Platformer Mining Game

Started by Pakz, November 07, 2017, 00:36:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Pakz

I have been able to spend more time then avarage on this game then most of my other things. I took an older project and started adding features to it.

The game is a platformer where you can travel down a procedurally generated mine. There are currently flying monsters that lay eggs. They hatch from eggs also, so they can grow in numbers. There is a Expanding slime monster with tentacles that can hurt you and can also grab the monsters near it. The slime monster can be destroyed piece by piece.
There are predefined area's that can be mined using the m key or with your weapons. You are armed with grenades and a shotgun. There are loot drops from monsters and mined tiles. You can set up laser walls that do not let monsters pass. There are currently not many graphics, only a number of procedurally generated rock tiles.

I still want to add a player inventory, a town at the top of the level with some tows people and a shop where you can buy/sell items. Also more monsters. I am currently thinking of adding rpg like features.

Latest playable version (browser)
https://cromdesi.home.xs4all.nl/emscripten/platformerminesx/Untitled1.html

There are probably a number of bugs still.

The main project page is here (on socoder.net) I write down the changes there if I am working on it.

http://socoder.net/?Showcase=54839

Game Feature Idea's are welcome.

Qube

You do some clever and impressive stuff, Pakz :) always a joy to see what you are up to.

QuoteThere are probably a number of bugs still.
It runs, it's fine, any bugs are undocumented uncompleted features :P

Have you ever thought about doing a complete game? or do you prefer working on conceptual ideas?
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pakz

Have you ever thought about doing a complete game? or do you prefer working on conceptual ideas?

I have not worked on something I though was worth spending on a lot of time on finishing (say years) I do imagine spending years on something that might be really good. Stories about how Minecraft or Stardew Valley got to be do inspire me. If someting I make ever gets good then spending more time on it would probably get easier. It also gets easier every year to make the things that I come up with.

And the way it is going in the world, I still have 30+ years to go before retirement.

RonTek

This is really nice Pakz and I remember trying out the Monkey-X version.

Pakz

Quote from: RonTek on November 08, 2017, 14:17:21

Was quite a while back that I made that. I finally had the idea to spend more time on it. I am at almost 4000 lines right now. No signs of burn out yet.

Am planning the town at the top of the level at the moment. With towns people and shop. Not to sure how to do the houses and background yet. I want to do something procedural so that every time the graphics are different.

I just uploaded a new playable version. Added power bars, walking monsters that jump towards player, hp damage effect, player inventory.

RonTek

Quote from: Pakz on November 08, 2017, 20:41:10
Quote from: RonTek on November 08, 2017, 14:17:21

Was quite a while back that I made that. I finally had the idea to spend more time on it. I am at almost 4000 lines right now. No signs of burn out yet.

Am planning the town at the top of the level at the moment. With towns people and shop. Not to sure how to do the houses and background yet. I want to do something procedural so that every time the graphics are different.

I just uploaded a new playable version. Added power bars, walking monsters that jump towards player, hp damage effect, player inventory.

Looking good. Maybe make it as a full game anytime soon? anyway, keep it up!

Pakz

QuoteLooking good. Maybe make it as a full game anytime soon? anyway, keep it up!

I have no idea what I am doing actually. I am adding things as I go. I do think that if I get it in a more completed state that I might put it on Gamejolt.

RonTek

Quote from: Pakz on November 09, 2017, 13:08:37
QuoteLooking good. Maybe make it as a full game anytime soon? anyway, keep it up!

I have no idea what I am doing actually. I am adding things as I go. I do think that if I get it in a more completed state that I might put it on Gamejolt.

good luck :)