work arounds
What did you have to change?  Anything we should know if we're thinking of trying it out?
Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

Steve Elliott

Are the replies from those saying 22mb is too much, a joke or something?

22mb for an empty project with no graphics or sound *is* very inefficient.  Because you have plenty of hard disk space these days, doesn't mean efficiencies should be ignored.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

22mb is rather large. But anything is these days. I've had plenty android games that once initial download is complete happily continue  downloading more upto like 100mb.

Which most gamers just accept as part of the deal.

Also, I don't think most people would download this on the fly but while on a Wi-Fi connection which doesn't cost a thing. So I'm not too worried about file size: if the game is good they will download it.

But I also went through the unity tuts and constantly running into outdated uncorrected stuff which I think is pretty s..
Also I find debugging pretty horrible in unity. Gave me the spaghetti feeling.
So in the end I was just too fed up. I find that even though initially adding things like shadows and physics is a breeze compared to blitz, pretty soon the whole thing spins into an out of control monster where doing even the most simple tasks in blitz take lots of work in unity.

That's why I jumped onto agk which I was pretty sceptical about given earlier experiences, but soon came to embrace as it brought back the fun in coding, at least for me. But not everyone is the same of course...

RemiD

For those of you who are familiar with Blitz3d, and want to learn Unity, there was a kind of wrapper made by "Patmaba", called "Blitzlike".
You can't do exactly things the same way in Unity than in Blitz3d, but it can help you to understand the fundamental commands...

Rick Nasher

Link?

[EDIT: this one's dead https://forum.unity.com/threads/blitzlike.107345/    which makes sense as it's from 2011 lol]

RemiD

I must have it somewhere on a dvd rom, let me check...

RemiD

Sorry i don't have it anymore, (i have destroyed my dvds which were made before 2013...) maybe you can download it on the wayback machine ?

Rick Nasher

No problem. I don't think it would get me very far anyway, for it's just a different beasty. I do not have any issues with the commands even though they do not read as clearly as Blitz's. 

It's more when trying to run the whole oop-ed thing, that's hanging onto another by threads, then it's sometimes not running at all and can be very tricky to find out why that is, while in other languages you'd be presented with at least a decent clue or something.

But could just be me.

ENAY

Rick Nasher,

If you use Visual Studio, you should check out "Visual Studio Tools for Unity", it's a free download.
Makes debbing in Unity god like.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/ja-jp/dn833194.aspx

Rick Nasher

QuoteIf you use Visual Studio, you should check out "Visual Studio Tools for Unity", it's a free download.
Makes debbing in Unity god like.

Hmm. That sounds interesting. Will see if I can break loose from AGK, which is really devouring all my attention.
AGK is also more my cup of tea to be honest and scales down way better on my aging hw so I can at least get things done. But thanks for the info, will certainly come in handy.

[EDIT]
Apparently it's a bit of a 'thing' to get it up and running under VS2017..
https://forum.unity.com/threads/visual-studio-2017-tools-for-unity-where-to-find-a-download.487787/

For 2015 can be found here:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SebastienLebreton.VisualStudio2015ToolsforUnity

Pfaber11

I know this is an old thread but I am now in the process of downloading unity 2019 . Never looked at it before and usually code in AGK classic which I really love . Just thought I would give it a try as the personal edition is free so nothing to lose . Don't know anything about C# as of yet but am going to take a look and see what I think. just looked and it's about 80% done . I'll post back later and tell you what I think. Gonna try finding some free tutorials for me to take a look at .
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

well it's all downloaded and up and running . Haven't got a clue what I'm doing with it as of yet . Gonna try and find a tutorial . Took ages to download and get it installed , it failed the first time on about 96% .  Hmm. If anybody has any tips on where to start it might prove useful. Got visual studio 2019.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

3DzForMe

My son's expressed an interest in coding.... Cue unity downloading onto his 64 bit desktop, woo hoo!

[Edit] More like Boo hoo, the primary IDE for Unity is second rate compared to IDEal:

BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Pfaber11

well I had a play around with unity and so far I think it's horrible . It's the syntax I don't like . Just not my cup of tea. Much prefer AGK2 which I've been using for the last 15 months and really like . What I really wanted was to learn a professional language which might lead to some sort of employment hence why I looked at unity . At least it didn't cost me anything to discover I don't get on with it . I will leave it on my hard drive in case I decide to take another look but I don't think I'll be heading in that direction.

Qube

Quote from: 3DzForMe on April 25, 2019, 21:53:23
My son's expressed an interest in coding.... Cue unity downloading onto his 64 bit desktop, woo hoo!

[Edit] More like Boo hoo, the primary IDE for Unity is second rate compared to IDEal:
What?, eh? - The primary IDE ( for code ) in Unity is Visual Studio and is probably one of the best IDE's you can get. It's far from second rate :o

Quote from: Pfaber11 on April 26, 2019, 12:21:20
well I had a play around with unity and so far I think it's horrible . It's the syntax I don't like . Just not my cup of tea.
You don't like C# or you didn't like the wordy Unity API?. AGK is very wordy too.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.