Monkey 2 - United we stand, divided we fall

Started by ms62, October 08, 2017, 15:31:23

Previous topic - Next topic

ms62

I have decided to go for Monkey 2 for ONE year, I mentioned in other posts, and why.

RonTek

Quote from: ms62 on October 10, 2017, 15:25:14
QuoteI don't think he's into that level of starting with a game engine from scratch. It's just he can't decide between the BRL products with his DirectX 12 and Desktop only preference.

Yes, but I am not crazy about DX 12.

I know, that's only an expression so don't take it seriously. :)

Quote from: ms62 on October 10, 2017, 15:31:22
I have decided to go for Monkey 2 for ONE year, I mentioned in other posts, and why.

Again good for you.. or try out other tools even non BRL products. That's all.

col

QuoteYou're quoting me out of context
Ahh yes I see. My apologies.
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

RonTek

Quote from: col on October 10, 2017, 15:43:28
QuoteYou're quoting me out of context
Ahh yes I see. My apologies.

No worries col, we're all just trying to help here as much as we can. :)

ms62

QuoteI know, that's only an expression so don't take it seriously.

It is an expression of an ideal. If you limit your scope to Windows desktop and a BlitzBasic language, then may demand upgrade to DX 12. That is a possibility.

So, the ideal is this:
Windows desktop, evolved BlitzBasic language, 2D-3D based on DX12 for it.

ms62

Quote.. or try out other tools even non BRL products ...

I may consider C++/DirectX as a choice one day.

RonTek

Quote from: ms62 on October 10, 2017, 15:57:12
QuoteI know, that's only an expression so don't take it seriously.

It is an expression of an ideal. If you limit your scope to Windows desktop and a BlitzBasic language, then may demand upgrade to DX 12. That is a possibility.

So, the ideal is this:
Windows desktop, evolved BlitzBasic language, 2D-3D based on DX12 for it.

wow again with those DX12, I'm starting to think the craze is now real. ;)

If you still have high hopes with BlitzBasic and Blitz3D stuff, then you should check out Blitz3D NG. Yes that's right, Blitz3D has also an NG equivalent in the works (latest activity/commit May 2017)

https://github.com/blitz3d-ng/blitz3d-ng

Apparently, the current renderer choice is OpenGL and old DX7, but roadmap states it will include newer DXs and of course cross platform plans.

I just found this out reading older forum posts so basically this has been going on for some time and it's nothing new.

ms62

Steve Elliott

United we stand, divided we fall. Despite its shortcoming, I have decided to support and work with Monkey 2 for one year. I will conclude and report about my illusion or realism after 12 months.

Well go and do just that!

Based on your seemingly fickle nature I doubt you will last 12 months, but anyway, good luck with your monkey 2 projects!   :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

ms62

QuoteBased on your seemingly fickle nature

All are just rational: Windows Desktop, BlitzBasic through Monkey 2 and settling with OpenGL ES 2.0 for now. 

Steve Elliott

But you told us you were going to work with only one language for a year...Except lol.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

ms62

QuoteBut you told us you were going to work with only one language for a year

I will work with Monkey 2 for a year. That is what I said. I didn't say I will work ONLY with one language. Within BlitzBasic umbrella, only Monkey 2 for a year for sure. I use other languages like Java, C++, Python for other reasons.

EdzUp

I would seriously consider Unity over MonkeyX both are equally as complicated but Unity has MUCH more support.

ms62

EdzUp,
I know, but Unity is not a computer language. I am interested in a BASIC- like language for Windows with modules for creating any applications. I know there are alternatives, but I like syntax of Blitz Research languages. Some have come to Blitz Research products, which are essentially computer languages, for producing games. Some, like me, to use them for games and other applications. One may say BRL has never settled with a final language, so relying on it is risky. This is true, but this risk exists for many other languages. Thus, I do not rely totally on Monkey 2. I just have decided to use and support it for one year. I prefer this:

QuoteNative compiler, easy & optimized BASIC programming language. PureBasic is a native 32-bit and 64-bit programming language based on established BASIC rules. ... We have put a lot of effort into its realization to produce a fast, reliable system friendly language.

But, I like Blitz Reseach approach to syntax, and I like a language to give me option For object oriented programing. Since our world is not always the way we want, compromize in some area is necessary. 'United we stand, divided we fall' is for those who like BRL languages, not for those who are looking for particular game making tool. Perhaps Unity is 'united' for game making for indies.