Author Topic: Unity Tutorials  (Read 2222 times)

Offline IanMartin

• Retrolutionary.com
Re: Unity Tutorials
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 01:28:58 AM »
had to find work arounds
What did you have to change?  Anything we should know if we're thinking of trying it out?
Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/

Online Steve Elliott

• You secure that shit Hudson!!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 10:26:48 AM »
Are the replies from those saying 22mb is too much, a joke or something?

22mb for an empty project with no graphics or sound *is* very inefficient.  Because you have plenty of hard disk space these days, doesn't mean efficiencies should be ignored.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 07:55:39 AM »
22mb is rather large. But anything is these days. I've had plenty android games that once initial download is complete happily continue  downloading more upto like 100mb.

Which most gamers just accept as part of the deal.

Also, I don't think most people would download this on the fly but while on a Wi-Fi connection which doesn't cost a thing. So I'm not too worried about file size: if the game is good they will download it.

But I also went through the unity tuts and constantly running into outdated uncorrected stuff which I think is pretty s..
Also I find debugging pretty horrible in unity. Gave me the spaghetti feeling.
So in the end I was just too fed up. I find that even though initially adding things like shadows and physics is a breeze compared to blitz, pretty soon the whole thing spins into an out of control monster where doing even the most simple tasks in blitz take lots of work in unity.

That's why I jumped onto agk which I was pretty sceptical about given earlier experiences, but soon came to embrace as it brought back the fun in coding, at least for me. But not everyone is the same of course...

Offline RemiD

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »
For those of you who are familiar with Blitz3d, and want to learn Unity, there was a kind of wrapper made by "Patmaba", called "Blitzlike".
You can't do exactly things the same way in Unity than in Blitz3d, but it can help you to understand the fundamental commands...

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 09:48:38 PM »
Link?

[EDIT: this one's dead https://forum.unity.com/threads/blitzlike.107345/    which makes sense as it's from 2011 lol]

Offline RemiD

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 08:56:36 AM »
I must have it somewhere on a dvd rom, let me check...

Offline RemiD

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 09:02:10 AM »
Sorry i don't have it anymore, (i have destroyed my dvds which were made before 2013...) maybe you can download it on the wayback machine ?

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 05:49:54 PM »
No problem. I don't think it would get me very far anyway, for it's just a different beasty. I do not have any issues with the commands even though they do not read as clearly as Blitz's. 

It's more when trying to run the whole oop-ed thing, that's hanging onto another by threads, then it's sometimes not running at all and can be very tricky to find out why that is, while in other languages you'd be presented with at least a decent clue or something.

But could just be me.

Offline ENAY

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 08:52:22 AM »
Rick Nasher,

If you use Visual Studio, you should check out "Visual Studio Tools for Unity", it's a free download.
Makes debbing in Unity god like.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/ja-jp/dn833194.aspx

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 11:43:14 PM »
If you use Visual Studio, you should check out "Visual Studio Tools for Unity", it's a free download.
Makes debbing in Unity god like.

Hmm. That sounds interesting. Will see if I can break loose from AGK, which is really devouring all my attention.
AGK is also more my cup of tea to be honest and scales down way better on my aging hw so I can at least get things done. But thanks for the info, will certainly come in handy.

[EDIT]
Apparently it's a bit of a 'thing' to get it up and running under VS2017..
https://forum.unity.com/threads/visual-studio-2017-tools-for-unity-where-to-find-a-download.487787/

For 2015 can be found here:
https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=SebastienLebreton.VisualStudio2015ToolsforUnity