VR - a disaster waiting to happen

Started by Matty, October 15, 2017, 07:59:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Can no one else foresee safety hazards to your eyes with VR?

I mean you're putting glass covered flammable (lithium battery) electronic devices with brightly lit screens at point blank range to your eyes.  It's as bad as peering into a toaster that could short out.  It's an accident and class action lawsuit waiting to happen.

muruba

It's possible but the guys behind it are richer than tobacco people these days so good luck suing them :)

NRJ

IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

degac

VR is just a ... bubble. Like 3dTV set will fade away.

The only useful thing is (as written by NRJ) AR: anyone can understand the use and the potential, no need to have a PhD in technology: just wear on some 'special' glasses and you can immediately see what is it.

PS: this means a big and fundamental need for the future (even for MX2) - some technology (or adoption of already tested one) to 'reconigze' the world, as AR is nomore than a 'layer of data' on the viewfield.
Apple & Google are working on the new APIs (and - unfortunately - the need of new hardware)... but again, I will put immediately on the 'to-do-list' (surely ABOVE the VR thing!)
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Steve Elliott

I've never liked the idea of putting 2 screens that close to my eyes.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

ENAY

I'm only worried about how it will affect your eyesight, looking at close range for such a long time.

therevills

Have you guys actually used any good VR headsets?

The experience is amazing, I've been using VR for over a year starting with crappy Oculus DK1, then PSVR and more recently the consumer version of the Oculus Rift.

@ENJAY - in VR you dont focus on the screen but the objects in 3D space so it feels nature and no eye strain for me.

@degac - maybe, but I'm enjoying the ride... lots of big companies are jumping onboard though.

@NRJ - Why is AR better than VR? I see them at totally different and to solve different issues. I'm actually not keen on AR as the CGI graphics do not mix nicely with real life.

muruba

There is obviously HUGE potential in education, for gaming I guess it stays in a niche, there is a chance adult industry catches up on it and people will hide them sets under beds so noone would know they have one :)

Rooster

Quote from: muruba on October 16, 2017, 03:26:58
There is obviously HUGE potential in education, for gaming I guess it stays in a niche, there is a chance adult industry catches up on it and people will hide them sets under beds so noone would know they have one :)
I hear that's how blueray and vhs caught on.

That said; joysticks are niche too, and they still get made/supported.

Dabz

I bought the PS4 VR headset... And, it's wicked! :)

Yeah, it's not crystal clear when it comes drawing objects in the distance, but it's adequate when you consider the price of it, compared to others that require a mega PC...

I've got a few games, VR Worlds, Robinson:The Journey and Mervils.

VR Worlds is fun, and showcases the kit perfectly, Robinson:The Journey is gorgeous and Mervils is, well, okay, not great, but not bad either.

I'm looking forward to Skyrim VR, but most of all... Moss... That, apparently is going to be something else! :)

Dabz 
Intel Core i5 6400 2.7GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (8GB), 16Gig DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 64bit

Qube

I've had a play with Playstation VR and found it great fun. I'm tempted to grab the full PS VR setup as a Christmas treat :D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Pingus

VR, with a decent headset (Vive, Rift, Pimax...), is just so awesome that no one can doubt that it is the future of gaming after having spent a bit of time with it. It can not replace any game, but once you experienced it, no way you can play a 'flat' game the same way.
I agree however with OP that VR based on a mobile is just incredibly risked. Oculus will release two headsets next year. Few things are known but as they are standalone, they will have battery inside, and a wifi emitter, so again this seems to me a unsecure move (althought beeing able to play with total freedom in a room should be a great fun).

Rick Nasher

VR is pretty cool. I've only watched it about 5 times or so and on a few crappy google 'cardbox' thingy's, which were not all as crisp and adjustable as should be, but a cool experience nevertheless.

Few drawbacks/remarks:
- My eyes are really sensitive to bright light so can only watch for limited amount of time and not often- so no long running free roaming world games for me.  :(

- I've heard even Samsung is worried about oled tech so close to the eyes. Apparently there were some cases in which people had adverse eye health effects. Doesn't surprise me really, as we do not really understand light (yet). I'm still waiting for e-ink to catch on.

- Matty is right for anything that can go wrong eventually will, so some people gonna be seriously injured by exploding batteries behind a glass screen and it will probably be kids for they are bit more careless about battery heat or game addicts.

- Some people really get dizzy from it(I did too after a while).

- Do *not* -and I repeat: Do *not* watch VR p0rn with it! ;D

(and no, that's not why I got dizzy hehehe..)

Rooster

Quote from: Pingus on October 17, 2017, 17:30:02
Oculus will release two headsets next year. Few things are known but as they are standalone, they will have battery inside, and a wifi emitter, so again this seems to me a unsecure move (althought beeing able to play with total freedom in a room should be a great fun).
That's a bummer for me. I really don't like dealing with battery's, I would prefer that it just be plugged in.

Quote from: Rick Nasher on October 17, 2017, 18:06:46
- Do *not* -and I repeat: Do *not* watch VR p0rn with it! ;D

(and no, that's not why I got dizzy hehehe..)
I wouldn't have had any inclination to do this, until you said not to do it. :P
So what is the reason for the warning?

therevills

Quote from: Pingus on October 17, 2017, 17:30:02Oculus will release two headsets next year.

Two? I thought just one... the Oculus Go... what is the other one? Santa Cruz is still in protoype stage, did they say it was going to be released next year?

Quote from: Rick Nasher on October 17, 2017, 18:06:46
VR is pretty cool. I've only watched it about 5 times or so and on a few crappy google 'cardbox' thingy's, which were not all as crisp and adjustable as should be, but a cool experience nevertheless.

Sorry to say Rick, but that to me isnt really VR - it gives the worst impression of "VR" too, least you found it "pretty cool". You really need 6 DOF in the headset, thats why I'm surprised with Oculus Go just have still having 3 DOF.